Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    why do all say that the ps3 is expensive? the ps2 was same priced at the start up and got also hacked. the reason "expensive" is stupid crap.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Shrink said it all, because homebrew is possible on the PS3 through Linux, we have less people trying to hack the ps3.

i'd like to had that this is a very bad article... many other consoles were expensive a few years ago...

bluray definitely isn't a barrier, on the early days of the ps3, the scene was already making backups of the ps3 games...

the only valuable (but still debateable) point was the region free part.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I think the PS3 hasn't been hacked for a multitude of reasons:

1. The security
    2. The price and cost of bricking a retail
    3. The consumer base isnt large enough yet for a modchip project (or not enough to make big bucks) and the scene isnt as big as others.
    Some people arent willing to solder a chip to there expensive PS3, maybe when the price is reduced they will
    4. The size of bluray games (most are relatively small but some arent)
    5. Online play
    6. OtherOS makes the homebrew scene happy and they are more interested in finding a way for 3d access instead.
    7. The other points which are made by Starlight (region free etc)

And i'm sure Sony wont be making the mistake of leaving massive security flaws in updates (but one will be found eventually), Sony's own security team would be finding and addressing the flaws, like mentioned in this post, the chance of finding one gets slimmer with every update, unless a new feature implemented into a new firmware update allows a hole, and Sony simly forget to patch it, but they will slip up eventually.

Reading that gave me a laugh, like others said - apparently the system has yet to be hacked due to its cost, seriously, come on.

The article semi-infers that there is already a mod for the box, I'm assuming they are referencing the Infectus, which really isn't a mod at all, just a nice USB flash reader.

But as we all know, Sony, did a great job with the security. Sure, eventually we will pop it, its only a matter of time.

I agree that the Blu-ray format isn't the barrier.
    Remember those days where SEGA came up with it's GD-ROM disc? The discs that could hold up to 1.2 GB and had a different lay-out then normal cd's or dvd's? Your CD/DVD writer couldn't read those discs (or well just a part of it).

It was meant to prevent privacy. Within a month it got hacked and you were able to run games from a normal disc.

I don't think it's a hardware related thing that the PS3 isn't hacked yet. I believe it's the OS that's preventing hackers to get the system hacked. Perhaps the only way is to come up with a bootloader that boots up a custom OS without entering the PS3 OS, but replicates it's functionality?
    Last edited by GZA1984; 05-20-2009 at 09:36 AM

My first post

Shrink has hit the spot. Speaking as an developer/security analyst I think most consoles are hacked because people want the freedom to do what they want, with an system they have paid for and own.

Sony seems have placed close attention to the PSP piracy problem, where it got hacked by homebrewers, which unfortunately opened the door for piracy.

As long as Sony keep the homebrewers happy, life for them will be a bit easier.

Also, if you shop around you can pick up new games quite cheap 20 to 30. Part EX an old game and you could pick up a new title for as little as 10! If retailers insisted on the 50~60 RRP's then there would be an bigger push for piracy.

Downloading times? Patience?? Oh - comon! People are downloading 10 of GBs of HD videos for ages now. And - what's easier than borrow the game from friend or rent it for a day or two? Another "reason" bust the dust ...

lol it will happen soon just wait and see, hackers are everywhere these days.

To be honest, yes the price would keep a human from wanting to mod the PS3 to pirate video games. At almost $400-$500 it's nothing (The Wii was $250 and the 360 was $300 something in the beginning..easy to get and afford, the PS2 was $350+ ((I got one on the first day!))) and yes because humans are cheap they will not ruin these things. That is if they paid for it themselves. If it is a gift we tend to be more willing to do things to it. But as it is your own money, messing with it and maybe breaking it is top of your worries.

Blu-Ray, not because of the size really is only keeping people down because a Blu-Ray disc burner/read/whatever else you can call them are expensive and hard to come by right now. This means that most of us who aren't me or some dev will not possess one making piracy a not so profitable (for those who sell pirated games) or those who don't make a profit off the game won't pirate because..there's still not a large market.

I also agree with most of the other things said here on why they are not pirating on the PS3...well a lot...I especially like the one about Linux, because it's true. The only point to mod a Wii for most (if not all) devs is to get homebrews running and play some emulators. By allowing Linux on the PS3, you open this door up to let them do as they please and this makes modder happy and not trying to break open Sony's OS. However this has the unintended consequence of modders trying to get access to the GPUs and CPUs...so they can have more room to play.

the only reason to mod a PS3*

Because I can't edit..good reason to proof read
    Last edited by Rtrace; 05-20-2009 at 11:58 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by gtxboyracer View Post
    The Amiga - or more specifically Commodore - didnt die because of the PC.. it was way more advanced than any PC at the time.. multi-tasking Workbench (like windows) full 256 Colors, only needed 1MB ram - where the closest PC was Black/White or EGA (16 colors) - and didnt have a descent GUI interface at all.

The reason they went out; is because Commodore went bankrupt. Otherwise they would've flowerish, and would've been a major contender today against PC and MAC..

Sucks, but thats the way life goes.
    Yes but Pcs had already started to be implemented into the business environment which was one reason,maybe not the most significant granted.

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News