Wrapping up the year, some PS3 news we missed from earlier this month: Sashz
has updated his Linux based OS Selector front-end dubbed pdaXrom-NG for PS3 to Live CD 20091201.
Unlike the previous release
, it uses lxde as the desktop environment and PS3Boot is now included. To boot from CD, burn ISO image or unzip the archive to boot from a memory card.
Download: http://mail.pdaxrom.org/downloads/PS3/livecd/pdaXrom-ng-dev-ps3-20091201.zip / http://mail.pdaxrom.org/downloads/PS3/livecd/pdaXrom-ng-dev-ps3-20091201.iso
Update 20091201 features gcc 4.4.2 devtools and a Webkit-based browser (less memory usage).
Note: This will only work on PlayStation 3 entertainment systems that include OtherOS support, not the newer PS3 Slim versions unfortunately.
- Midori 0.2.1 (WebKit based webbrowser)
- Ekiga 3.2.6 (SIP audio/video phone)
- Pidgin 2.6.3
- gcc 4.4.2
- kernel 184.108.40.206
- Image viewer
LiveCD also includes ppu-gcc and spu-gcc (gcc 4.4.2).
Boot options: noswap
- disable swap in vram video=ps3fb:mode:N
- set video mode N. Default mode 3
Connect to network:
Default DHCP is used. There is no network utility for manual settings yet.
Connect to wireless network:
Click on interface wlan0 network icon. If wireless networks is detected, choose preferred from the list. For private network you need enter password. Bluetooth bluez installed.
PS3 Bootloader Installation:
- Download bootloader 'pdaXrom-ng-otheros.bld', rename it to 'otheros.bld'. (http://mail.pdaxrom.org/downloads/PS3/bootloader/)
- On your USB stick or CD create the directory /PS3/otheros/ and copy 'otheros.bld' file to it.
- Insert CD or a plug USB stick into PS3 and go to System->System Settings->Install Other OS. PS3 should find and install bootloader.
- Go to System->System Settings->Set Default OS->OtherOS to boot up with pdaXrom-ng bootloader.
More PlayStation 3 News