Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24



  1. #21
    Toucan Sam CJPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,174
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by luix View Post
    can i install this .pkg on my test unit?
    Possibly, downgrade to 1.5 or so, and install it.

  2. #22
    Contributor laggmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    159
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    I've got a Computer Games Technology and Programming degree. I work for a Software Company because I had to work there for my placement year, and they thought I was that good at programming that they would keep me.

    I ALSO have made my own indie games for Xbox360 for the creators club. I don't need to justify anything to you, but just thought you would like to know abit more about me before posting that question again.
    had to stroke your ego a bit for that one i see. and i will not be justifying myself listing my qualifications to some punk online who think that he understands how a whole industry works. and for the record your on the internet where nobody cares what your qualifications are its all a test of skill here...
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    I don't think you could be anymore patronising if you tried.
    I *do* understand why DLC costs money.
    I *do* understand that it is about recouperating money plus profit of the additional digital content that is created.
    BUT I also know that in a dev team, creating 3 NEW maps from scratch can take as little as a week and as long as a month.
    The testing of the maps will take about the same time as creating them.

    The 2 original maps DONT have to be created from scratch, its called "code reuse" and dev's do it alot, especially when all the models have been made (its literally a case of "whats the point in doing something again which has already been done"), so the originals will have been upscaled in terms of textures *maybe* a couple of models tweaked, and some testing to make sure there ok on the MW2 servers.

    SO again, NO i don't think it is justifiable to ask for 5 per map (because 2 of the new maps have needed little work it is hard to include them in the price point).
    ok so if 5dollars whatever currency you use for each map how is that unreasonable when they have had to develop it for 3 different systems, first the simplest the pc, code on standard pc processor architecture (1-4 cores no sub processors) the second is the 360, a simple powerpc architecture very similar to PC, then they have to make sure the code runs on ps3 power pc architecture..

    i still dont understand how you can believe that since code is unique to each as i can not run the pc dvd in a 360 or a ps3 because the programing is different... so lets count thats 3 maps over 3 systems that have verry different system specs and code styles... so when you think about it 5 bucks a map isnt that bad considering they developed it for 3 consoles.
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    I'm actually offended by the patronising tone of your post. STFU.
    For the record i'm not here to make friends i'm just here to see what is leaked and gather small amounts of information for my own ps3 research. if your going to quote my post at least keep everything i said don't edit out my words to fit your fancy.

  3. #23
    Senior Member saviour07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    372
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by laggmaster View Post
    had to stroke your ego a bit for that one i see. and i will not be justifying myself listing my qualifications to some punk online who think that he understands how a whole industry works. and for the record your on the internet where nobody cares what your qualifications are its all a test of skill here...
    yes i did have to stroke my ego. you asked me a question: "ummm how much do you know about creating videogames..."
    my answer: "a lot"
    Quote Originally Posted by laggmaster View Post
    ok so if 5dollars whatever currency you use for each map how is that unreasonable when they have had to develop it for 3 different systems, first the simplest the pc, code on standard pc processor architecture (1-4 cores no sub processors) the second is the 360, a simple powerpc architecture very similar to PC, then they have to make sure the code runs on ps3 power pc architecture.. i still dont understand how you can believe that since code is unique to each as i can not run the pc dvd in a 360 or a ps3 because the programing is different...
    PC and Xbox360 architechture is practically the same, as you've stated. Porting from PC to Xbox360 (which IW would have had in mind to begin with) wouldn't have taken long, if any effort at all.

    "If you don't plan to make your code portable, then it isn't portable."
    IW however *DID* plan to make their code port from PC to Xbox360 and so the code will be almost identical, with some security and optimisation tweaks.

    The reason being that you can't run a pc dvd in a Xbox360 or a PS3 is because of the security written on both the disc and the hardware stating it's not compatible with that drive, not because the code is different (however, in part I am inclined to point out that even without the security written into the game you still wouldn't be able to play the pc dvd on the Xbox360 or the PS3 because the code contained isn't what the console is expecting i.e. Xbox360 expecting C#/XNA etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by laggmaster View Post
    so lets count thats 3 maps over 3 systems that have verry different system specs and code styles... so when you think about it 5 bucks a map isnt that bad considering they developed it for 3 consoles.
    lets count, that's 3 maps made... once.
    thats a little bit of code to add the maps into the servers... once.
    thats a little bit of code for the PS3 and PC/Xbox360 to accept the maps... once.

    So when you think about it, about 5 a map is expensive because they aren't creating an entire new game/game engine or new missions for three different consoles.

    They are making 3 new maps in a 3D software suit which all 3 platforms use.
    They are updating the servers to accept the new maps, which will be platform-agnostic.
    They are adding an update to the game to accept the maps, which will be platform-specific yet minimal workload.

    The game cost 45 when it was released in the UK (there where reports of its RRP 55 but the majority of retailers were selling between 40-50) so the new maps are a 3rd of the cost of the original game? Are the new maps a 3rd of the original game?
    Quote Originally Posted by laggmaster View Post
    For the record im not here to make friends im just here to see what is leaked down to the pleabs and gather small ammounts of information for my own ps3 research. if your going to quote my post atleast keep everything i said dont edit out my words to fit your fancy.
    I quoted all your post this time

    I'm bored now. FYI the map pack was released at 10.99 here.
    So not bothered about the $15 price now.

  4. #24
    Contributor Blabo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2
    so my game bles match with the uploaded one, but the problem how to get it to the ps3 :S

 
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News