Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PlayStation Tips #4 - DLNA media server

Sponsored Links
    Some of you may have heard the term "DLNA" on this blog or elsewhere, and the term has been discussed recently with the 2.10 firmware update that added DivX video support.

For those who aren't familiar or want a refresher, DLNA stands for Digital Living Network Alliance - it's basically a group of companies developing technology to make it easier to share videos, music, and photos between devices. PS3 is DLNA-compliant, so the system can "talk" to your PC and access media files on your PC's hard drive. There are multiple ways to setup DLNA on your PC, and Eric Lempel covered one of them here. Another great option is TVersity.

What's cool about PS3's DLNA feature is that it's not limited to your living room. Combine the feature with Remote Play, and you can play back media files using your PSP wherever there's a Wi-Fi hotspot.

If you're traveling for the holidays and you're stuck at the airport, DLNA and Remote Play won't make your delay any shorter, but it can certainly make the time go by faster.

PlayStation Tips #4 - DLNA media server

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but Windows Media Player 11 has a compatible DLNA server built into it which is extremely simple to use:

- launch Windows Media Player 11
    - go to Tools... Options... Library
    - click Configure Sharing
    - click Share my media... click OK

A Media Sharing window appears. If your PS3 is on, logged in and attached to your network it should appear here (as Unknown Device).

On your PS3 just go to Videos or Music and at the top of the list you should see your PC's name. Click on that and browse your shared media!

To choose which files and folders are shared, simply click (in Windows Media Player) the Monitor Folders button (it is located on the same screen you clicked Configure Sharing).

Now a great feature of this sharing isn't just that you can play music and videos off your PC, but you can also copy the files directly to your PS3! Press the Triangle button on a media file to find the copy options (use Copy Multiple if you want to copy more than one!).

Also, when using this method to copy to your PS3's HDD you don't have to worry about file sizes. I was able to copy over several high def movies, some of which are over 12GB in size!

Finally a use for that 500GB HDD upgrade I did nearly a year ago lol!

Sponsored Links

Question vmc troubles

Sponsored Links
    hey, ive been trying to do something similar with vilvic media centre to send over a blue-ray rip (converted to mp4 or something) and have not been that successful. I just wanted to know if u have tried sending a full blue ray movie to the ps3 hdd via wmp11 (in one piece).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    hey, ive been trying to do something similar with vilvic media centre to send over a blue-ray rip (converted to mp4 or something) and have not been that successful. I just wanted to know if u have tried sending a full blue ray movie to the ps3 hdd via wmp11 (in one piece).
    I did something similar. I had several HD videos recorded off of DVB-S into .TS format.

I converted those into .MPG and then WMP11 will share the file with the PS3.

You can't share a .M2TS file, so I don't think BluRay is gonna work without some converting of the container first. Maybe if there's a way to trick WMP11 into sharing .M2TS files...

I'm going to try changing .M2TS into .MPG. If I get that to work, I'll let you know.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News