Registered User wicked insanity's Avatar

New PlayStation 3 Controller Adds Touchpad Interaction

Sony is introducing a new accessory for the PS3 controller, first announced a few months ago at Leipzig.

Soon, gamers will be able to snap on a wireless keypad that supports typing on the Playstation 3, including texting in the new Home environment and games like LittleBigPlanet.

In addition to the QWERTY keyboard, there are a couple of shortcut buttons - a Message Box button and a Communication button. But what's most interesting from a interaction standpoint is the new Touch Pad feature.

The Touch Pad button allows PS3 users to use the entire surface of the keypad as a touch pad, allowing them to easily maneuver the pointer while web browsing, simply by sliding their finger on the keypad surface.

That's pretty clever. Rather than cramming in a trackball or trackpad (making it heavier and larger), Sony extended the keyboard's use to include scrolling and mouse input. More PlayStation 3 News...

Yeah... I have been waiting to get my hands on one of these ever since it was announced.

Bring that bad boy on!

Clever new hardware like this makes me proud to be a sony supporter, its nice having a keyboard and mouse on your console, but for those times when you just dont feel like getting them out makes this little gadget perfect.

Just added this to my xmas list. I've got kids, I don't have my PSN password saved, so I have a USB keyboard hooked up to my PS3. Having one of these would make web browsing so much more usable, and free up a USB port.

How much does it cost?

excellent news, I can certainly do with this...

Quote Originally Posted by rtlchonzk View Post
    How much does it cost?
    Ive found this: SCEE’s confirmed that the PS3 controller keypad will launch in the UK on November 28, priced £25.

And also the german price 45€ and US 50USD. Ive found ... THATS EXPENSIVE!!! for a Keypad-Clip ...

br
    NIGHTWISH

these things are gonna be sweet, and just in time for christmas...