PlayStation 3 System Software Update v3.40 is Available Soon
As previously rumored and confirmed, today of Sony's VP of Network Operations Americas Eric Lempel has announced that PlayStation 3 System Software Update v3.40 and PSP Firmware v6.30 arrives tonight and will be available soon to download.
To quote: Hi everyone, once again we're adding new features to the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system via firmware update to ensure we're bringing you the best, most comprehensive entertainment experience possible.
PS3 system software update (v3.40) will be available soon, adding the PlayStation Plus subscription, enhancements to the connection between your PlayStation Network and http://www.facebook.com/ accounts and more.
Additionally, we'll be launching system software update (v6.30) for the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system simultaneously with PS3 system software update (v3.40), adding PlayStation Plus compatibility as well as other new features.
We've gone ahead and provided a few highlights from PS3 firmware update (v3.40) below:
- PlayStation Plus: PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership to PlayStation Plus; a new subscription service on the PlayStation Network that provides you with new options to expand and enhance your gaming experience and enable you to gain an exclusive set of features and content. Friendly reminder, all of you PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to PlayStation Network's unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of gaming features, content and functionality.
- Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on http://www.facebook.com/ and Picasa Web Album. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.
- Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables you to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or http://www.youtube.com/.
- Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate the PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
- Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing you with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.
In addition to the latest features introduced in PS3 system software update (v3.40), a separate, new PlayStation Network application on Facebook.com will be made available. This builds upon what was previously launched with Trophies and the ability to publish purchases from the PlayStation Store. Now you can further integrate your PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts with this new application.
The application allows you to display your PlayStation Network profile on your Facebook account, find out which of your Facebook friends have a PSN account and send them a PlayStation Network friend request, view your PSN friends' online status and add the PlayStation Network application tab to your Facebook user profile.
yeh it seems that every update that is released also has its share of "this bricked my console" rants, but coz every console is different (age, condition, maintenance) it could be anything else except the update!
adding features is a step in the right direction.
adding USEFUL features would be an even bigger step though!
The video edit & upload feature seems nice as long as it doesn't ruin the quality, otherwise I'll continue to use Vegas for simple edits. I'd like to see some new visualizations added to the music player, or even charge for them in the PS Store.
Sony isn't concerned with giving people useful features. They're concerned with some unknown agenda that is making our beloved PS3 seem more like a toy, and further erodes the value, and fun.
I have lost track of how many system software updates have gone by that were a complete waste of time. All I want to do is play games by myself. Screw multiplayer. Screw facebook, and screw premium content.
Give me the content when I buy the friggin' disc. I'm tired of the recent rash of short video games. It took me far less time to finish Bioshock 2 than Bioshock 1. Asassin's Creed 2 felt rushed. Prince of Persia TFS - while fun to play, it left me wanting my money back. God of War III, same thing. Heavy Rain - I blinked, and the game was finished. Considering these games retail in Canada for $60 to $70, I expect a better game that lasts longer and has replay value.
So... another boring update. Thank you Sony. I wonder if this one will be the final nail in my PS3's coffin. I really hope not, because if it takes my PS3 down, I'm taking my business elsewhere.
I don't know about you guys but the five star rating on the playstation store really seems useful. That way you could avoid purchasing a lousy game or you can purchase something you didnt think was that good. Additionally the playstation plus seems okay, not the best but okay.
Can anyone tell me if the firmware 6.20 for the psp is actually hackable on the psp 3001 units? Cause if thats the case I would seriously consider going to buy one NOW. Anyone?
Didn't they mention somewhere that the first three months of PS+ was suppose to be free to try? I hope they do because I'm not sure if people are willing to pay for these minor features. We'll just have to wait and see. Keep your fingers crossed guys.