Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PowerMad Review of inFAMOUS for the PlayStation 3

Sponsored Links
    inFAMOUS is 1 of 3 triple A titles that are coming out this summer, the other 2 titles being Red Faction Guerrilla and Prototype.

People are really wondering if this underdog is really as good as it claims to be. The truth is inFAMOUS is better then I had expected, but it still let me down in certain areas. Although these areas are the same thing every other sandbox game (Besides GTA) does wrong.

Let me start off by saying I love the way inFAMOUS tells it's story. Using wonderful comic book style cutscenes, it truly does a well job on explaining how the city has gone to shit and the place is being quarantined in just 14 days... didn't make sense to me either but I'm not one to complain.

Along the way you must make choices like "Do I feed these people or take the food for myself and let them starve?"

Depending on your choice your karama will go up or down. Most of the choices are obvious as to which is good and which is bad, but there is one I can think of where you have to chose to blow up something putting waste into the water. If you're not careful you will end up doing the evil action.

All in all it works out pretty well. When you're bad you are wicked, and when you are good your a saint, and I absolutly mean that because the karma system works even better then Fallout 3's.

The scale wasn't too impressive. It's about 1/4 the size of Liberty city from GTA IV and that went online. On top of that there are a few popout issues when you are traveling fast. I hardly noticed them but if you're obsessive over the simpleist things it may be a problem for you.

But I am able to forgive it easily since there are almost no loading screens and the ones there are last maybe 5 seconds. Also the install only took a minute may 2, so those issues are expected but easy to forgive.

One thing I can't forgive however are the side missions. This is what every other company making a sandbox game needs to copy from GTA. In Grand Theft Auto every mission has a point to it or is it's own microstory that makes you connect to the character more.

In inFAMOUS and every other free roaming game I have played, the side missions are random damsel in distress missions. These are extremely boring redoing the same mission over and over again.

As for difficulty, you really should have no trouble completing this game. Although things can get a little hot towards the end of the game by that time you have a hell stash of powers already and can pretty much take on anything.

The music in this game is great, but I have a problem with the presentation. First off the music is way too low, I was trying to turn up just the volume for it but I looked all over in the options and couldn't find anything.

On top of that the createors said in a interview that they were trying to make it so the player wasn't annoyed by the music. What better way of doing that then by allowing players to use their own?

Well they didn't do that and that made me a little mad, beings the fact that they were the ones to point it out not me.

The last thing that really bothered me were the characters in the game. They were all very stiff and didn't provide any sort of connection. In other words, you wouldn't care if the company killed one of them off, very similar to Garzza from Killzone 2 where no one really cared that he died.

To wrap up this review, inFAMOUS has a large area in which to play, a few collectables and side missions. But there really isn't much to do after the main quest is over.

That said, inFAMOUS has the potential to get better with number 2, and it's still one of the best games to come out this year. Will it beat Red Faction and Prototype?

I can't say for sure, but I'm almost positive Prototype is going down. As for Red Faction, thats going to be hard to beat.

Anyway, Thanks for reading!

Gameplay: 10/10
    Graphics: 8/10
    Sound: 10/10
    Presentation: 7/10

Overall: 92/100

Recommended to:

Casual: Yes
    Hardcore: Yes
    Obsessive: Yes
    Retro: Maybe
    Universal: Yes

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    Very nice job CyanCaze and +Rep!

I have also linked your inFamous review in our archive here: http://reviews.ps3news.com/

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links
    Great review.. I had a few let downs also: The graphics really let me down you know? I could understand if it were ps2, but ps3 is way more capable than that... but there are plenty of good things about this game I would recommend trying the demo out there to my friends. It's a game you ether like or don't.

Guys, i have to say, after very eagerly waiting for the inFamous demo to download, i finally installed it and set out to see what this game really looked like, other than the trailers i've been collecting all these months.

The truth is... the Graphics are HORRIBLE! I have NEVER been so disappointed with a game that was supposed to be very good. It's definitely NOT an AAA title. I don't care what the reviews say. I know Gamespot gave it a 9/10 Editor's Choice, but i still can't agree with it. The gameplay isn't very addictive, in fact, it gets very repetitive and annoying in the demo. The movements of the character are all limited and it definitely does NOT look like a PS3 next-gen game. This is more PS2 era stuff. The draw distance in the game is simply... not good. You can see maybe two blocks around you and then it's all hues. GTA4 and even San Andres is soo much better than this.

I don't get it. Why did Sucker Punch opt for such a bad graphic job on this game? I went strolling around Empire City and every second of it was just like a very poor imitation of GTA, but with electric powers. That's all it really is. I am a great fan of PS3. In fact i have an xbox360 also, still new and unused since months. I only played Gears of Wars on it. The rest of the time i'm on Killzone2 online or LBP, or R2 or Motorstorm pacific rift, etc (pretty much all the PS3 exclusives is right here in my drawer). Anyways, inFamous should have been in that drawer as well, but i think i'll just wait until it's price falls to half of what it is now, as i really think it's been over-valued. I'll get it just for the sake of my PS3 exclusive games collection.

Too bad, Sucker Punch could easily have made an excellent game out of this. I get the impression Prototype (what a coincidence! Or is it? Prototype is almost exactly like inFamous, except your powers are so vastly more superior, as you can copy people's abilities and appearances, etc) looks like the one to buy, instead of inFamous. I feel bad saying that, but when it's not good, there's no denying it, and inFamous is no exception.
    Last edited by sharks; 05-29-2009 at 06:22 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Tranced View Post
    Great review.. I had a few let downs also: The graphics really let me down you know? I could understand if it were ps2, but ps3 is way more capable than that... but there are plenty of good things about this game I would recommend trying the demo out there to my friends. It's a game you ether like or don't.
    Yeah I was going to bash the graphics originally, but here's the thing. When you are playing on a 1080P Monitor the graphics go from horrible to amazing. Before I played in on my monitor I had it hooked up to a old 480P TV, and I can't even read some letters on it anymore.

One more thing you must also note, the game is written like a comic book. Comic books have a specific style to them and the graphics represent that perfectly.

So in reality if you play the game on anything less then a 720P Screen they look like crap.
    Last edited by CyanCaze; 05-29-2009 at 06:29 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by CyanCaze View Post
    Yeah I was going to bash the graphics originally, but here's the thing. When you are playing on a 1080P Monitor the graphics go from horrible to amazing.
    Maybe that's why I've been puzzled by the complaints about the game's graphics. While they're not amazing or anything, they certainly struck me as competent. Definitely not "terrible". But I've got my PS3 hooked up to a goodly-sized 1080p screen. Never occurred to me that people might still use those old SD screens.

Fine, the graphics don't 'blow you away'. But I didn't find them detracting from the experience, and the rest of it is quite a bit of fun. Moving around the city is smooth; there hasn't been a place I couldn't figure out how to get to in short order. The fights are challenging without being frustrating, especially with the checkpoints, and the powers are cool. The story's not bad, either. I don't regret preordering a bit.

The only frustrating thing is that my son's had way more time to play it than me and is much further along.

bla

the graphics are ok, stop complaining about them, I do agree that they should have been better then gta 4 since it's 1/4 of the city but i'm also guessing that sucker punch is less of a big company then rockstar right? anyways graphics don't ruin this game at all.

I think the side missions, the character development and THE POWERS there simply weren't enough.. I was at 40% of the story and pretty much leveled everything up.. it's a good thing there were some collectibles. Oh and demo sucks don't try it.

But anyway.. I liked this game very much. But please don't ***** about graphics, this is a 3rd person which means graphics are pretty much assured to be less good then kz2 or any other fps.
    Last edited by xxLindenxx; 05-29-2009 at 06:53 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News