Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Which Linux Version is the best?

Sponsored Links
    I just got my new Ps3 and was wondering which is the best version of Linux to put on it. I know there are several out there. I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Thanks,

Dizack

Sponsored Links

From a newbie's perspective....

Sponsored Links
    I am fairly new to Linux so I tried the first thing available which was Fedora Core. Installation went smooth except the screen resolution was really low. I just got a small box screen on my 32" HDTV and I couldn't find a way to configure it to show full screen. The GUI settings wouldn't allow me to do it. I tried searching for a way to change some config file(s), but no luck. Maybe more experienced users would know how to do this....

So I moved on to Yellow Dog. It was tailored specifically for the PS3 and it shows because I didn't have the above problem. I also liked the interface more as well.

I heard Gentoo was the best.....if you're an experienced user. But for me, I'll stick to YDL til I learn more about the OS.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by dizack869 View Post
    I just got my new Ps3 and was wondering which is the best version of Linux to put on it. I know there are several out there. I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Thanks,

Dizack
    Yellowdog is the best at the moment. It is free and support my 40' lcd.

i think the gentoo is the one you need.

i think the gentoo is the best.

I havent read anything about someone trying Fedora Core6. I think I will try that next. I wasnt happy with Yellow Dog.

Numero, what were your probs with YDL?

I feel YDL is the best initial setup, as Terrasoft has the most tailored distro for the PS3, they have access to some of Sony's technical resources to continue to upgrade the OS. For instance, they have a wireless driver in beta test right now, due in part to Sony releasing technical info on that. Once that is released, I am sure other distros will compile their own versions.

anyone tried ubuntu?

anyone tried ubuntu? it's more windows like friendly

is ydl user friendly? I keep hearing that all linux OS systems are only for hardcore programmers, I am not a programmer buy Im fairly windows savvy, is ydl similar to windows in anyway?

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News