Sponsored Links
December 11, 2006 - With the PlayStation 3 finally released, the lucky few who have managed to obtain the console are looking to the horizon for another round of next-generation software. One of the PS3's most anticipated titles is the racing game MotorStorm, in development at Evolution Studios. But while the studio is getting revved up for the PS3, Martin Kenwright, CEO of Evolution, is already preparing for the PlayStation 4.

"I know people are looking at PS3 now," Kenwright recently told [Register or Login to view links], "and I'm not being glib, but we're actually looking at PS4. I'm thinking: where will it be in five years? How will we get there? What will the marketplace be like, the games, and who'll be buying them?"

Kenwright believes the next next-generation of videogames will be drastically different than what we know now. "The market place will be changing beyond all recognition in the next five years. We've anticipated that."

Back in spring 2005, Sony filed a patent for a Matrix-like device that immerses people in a virtual world by transmitting ultrasound pulses to the head and modifying firing patterns in specific parts of the brain.

Kenwright also had some harsh words to say about the practice of milking franchises and releasing endless strings of sequels. "What we've learnt in the past is you can inclemently improve something by one per cent, and it takes two years and millions of pounds and all you get is more of the same. You polarise your market. You're offering more of the same instead of something new, memorable, and exciting.

"People like to tick boxes and play it safe, but sequels are the bane of our industry. 'The last one was good so the board wants ten more the same.' That's actually harming the marketplace irreparably."

Along with MotorStorm, Evolution Studios is responsible for WRC: World Rally Championship, WRC II Extreme, WRC 3, WRC 4, WRC: Rally Evolved, and WRC Arcade.

Thanks to [Register or Login to view links] for sharing the news with us!