Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PowerMad Review of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for PS3

Sponsored Links
    It's time for my brand new Call of Duty 6 PS3 review. I'm sorry, I mean Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2... Wait I don't think that's right either. Alright one last try, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, that's the title.

I love the Call of Duty Franchise, but I feel that they may be getting a little out of hand with the titles of their games.

Although Activision isn't the only company to mess this up, I find it quite annoying, and a person who doesn't follow the series very closely wont be able to distinguish in what order the games came out without doing research beforehand.

A minor complaint but the question is "Where does this fit into the Call of Duty series?" and quite simply put, Activision decided to split the series into two different game titles.

Modern Warfare made by Infinity Ward, and World at War made by Treyarch. Although the first Modern Warfare game was called Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, it is not a part of the original series and instead is classified under their new separate call of duty series.

Like I said before I believe it's a little too confusing for the average person, so I suggest their next game be called "Call of Duty 7: Call of Duty: World at War: The series that is still Call of Duty, but is not the same as Modern Warfare, and is actually made from different people. Oh and if you can't tell the difference after reading this, then you obviously have no eye for individualism."

But I digress, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, could be called "Girly Bunny Saviors" and it would still be an awesome game. And for those of you who are wondering, yes, they brought back their award winning control scheme.

I was quite impressed that Modern Warfare 2 not only had the biggest game launch in the history of the world, but it was also the biggest media launch. Yes, a Game beat out the opening weekends for every single movie ever made, every single book ever made, and every single music CD ever made. Take that popular culture! It's like I always say, games are now the most popular form of entertainment.

Anyway, the game takes place a few years after the first Modern Warfare left off. Throughout the story you play primarily play as a soldier know as "Roach", who is part of a secret black unit of the CIA known as the "141". Though there are a total of 4 characters you get to take control of, the only one from the original game I recognize is "Soap".

Like the first game, you start off in boot camp and you learn your basics there. Though I didn't find this one as annoying as the one from the previous game, and it teaches you a lot faster.

As you play through the story you will encounter certain buildings you need to blow up, as well as some pretty neat weapons you get to take control of; my favorite would have to be the predator missile which you control all the way until it hits it's target.

Yes the weapons in this game are borderline awesome, but in multiplayer a few can seem a bit unfair and cheap, but I will get to that later. If you're a military gun expert, or a tech weapons junkie, Modern Warfare 2 should be a suitable match for you. Although some people are easily offended by the airport level close to the beginning of the game, however Activision does give you the option to skip the mission if you desire to do so.

I really did enjoy the storyline to this game, though like previous Call of Duty games before it, you can easily be distracted and lose track of what is going on in the game. Actually, I saw a few people who claimed the storyline wasn't coherent.

The only thing I have to say if you feel that way is pay closer attention to what's going on around you. I would have to say this is my second favorite single player Call of Duty next to number 4. And I actually believe the Modern Warfare storyline would make a great "Game to Movie" Transition. However to avoid spoiling the story I can't really talk too much about it.

The graphics in the single player game are decent and what you would expect. Are they the best looking graphics used in a game? No, but then again they don't have to be. Through I kind of wish developers would put more time into making a very popular game series like call of duty look as good as possible on each platform it is released on.

That said, the visuals and art direction this game takes are superb to say the least. And just because it isn't the best looking game ever made, that doesn't mean the graphics aren't good. The attention to detail is one thing you will constantly see throughout this game.

The make sure all the weapons look as close as they can to their real counter parts. Add all that, plus a great environment, and you have one of the most visually appealing games to date.

I really only have two complaints about the main campaign's story. One, it's way too short. Compared to the previous Call of Duty in the Modern Warfare series and.... Two, it doesn't end properly and leaves a BIG cliff hanger. But if you can set these two complaints aside, then you should have a great time playing through the single player.

I really wish I could talk more on single player, but as I said that would lead to spoilers. But for those who are wondering the game is a must have for anyone who enjoyed Call of Duty 4.

So now that I have revealed as much as I can about single player without spoiling anything, it's time to move on to a new mode called "Spec Ops".

Spec Ops is just Co-op with a glorified name. One thing I hate about all current games that offer co-op is the missions they offer. I want a Resident Evil 5 style Co-op where you can play through the entire campaign with your gaming friend. That said Special Ops offers quite a few missions that anyone should enjoy.

There are a total of 23 missions in Spec Ops. Each mission is unique and you can do them with your friends or go it alone, and by going alone I mean it's not even possible so don't try to by your self.

Since I don't think this will spoil anything for you, I believe I can actually talk about the levels. First off I have always been the type of person that likes to get stealth kills, if you're like me they are never in short supply. There is the snowfield level from the game where you are with a certain captain. (Spoiler or I would say his name...)

Instead of the computer determining when you shoot someone you get to either do it with your team mate or as I said before go it alone. In fact, me and my pal Ryan got so good at shooting the soldiers we were in perfect sync even with the 1 and a half second mic lag.

Other levels include a level where someone is piloting a black hawk protecting their friend from swarms of enemies, a level where someone is in the AC 130 protecting their friend from swarms of enemies, and a few levels where there are just swarms of enemies you have to kill and protect your friend from. I am noticing a pattern here.... In every single one of these missions you kill people!

Anyway, besides the over use of enemy swarms I found most of the levels extremely fun. Actually what surprised me is the use of levels from previous games. The level where you take control of the AC 130 while your ally is on the ground, actually takes place at the camp where you find Al-Asad from the first game.

In addition to that, many fans will be pleased to hear that the sniper level in Pripyat made it's way to Spec Ops. Though it's not the entire level, and you actually go through it backwards. Though that isn't the most annoying thing about this game, sadly everyone instantly knows where you are. So there is no way to sneak through it unnoticed.

You'd think they would have been able to avoid the instant detection by enemies after doing in the snow field level. But hey, I'm not a programmer and I don't know what it takes to do something like that.

In Spec Ops you are rewarded at the end of a match via a star point system. Normally you get 3 points for completing it on veteran, 2 points for completing it on hardened, and 1 point for completing it on recruit. Although there are a few cases where you have to complete a level in a certain time.

All in all, I think Spec Ops was a great addition to the call of duty franchise and I hope to see it in future games. However I much rather see a Co-op mode like what we saw in Call of Duty: World at War. Playing Co-op in split screen, or online with your buddy through the campaign is much better then playing a few random missions with them.

Now it's time to move to online competitive play. This should be the soul reason you buy this game, in fact I don't even know where to start. Right now it seems that since the online game play has changed from Call of Duty 4, everyone is either against the changes, loves them, or doesn't care. Personally I think most of the changes are improvements and some of them are just plain cheap.

Now obviously their not going to change the basic outline of their online game play. Simply put, it has fluent control, Skills and weapons to unlock, and perks. Simply put, it's a online FPS/TPS RPG, Depending on the mode you play. The RPG aspects of the game are known as Perks, Death streaks, and Kill steaks and even the weapons them selves.

Lets start of will Perks. Perks provide a unique advantage that can range from reloading faster to having unlimited sprint. You get to pick three different perks before you go into battle, however there are three separate lists, and those perks must be picked from their own corresponding list. For example, a perk from perk list one can't be used as the third perk. One goes with one, two for two, and three for three. There is no cross over.

Although perks aren't the most important aspect of the game. Poorly picked perks will lead to disaster, and make it much harder for you and your team to win.

Death steaks are next. Death streaks are use to avoid the absolute pwnage of noobies, but also take away a very annoying cheapness in the game. I am of course talking about Martyrdom. Martyrdom use to be available as a perk in Call of Duty 4 after a certain level.

The perk allowed you to drop a grenade after you died, and many players considered it cheap as the grenade would explode after about three seconds, leaving little to no time to escape.

I can recall at least fourteen times I was killed by someone using martyrdom, and I have only played Call of Duty 4 for a few hours. In Modern Warfare 2, martyrdom requires you to die four times in a row in order to use it.

This makes the grenade have a much less of a chance to kill you. Martyrdom isn't the only death streak reward, there are a few others like copy cat or pain killer, But like martyrdom good players will hardly notice them.

Now on to one of the biggest updates to the RPG Elements of this game, kill streak rewards. In Call of Duty 4 and World at War, Kill streaks were all preset. In Call of Duty 4, you got a UAV after 3 kills in a row, an airstrike after 5 kills in a row, and a Helicopter after 7 kills in a row. In Call of Duty: World at War, First you got a recon plane, then a carpet bomb, followed by a release of vicious dogs that would rip your enemies throat out.

In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 some can only wish it was that simple. Instead of having three simple kill streak rewards there are now over ten, although you can only equip 3 at any one time, it can be quite annoy having to adjust your strategy every single time you do into battle. All in all, I see it as an improvement, but again it's a little more complicated.

Anyway, The weapon's and weapon attachments them selves are the final part of the RPG aspect of the game. Besides the obvious difference between power and other obvious advantages different guns will bring, there are unlocks. These are quite simply put, things like get 25 kills with this weapon to unlock a new weapon attachment. Or get 500 head shots with this weapon. So I won't go into them anymore then that.

That is really all of the RPG Aspects of the game, However don't think that's all the online has to offer. Although a large portion of the online is RPG based, there are over still 30 different weapons to choose from, and a range of different multiplayer modes, including Team Death Match, Domination, and Free for all. As well as a boat load of maps including, Rust, Derail and Sub base.

I don't think I need to explain every single mode online like I did for Uncharted 2. In other words if you want to know all the different modes available and how they are played, you will have to find that elsewhere. Just know that the online is superb and should have something for everyone. Including someone like my self who doesn't normally like FPS's

To wrap up this review let me just say that if you are looking for one of the best FPS's on the market then look no further. I enjoyed Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 greatly. Infinity Ward has surely out done them selves. There isn't very much more you can ask for from a game developer, it has good graphics, a great storyline, and superb game play.

And although it had a some controversy with the airport level in the beginning and it was hyped through the roof, Infinity Ward still provided a great experience that will be remembered for years to come.

For this reason I am giving the game a 9.6 out of 10 and am recommending it to anyone who enjoys online multiplayer, a great story, and doesn't believe games should be censored.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Nice job with the review as usual CyanCaze! I added it to our Reviews page and will update the first post with your video of it hopefully later tonight.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Looks good CyanCaze and nice review indeed.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News