Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

PlayOn PS3 Media Server: Stream Netflix, Hulu & YouTube to PS3

Sponsored Links
    Today trevorx7 at PS3iSO has posted news of PlayOn PS3 Media Server, which can stream Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Amazon VOD and more directly to your PlayStation 3 console from a Windows PC giving you access to a wide range of Internet content on your TV... and while it may not be new for everyone it is a first for me so I am sharing it here.

Download: [Register or Login to view links] (14 Day Free Trial)

That is a link to the latest trial version, as the patched older version does not work so simply reinstall it later to use it again or just change the date on your PC if you wish to use it longer, etc.

To quote: "To enjoy PlayOn, you just need a PC, a home network, and a Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Moxi HD DVR, NETGEAR Digital Entertainer Live, Roku (just added!) or another supported device. That's it. No extra cables or hardware to buy

PlayOn also enables you to stream your personal videos, photos and music from your PC to your home entertainment center. It takes less than 3 minutes to set up – download it and see for yourself.

Because of the increased popularity of online gaming, the PS3 has built-in WiFi that allows you to directly log on to Hulu with the game system’s Web browser. (The PS3 is already a great device for watching movies because it has a player for DVD and Blu-ray discs.)

You can then watch shows as you would on your computer, but there is a major problem: to get video to fit on a large screen requires you to zoom in, resulting in oversized pixels on the screen. To watch Netflix and Amazon VOD content, which both use plug-ins the PS3 can’t handle, you need to turn one of your home computers into a media server.

Don’t panic. One of the easiest ways to do this is with a program called PlayOn from Media Mall. The $40 app Hacked And Cracked For Free JUST FOR YOU !! turns your Windows XP or Vista computer into a streaming media server that grants your PS3 access to Netflix Watch Instantly video, Amazon VOD, as well as Hulu, YouTube, CBS, CNN and ESPN videos.

Sidenote: PlayOn works much the same way with the Xbox 360.

Once the PlayOn software is downloaded to your PC, head over to the app’s settings window to plug in your username and passwords for Netflix and Amazon VOD (you can also add your Hulu and YouTube login info to gain access to your queues on either site, but it’s not necessary).

Now move onto the PS3. From your PS3’s video menu, click “Search for Media Servers,” and as long as your PC is on, your PS3 should recognize your computer as a new media server. From the PS3’s PlayOn menu you can access Netflix or Amazon VOD queues and watch instantly, but if you suddenly have the urge for a movie not already in queue you’ll have to head over to your PC to add it, rather than choosing it on the fly from your PS3. This is a lazy man’s complaint, but a complaint nonetheless.

One of the features that always impressed me with Netflix’s video viewer is the ability to move the cursor on the progress bar and see screen grabs illustrating how far you’ve either rewound or fast-forwarded the video being watched. It’s incredibly useful when screening a show like Law & Order, with a title sequence you can listen to only so many times.

I bring this up, because PlayOn’s skimming features are terrible. There’s no easy way to move to specific chapters in a movie, and while there is a scene search feature, similar to the Netflix progress bar mentioned above, it’s not as intuitive and often doesn’t give you the info you need to know how far to move forward. Also, fast-forwarding at speeds higher than 10x creates a buffering nightmare, so that it’s almost impossible to know if you’ve fast forwarded too far or not enough.

While you have to add movies to your Netflix or Amazon queue before you sit yourself down in front of your PS3, watching Hulu through PlayOn doesn’t require any forethought. Instead, you can search through TV episodes, clips, feature films and everything else Hulu has to offer and watch it at a moment’s notice. Same goes with the other sites offered through PlayOn, like CBS and CNN, through their video is a bit hit and miss as many zoom in on low-res video to create pixilated content, much like PS3’s browser does.

I have a few gripes with PlayOn, my biggest being that there is no Apple option. But it’s still a great choice for watching online content on your TV using the components you may already have at home."

PlayOn PS3 Media Server: Stream Netflix, Hulu & YouTube to PS3

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks for sharing this condorstrike, even if it's old news for some I'm sure others will be interested in giving it a try so I moved it to the main page also and Happy New Year! +Rep.

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Its good if you live in the USA, outside the USA its no good as nothing works.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I’ve been using PlayOn for a little over a month now. It works pretty well, worth the $20 a year I’d say just for the Netflix if you have an account, and their built-in MediaServer, My Media plays everything I’ve tried (works even better than PS3MediaServer, for me anyways).

If you have a MegaUpload/MegaPIX account, the script TVLinks works awesome for watching current and old TV shows.
    Even without a Mega account it works, but you sometimes have to hunt for a working feed.

The downside is that a lot of the advertised scripts are out of date, so it’s well advised to try the 14 day free trial and see if what you want works before you pony up any bucks on it.

They advertise now that it’s $39.99 the first year, then $19.99 per year after but I was able to join using the expired link below for $19.99 the first year.

[Register or Login to view links]

The link says it expired in September, but it’s an automated service that gives you your permanent key as soon as you signup so it should work until they figure out they forgot to remove it (or as soon as they see this post..) I've given this link to a few friends and they also used it with no problems.

Happy New Year to all.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by datalogger View Post
    [Register or Login to view links]

The link says it expired in September, but itís an automated service that gives you your permanent key as soon as you signup so it should work until they figure out they forgot to remove it (or as soon as they see this post..) I've given this link to a few friends and they also used it with no problems.
    Ha! Nice one datalogger, +Rep and Happy New Year as well!

Banned User
    I'm still trying out channels and a few actually work but most say "can't be used outside USA"

I'm having a deal breaker on a few channels. It keeps repeating the advertising and not the show.

As it also works on the iPhone/iPad and PS3 its a good deal but I wouldn't pay for it when there is free software that can do the same thing.

This is a nice "all in one" solution and it will stream to ps3, xbox, xbox 360, wii, iphones and a lot of other stuff, been using it for about a year with no issues.

Shame you have to pay for it and i'm not fond of paying for subscriptions anyways, i'm all about the free stuff . The service is useful for US residents so no use to me.

with everything that the ps3 can do (netflix, youtube, vudu, etc), and with everything that the free media streaming programs can do, if you pay for playon you are basically just paying to get hulu streaming to your ps3.

playon has been out for a long while now, but why pay for something when you can get the same thing free from somewhere else? (streaming and transcoding).

playon & ps3 media server have always worked since day one (when the apps were released...)

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News