Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Petitboot Bootloader (OS Selector) Updated for PS3 Linux

Sponsored Links
    Petitboot is a graphical bootloader for the PlayStation 3. In 2007 the initial Petitboot Bootloader for PS3 was released.

In 2008 the [Register or Login to view links] Benjamin Herrenschmidt and Jeremy Kerr updated it to v0.2 (rename to otheros.bld to install) which is available here:

Download: [Register or Login to view links] / [Register or Login to view links]

Recently Sony's own PS3 Dev Geoffrey Levand has been updating it (linked above) further, with today's build available below:

Download: [Register or Login to view links]

Installing Petitboot
    1. Put your otheros.bld file on to a USB disk, in a file called /PS3/otheros/otheros.bld. Assuming your USB disk is mounted at /media/usbdisk:

[Register or Login to view code]

If you don't have a USB disk, you can use any sort of media that the PS3 can read - CDROM, DVD, compact flash, etc. Just make sure that the file is called /PS3/otheros/otheros.bld.

2. Plug the USB disk into your PS3, and navigate to System -> System Settings -> Install Other OS. The PS3 should find the new file on the USB disk, and install it.

3. To boot with petitboot, just set your default operating system to "Other OS" (System -> System Settings -> Set Default OS), and reboot.

Using Petitboot
    When petitboot starts, it will try to find existing Linux installations, by looking for /etc/kboot.conf, /etc/yaboot.conf or /boot/petitboot.conf files on any storage device connected to the system. Each discovered device will appear on the left-hand pane of the screen, and bootable options appear on the right.

You can navigate the boot options with the arrow keys (if you have a USB keyboard connected), or the D-Pad on the PS3 controller. If you're using a PS3 controller, you will need to have it connected via the cable; wireless controllers aren't supported (yet!).

If you only have a blank screen with no device icons, then petitboot has not found any bootable options. You can flip to a text console (using Alt+F1) to investigate.

The keys available are pictured below.

Petitboot Console
    If you're using the petitboot console (either by hitting Alt+F1, or logging-in over the network), you have a fairly standard Linux system available. Some notes:

Discovered storage devices are mounted under /var/tmp/mnt, named by their device. For example, /dev/ps3da1 is mounted at /var/tmp/mnt/ps3da1.

To boot a kernel, use kexec:

[Register or Login to view code]

Reverting to the Standard PS3 Software
    If you'd like to revert to the standard PS3 behaviour (ie, the PS3 boots directly to gameos), then you can just do a reset of the PS3:

1. Turn the ps3 off
    2. Hold down the power button until you get a second set of beeps

The ps3 boot sequence will now be back at the factory default.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Ideal concept but ...

Sponsored Links
    To start with all the GUI bootloaders for PS3 I've tried are NOT stable.
    Geoff's latest Petitboot ( 19.05.09 aka yesterday), does not even got to the screen (does not set the TV to ANY mode -480p/576p/720...). The prelast was showing up ROTATED at 90 degrees + my HID mouse/keyboard were not working.
    The pdaXrom-ng bootloader is working but It has a mind of it's own ( aka random system lock, 50% working keyboard and 90% working controller in Bluetooth mode).

My suggestion keep your STOCK bootloader (the one that came first with your Linux).

But if you want to experiment, be my guest and enjoy REsetting your video/audio setting in GameOS if the loader fails

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Do any of these bootloaders let you choose between booting Linux and booting the 'Game OS'? I know that after Linux has booted, you can run "boot-game-os", but can any of the bootloaders do that without booting into Linux?

If not, does anyone know the technical reason?

All (the standart console and the GUI) bootloaders have "boot-game-os" / "ps3-boot-game-os". You just have to be quick to write it/select it, before the timeout.

You can change/set your timeout in the conf file - "/etc/kboot.conf" or "/etc/yaboot.conf"

Quote Originally Posted by sorceror View Post
    Do any of these bootloaders let you choose between booting Linux and booting the 'Game OS'? I know that after Linux has booted, you can run "boot-game-os", but can any of the bootloaders do that without booting into Linux?

If not, does anyone know the technical reason?
    The pdaXrom-ng bootloader does just what you want, an option to boot linux or game os from the get go.

I see in the screen shot they have MythTV partitioned out. Any reason for this exactly? Wihout a TV tuner I don't see why it would be remotely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by xaxaxe View Post
    To start with all the GUI bootloaders for PS3 I've tried are NOT stable.
    It works fine if you configure it correctly, I installed Petitboot on several PS3s if you feel like it is getting stuck in some areas, don't go there.

WOW, this bootloader is simply amazing, I tried it and it worked fine, but still a little unstable, but I wouldn't recomend using it until it has most of the bugs worked out. When the major bugs are gone this should cost $15 to download because of ease of use.

Quote Originally Posted by black10693 View Post
    this should cost $15 to download because of ease of use.
    You cannot say such a thing, the only thing I would consider is to choose another, there are plenty of sourcecodes to modify and create a new bootloader instantly ..

But PayPal's got donation buttons, that is fair ..

Quote Originally Posted by dezza View Post
    It works fine if you configure it correctly, I installed Petitboot on several PS3s if you feel like it is getting stuck in some areas, don't go there.
    It's not about the configuration (yaboot.conf kboot.conf pettitboot.conf) it'a bout the "program" itself

Randomly, my internal HDD is not detected, my external USB HDD as well. Not to mention the occasional system lockup during Boot-Game-OS.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News