New Sony PS3 Hand Held Game Controller Patent Uncovered

Today Siliconera (linked above) uncovered a patent for what appears to be a new PS3 Hand Held Game Controller from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. of Tokyo, Japan.

Some pictures of it from the http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=D602097.PN.&OS=PN/D602097&RS=PN/D602097 are below, and to quote from the patent's description:

The ornamental design for a hand held game controller, as shown and described.

FIG. 1 is a perspective view of a hand held game controller;

FIG. 2 is a front view thereof;

FIG. 3 is a rear view thereof;

FIG. 4 is a right side view thereof;

FIG. 5 is a left right side view thereof;

FIG. 6 is a top view thereof; and,

FIG. 7 is a bottom view thereof.

FIG. 8 is a perspective view of the hand held game controller, as used by a user.

The broken lines showing of a hand in FIG. 8 and all other environmental features are for illustrative purpose only and form no part of the claimed design.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Big Grin Controller

Soon we'll be in the games, crazy to think we were just playin sonic and mario..

I like that design, won't take much to mod it into a lightsaber.

Registered User jamorales800923's Avatar
    Recently ps3 scene is so full of conspirations and filtrations of secret info i wonder if this gadget or a dreamcast emu will come.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by toxsik View Post
    I like that design, won't take much to mod it into a lightsaber.
    yea! that would be sick!

Banned User

Complementary "Nunchuck"?!

Actually this seems to be more like a complementary "nunchuck" for the PS3 Wand, because as it stand right now it's missing a directional joystick as I stated in this thread: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playst...tml#post272624.

I actually inserted the aforementioned joystick in the actual wand design but it seems Sony does not like that ideea! Probably the button clutter is too much for some people... (It's pretty straightforward that they aim for the casual market with these controllers so it actually makes sense!).

I uploaded the picture again... just for laughs (it's based on the boomerang prototype controller)!
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Last edited by mihaiolimpiu; 10-21-2009 at 05:51 AM

Banned User
    i agree, i think its a add device for the new wand (whats the name of it? globe?)