Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

OtherOS pdaXrom-NG Linux via PS3 Live CD 20091201 Arrives

Sponsored Links
    Wrapping up the year, some PS3 news we missed from earlier this month: Sashz has updated his Linux based OS Selector front-end dubbed pdaXrom-NG for PS3 to Live CD 20091201.

Unlike the previous release, it uses lxde as the desktop environment and PS3Boot is now included. To boot from CD, burn ISO image or unzip the archive to boot from a memory card.

Download: [Register or Login to view links] / [Register or Login to view links]

Update 20091201 features gcc 4.4.2 devtools and a Webkit-based browser (less memory usage).

Note: This will only work on PlayStation 3 entertainment systems that include OtherOS support, not the newer PS3 Slim versions unfortunately.

What's new:
    - Midori 0.2.1 (WebKit based webbrowser)
    - Ekiga 3.2.6 (SIP audio/video phone)
    - Pidgin 2.6.3
    - gcc 4.4.2
    - kernel 2.6.31.6

Applications:
    - Leafpad
    - Terminal
    - Image viewer
    - mtPaint
    - Ekiga
    - Midori
    - Pidgin
    - Transmission
    - XChat
    - AbiWord
    - Gnumeric
    - ePDFViewer
    - Audacious
    - Mplayer
    - Geany

LiveCD also includes ppu-gcc and spu-gcc (gcc 4.4.2).

Boot options:
    noswap - disable swap in vram
    video=ps3fb:mode:N - set video mode N. Default mode 3

Connect to network:
    Default DHCP is used. There is no network utility for manual settings yet.

Connect to wireless network:
    Click on interface wlan0 network icon. If wireless networks is detected, choose preferred from the list. For private network you need enter password. Bluetooth bluez installed.

PS3 Bootloader Installation:
    - Download bootloader 'pdaXrom-ng-otheros.bld', rename it to 'otheros.bld'. ([Register or Login to view links])
    - On your USB stick or CD create the directory /PS3/otheros/ and copy 'otheros.bld' file to it.
    - Insert CD or a plug USB stick into PS3 and go to System->System Settings->Install Other OS. PS3 should find and install bootloader.
    - Go to System->System Settings->Set Default OS->OtherOS to boot up with pdaXrom-ng bootloader.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Nice one, i'll have a play around with this, anyone got clear instructions how i can run snes emulator on this, i assume its possible? oh and how to boot back into the ps3 dashboard.

Thanks & Happy New Year People.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by sika View Post
    oh and how to boot back into the ps3 dashboard.
    Just type boot-game-os from a command prompt to do that... not sure on your other question, perhaps someone else knows though.

Thanks , i'm having problems connecting to my wireless, well it finds it, connects flashes in the corner no problem, but when i try to go on the net it just doesnt work, cant find host, i'm baffled

Sorry to add another post i couldn't find the edit button, the command didn't work but i went back to the boot screen and the game controller icon puts me back in the ps3 OS, Thanks
    Last edited by sika; 01-01-2010 at 09:57 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sika View Post
    Thanks , i'm having problems connecting to my wireless, well it finds it, connects flashes in the corner no problem, but when i try to go on the net it just doesnt work, cant find host, i'm baffled

Sorry to add another post i couldn't find the edit button, the command didn't work but i went back to the boot screen and the game controller icon puts me back in the ps3 OS, Thanks
    Try reformatting (Dont forget to save your saves) and and reinstalling it, also depending on how fast you burn the cd/dvd in your computer try burning it as slow as possible to avoid errors and verify the image.
    Last edited by shummyr; 01-02-2010 at 06:49 AM

Problem with USB otheros

I can not get this to work for any .BID file

"On your USB stick or CD create the directory /PS3/otheros/ and copy 'otheros.bld' file to it."

I've tried everything, dose it only work with certain formating types on the USB or something. The PS3 sees the stick but never sees the otheros, when I burn ISO.s of a full load they work fine but I can't get a boot loader to work. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by indie1138 View Post
    I can not get this to work for any .BID file
    Not sure if you just made a typo, or have been,but you want to use "OTHEROS.BLD", vs ".BID"

Yep, i rename the .bid files use otheros.bid before trying. The media (USB stick or drive) must be formatted as FAT32 or the PS3 will not read it. It will see it but not access it. once I formated the USB stick to fat 32 everything works fine now. Wish that little bit of info was on one of the tuts for loading other os's.

Quote Originally Posted by indie1138 View Post
    Yep, i rename the .bid files use otheros.bid before trying. The media (USB stick or drive) must be formatted as FAT32 or the PS3 will not read it. It will see it but not access it. once I formated the USB stick to fat 32 everything works fine now. Wish that little bit of info was on one of the tuts for loading other os's.
    NoT *.BiD file extension but *.BLD

OMgod

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News