Even with the PS3 Firmware 3.0 official full changelog
available, it appears there are some previously unmentioned extras surfacing in the update.
To begin, PSInsider (linked above) reports that an integrated connection speed test is now included... as pictured below.
To quote: "The first I noticed is a speedtest in the connection test. So next time you turn on your ps3, you can find what your ps3 is pulling down, and the upload speed too."
Next up, http://www.psnathome.com/general/cant-download-game-content-on-ps3-slim-heres-the-issue.html/ states that a PS3 Slim 'game content' download fix is included in the update, as follows:
If you just recently bought a PS3 Slim and wanted to download your game content to your Slim PS3 it will say to you "Please Deactivate a System", I then decided to call Sony because I knew I only have 2 Systems the Original PS3 and the newest Slim version.
After being on hold, a tech support told me the reason and the reason is and I do quote him:
"I am not suppose to tell anyone about this but, since retailers sold the slim PS3 before the release day which is September 1st, the PlayStation 3 Slim was released with a small bug which prevents from downloading Video and Game Content since the firmware is not compatible with the content, this is why were releasing a patch (version 3.00) either later on today or possibly a day after."
Finally, here are some expanded details from the PS3 Firmware 3.0 Update via http://www.gamersdigest.net/3329/ps3-firmware-3-00-stealth-updates/:
- Remote Play
- Now an option for mobile phones, no doubt in preparation for the Sony Ericsson 'Aino', which will have remote play capabilities.
- Start-up Sequence
- The start-up sequence has been updated with the new PS3 logo and sound, it appears on the 'fat' PS3 systems too.
- Up-scaling Audio
- You can now up-scale audio from the hard drive or a USB source to 88.2 Khz or 176.4 Khz.
- Video Playback
- You can now manipulate video playback on PS3 using the right analogue stick on your controller. Moving the analogue stick will pause the video outright and give you the ability to rotate the stick to advance or rewind the video in slow motion or up to 4X speed. To resume normal playback simply release the stick.
- Print Screen
- The web browser has a print screen functionality that can now utilize compatible printers connected to PS3 through USB or LAN.
- Busy Indicator
- The busy indicator has been replaced by the analogue clock from the 'Status Indicator'. To show that the PS3 is busy the clock will start spinning, when finished the clock will go back to the correct time.
- Fonts & Icons
- The size of the fonts and icons on the XMB have been increased considerably.
More PlayStation 3 News