Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Playstation 3 Blu Ray drive will cost Sony $100+

Sponsored Links
    Playstation 3 Blu Ray drive will cost Sony $100+

Friday 02 September 2005, 13:06

BLU RAY drives for the Playstation 3 will cost Sony a small fortune. It turns out that at the release of the console in the first half of 2006, Sony will have to pay more than $100 per drive it builds in Playstation 3. This is a lot of money, because even in retail you can buy a DVD +RW drive for less than $50 now. This means that Microsoft can get it much cheaper than $50, maybe even half that price, due to the enormous quantity it needs to buy for millions of XboX 360 consoles.

Blu Ray marchitecture looks great as its backward compatible with DVDs and CDs, and you can store 25GB per layer on the Blu Ray media. This will provide you with an amazing 50GB for two layer drives at some point in the future.

Nevertheless, it's a very expensive step that Sony is willing to take as it will increase cost of Playstation 3 unit dramatically. Sony said Playstation 3 is going to be expensive and this is one of the reasons why.

Microsoft is playing a safe game here, it will launch with DVD+RW but in some point in the future might release a new Xbox 360 version with HD-DVD or a Blu Ray drive. We donít expect that this will happen anytime soon, but we are sure it will happen at some point in the next few years.

At least Sony will push the mass availability of Blu Ray drives and medias as it plans to ship hundredes of thousands of consoles in 2006.

This sounds not to good: :stickpoke

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The system will obviously be somewhere around the $400 dollar range at launch. I dont care what anybody says, the blue ray technology is the smart move for Sony and it might hurt Microsoft in the long run.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I think the Blu-Ray format will give sony the edge even with the higher price tag. You've already heard complaints from a publishers that the 360 restricts them in what they can do, short of releasing a game across 5 dvd's. Publishers should be very happy the the PS3 has decided to go Blu-Ray as this gives them a much bigger pallett for working on.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sony's paying a price, but i think it will work out in the long run; because i think a lot of people are going to buy it cause it will be one of the cheapest (if not cheapest) Blu-Ray player on the market.

Same idea behind the PS2's sucess in the japanese market

Absolutely. Sony will do to Blu-Ray what it did for DVD. They WILL shine in the end. Let's hope this HD for the X-360 comes out sonner than later. Don't think they wanna deal with what Nintendo did with thier 64. Many companies went bye-bye when the big "N" stayed away form CDs, which was the obvious route to take. This is looking like the same battle. They need to make the developers job easier and I just don't think people are going to be digging this 2+ disk games thing anymore... we're well past those days :stickpoke

Eh. These Blu-rays will come down in price eventually too. When that happens, Drake will be there to strike!

I remember laughing at the idea of a game being on a DVD. It was way more space than we needed. Thought it would only benefit production costs of RPG's. But games got bigger. So with Blu-Ray, I think we're gonna see a shift in game size again.

Unfortunately, this will not increase the number of games in a Namco Museum disc.

A blu-ray holds what 25 GB per side... a reg dvd is less then 1/5th of that. Theres a wealth of space to take advantage of. A DVD9 just cant compare to a DL BR disk, and the content of games will go through the roof. I want to see a game on both platforms and see how they stack up, just having extra room to work with gives me higher expectations from the PS3.

this much space for future expansion, will ps3 last even longer to skip ps4 til 2012 o.o;?

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News