Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PowerMad Review of Ghostbusters: The Video Game for PS3

Sponsored Links
    Ah... My childhood memories are coming back to me. This is Ghostbusters: The video game available for the PlayStation 3, Xbox
    360, PC, Wii, Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, Sega Genesis, Sega Mega Drive, Nintendo Entertainment System, Atari 2600, and... we will just say it's available for almost every gaming console ever made.

The version I am reviewing is for the PlayStation 3, and it was made by Atari. However, I heard that Activision made the one for the Atari 2600, both Sega Consoles and two of the Nintendo consoles.

It's quite odd how Atari didn't make the game for their own console, (a port later maybe?) and it's a shame since this version is at least 900 times better than the versions Activision made.

But in all seriousness I actually had a pretty good time on this game, I have to start off by saying Atari has made the perfect Ghostbusters game port.

Not that it is a perfect game, by no means is it that. But what I mean is it comes so close the the original film this hits the nail on the head.

Lets start off with the story. Now I said in the video I can explain it to you, but until you experience it for yourself you won't understand.

Gozer (the god thing from the first movie) is trying to open up an interdimensional portal back into the Ghostbusters world in order to rule over the plane they banished him from in the first movie.

Along the way you fight Stay Puft and a few other bosses, most of which I have never seen in any Ghostbusters movie before so I believe no one will understand their names even if I post them here.

Your job is to beat Gozer and send him back through the interdimensional transport back to his own world.

Me? I really don't care what my job is I just wanted to catch some ghosts... which brings me to a disappointing part of the game. You can capture ghosts and you do a lot of it in the first few chapters, but after that you're mostly fight possessed objects like Book monsters.

As for gameplay, besides which I just said it's pretty straight forward and fun. You have to scan around with your PKE meter and track the ghosts back to their origin then capture and take them back to the containment grid.

Your weapons include a Proton pack, some freezing blue pack thing, some really powerful dart energy thing which I use to take down larger foes, and a Slime pack if that isn't enough for you... because everyone knows ghosts hate slime and positronic energy.

Along the way you can find cursed artifacts, which really do nothing. But each one of them has a pretty funny story behind them. Like the cursed toilet of doom that, when flushed back at GBHQ, a hand comes out.

The game is pretty fun overall... a bit short and easy, but satisfying none the less.

As for the sound in game, I love how they decided to put music playback in the PS3 version of the game, however I don't like how every time a loading screen comes up it starts playing the Ghostbusters theme from the beginning... it has to be the most annoying loading screen ever in a game!

Besides that the sound in game is pretty good, but I wish the character's lips matched up with what is actually being said.

Which brings me to presentation- The presentation of this game isn't the worst I have ever seen but it's pretty bad. What reflects this score is mostly how smooth the game runs.

You are stuck in an over-the-shoulder view throughout the entire game, so that's miserable. And what helps even more is the fact you can't switch your character from the left side of the screen to the right. Thank god they added the PKE meter which allows you to walk around in first person for a short time.

After all that you will say "It can't possibly get any worse can it?" Well the menu navigation is mediocre at best, and as I said before their lips are out of sync so it looks like they are talking sock puppets.

All in all the game is pretty decent. Again, I can't stress the fact enough that if you don't like the Ghostbusters movies you will NOT like the game.

Thanks for reading!

Gameplay: 8/10
    Graphics: 7/10
    Sound: 7/10
    Presentation: 4/10

Overall: 72/100

Recommended to:

Casual: Maybe
    Hardcore: No
    Obsessive: No
    Retro: Yes
    Universal: Maybe

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Cool

Sponsored Links
    +Rep for the review CyanCaze I have also added it to our Reviews page: http://reviews.ps3news.com

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Nice work I intend to be playing it through out the week. I'm not really a die hard Ghostbusters fan, but you cannot deny the classics. The gameplay graphics and gamestyle originality really got me into the title after I seen the first screenshots months ago. It's really to bad there CGI cutsceens suck though, but I can live with that.

And by the way Ghostbusters for NES was actually a pretty good and innovative game for it's time, they had driving and ghost hunting. Something this title most likey doesn't offer, but oh well.

ZOOL Building. FTW!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Lol Glad you liked it. It seems to be going this way.

50% of people hate the review, 50% of people love it. Of the 50% of people who hate it most of them hate the fact I told hardcore gamers not to buy it, and they consider them selves a Hard core gamer but enjoy the game so they are confused and thing I am insulting them by not calling them hardcore.

I my self am a universal gamer, But I have always had a problem with the NES version of the game, even when I was younger.

Anyway I am glad you enjoyed it Veritech.

The thing is, is that you were considering that a harcore gamer is that of someone who wants the games with the most replay value being that they are dedicated and put in the countless hours. Given that reason you strayed away from putting this title out there as good for the hardcore gaming group. I suggest you add a rent or buy section so in this case you can state that it's a must rent, for hardcore gamers because they'll probably play it out in a week anyway. And a purchase for fans of the movie that are just casual gamers that only play about 8-4 hours a week.

A lot of users is so quick to judge others work on these community driven gaming sites, but when it comes down to it there the ones not contributing, or lacking of quality in there materials.

Forget the haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritech View Post
    The thing is, is that you were considering that a harcore gamer is that of someone who wants the games with the most replay value being that they are dedicated and put in the countless hours. Given that reason you strayed away from putting this title out there as good for the hardcore gaming group. I suggest you add a rent or buy section so in this case you can state that it's a must rent, for hardcore gamers because they'll probably play it out in a week anyway. And a purchase for fans of the movie that are just casual gamers that only play about 8-4 hours a week.

A lot of users is so quick to judge others work on these community driven gaming sites, but when it comes down to it there the ones not contributing, or lacking of quality in there materials.

Forget the haters.
    Indeed it's one of the things you have to do as a review to ignore the haters. But I think the vast majority of hardcore gamers would hate this game so I can't even recommend that they rent it.

But most people who did get mad got mad because they were ghostbusters fans, other then that nothing really mattered. But they were not paying attention when I said "This is not a perfect game, but it is a perfect ghostbusters game". Ah well, what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by CyanCaze View Post
    Indeed it's one of the things you have to do as a review to ignore the haters. But I think the vast majority of hardcore gamers would hate this game so I can't even recommend that they rent it.
    I'm not so sure the majority of the hardcore would hate it... the controls are smooth (I feel) and the presentation is pretty high too. I actually think it will make new fans of Ghostbusters, rather than only appeal to existing fans.

In saying that, it gets damn repetitious... but so does Halo!

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News