Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

IGN Reader PS3 Q&A: The Test Unit

Sponsored Links
    November 3, 2006 - Everybody has questions. Most of them have very little importance, such as those dealing with religion, life or the universe at large. The only ones that really matter have to do with the PS3. Now there's an enigma. There are so many questions dealing with PS2 successor that it'd be possible to fill a zillion books. Some of those questions actually found their way unto our PS3 boards. And since we actually scored a precious PS3 debug kit, we went ahead and answered whatever questions we could. Head down below and uncover the mystery.

Ryltar X: Heat. How hot does it run, how hot are the discs upon ejection..should anyone be concerned?

IGN: It definitely heats up. The system is definitely quiet, but you can feel the system spew hot air from the vents located on its side. The back of the system gets particularly hot, with the remaining sides just getting mildly warm. Unfortunately, we can't give you an exact reading just yet - that's forthcoming.

Brevcom: Bluetooth headsets ...which brands work and how well do they function.

IGN: We tried to use a Motorola Bluetooth headset and it didn't work. Keep in mind we only have a debug unit, though. Also, we only tried to connect it using version 1.0 - check back soon for further testing.

[Register or Login to view links]

ArmDnrdy: Is there some kind of "sleep" mode like the PSP, where if you live a game or something running for a period of time the screen will go black.

IGN: The PS3 retail unit does have a PSP-like sleep mode, but this feature doesn't work on the debug unit. We'll let you know what happens when we score retail units next week.

Menace2Society: I want to know whether the PS3 will upscale to all supported resolutions despite what the base resolution the various games support. like if my tv doesn't support 720p will the ps3 upscale 720p native games to 1080i?

IGN: The PS3 test unit has a "Custom Resolution" setting that allows you to tell the system what your TV's maximum resolution is. Our test unit doesn't support older games yet, so it's impossible to tell if it upscales lower resolutions to higher ones.

Rogueldr: Is it neccessary to have the PS3 memory card adapter in order to save PS2 games to the hard drive or can PS2 game saves be transferred directly to the hard drive?
    What I mean is, can they be transferred directly to the hard drive if you are playing the PS2 game on the PS3 or do you need to have a PS2 memory card connected that can take the save file and move it to the PS3's HD.

IGN: Yeah, it is necessary. We couldn't find a way to do it without the adapter. Hopefully, we'll get it next week along with the retail units.

Ninjatech: Are the face buttons of the controller analog, or just L2 and R2?

IGN: Yes, face buttons are analog. Not sure about the D-PAD this time, but we already confirmed the buttons are analog. And are a little more analog-feely than PS2, you know when you're not pressing hard enough this time because they feel like they have just a tiny bit more give, a little more squishy feeling (although you hardly notice the difference when playing games that aren't analog-heavy.)

[Register or Login to view links]

Mikejayc: Try out some Online PS2 games using the PS3 - like Killzone, Socom 3, Ratchet and Clank, Jak Combat Racing, Burnout, Madden, etc - against others online that are using PS2s. In fact don't even tell them that you're using a PS3. Let us know how it is online performance-wise and if the bluetooth headsets still work with the current-gen games.

IGN: A good thing to test, yep, although I'll tell you now that it'll be the same as on PS2, it'll just use whatever your network config is and then go online with it. On PS2, you configured your network config to the Memory Card, so on PS3, I'd imagine that the same config will be transferred to the HDD (and maybe they'll also have a virtual config for the new WiFi, where applicable, although all that really needs is to be recognized as a network adapter, doesn't matter that it's built into the kit.)

The.Bateman: Will external 2.5" SATA hard drives be supported? If so, is it possible to have multiple HDDs hooked up? How will this work?

IGN: Actually, I want to check if any external HDD works, not just 2.5 -- should work fine, the PS3's set up to run stuff off externals but the folder structure might be tough for it to find stuff. Ideally, I'll be able to just toss my cord from my PC to my PS3 on my USB array of HDDs with stored video, that would be quite nice!

Thanks to [Register or Login to view links] for sharing the news with us!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    So the PS3 with wifi allow you to get to the net without wires or is that specifically for connecting to the PSP? Can you make the 20gb version wireless by adding that wireless bridge dongle?

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News