It appears that InFamous has set the standard for new IPs that are exclusive to the PS3 in the US.
Below are some stats, courtesy of http://vgchartz.com/ and http://npd.com, as follows:
- InFamous (May, 2009) - 176K first week
- Resistance (Nov., 2006) - 42K first week
- Motorstorm (March, 2007) - 107K first week
- Warhawk (August, 2007) - 70K first week
- Lair (August, 2007) - 69K first week
- Heavenly Sword (Sept., 2007) - 75K first week
- Uncharted (Nov., 2007) - 32K first week
- Haze (May, 2008) - 91K first week
- LittleBigPlanet (October, 2008) - 110K first week
To quote: Of course, established IPs have sold quite a bit more in their first week. Metal Gear Solid 4 sold upwards of 400,000 units, while established first party IPs such as Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 both sold close to 300,000 units in their debut. More PlayStation 3 News...