Sponsored Links
[IMGW]http://media.1up.com/media?id=3182511[/IMGW]We've speculated endlessly on the reasons why Pandemic Studios has remained silent on the existence of an Xbox 360 version of [Register or Login to view links], as they've only mentioned work on PlayStation 3, even during the recent announcement of a co-publishing agreement with Electronic Arts. Finally, though, the silence has been dropped: Mercenaries 2 is coming to Xbox 360 - and PlayStation 2 and PC, too!

Pandemic's senior producer Jonathan Zamkoff revealed the news during an interview with [Register or Login to view links], where he discussed the efforts Pandemic's taking to balance development on PS3 and Xbox 360 simultaneously:
"They are just very different development environments. I'm not an engineer, so I can only talk about this from knowing what my engineers have been through, but the asymmetrical architecture on the Cell on PS3 is really quite a challenge. I think it will unlock a lot of power for us, but for first generation games, it's been a complex process. Still, we're really happy with the progress of both consoles. They're both fully up and running right now. Most of our lighting and graphical features are in right now. There is a ton of memory on these boxes, which obviously gives us the ability to have much higher resolution and assets. The processors are incredibly powerful, which allows for great physics and world simulations."
The PC version should end up mostly identical to the console versions, though obviously the PS2 one's a bit scaled back. They're hoping to match the feature sets of the other versions on PS2, but another studio's utilizing a tweaked Mercenaries 1 engine to bring the game to life. Sadly, it will not have the online co-op present in the other versions.

Thanks to [Register or Login to view links] for sharing the news with us!