Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

IDEA: Playstation-Twii with Wii-mote support

Sponsored Links
    If you can help check my profile and contact me or post in this forum if you can.

I have been thinking about this a lot today and I was wonder if anyone can give me the general direction I need to take in order to make a PS-Twii (A Wii emulator via the PS3 (not the linux part) ) I'd like to know the process and the information I should look to gather in order to complete this. (I know at the very least I would need some PS3-bootloader, that would support homebrew--which is expected in March I believe?)

I think its possible...at the very least for the Wii-mote...PS3 does after all dwarf the Wii in all aspects. (After all the FPS's on it look like Wolfenstein 3D if you ask me)(Almost N64 at times)

I am betting Super-Monkey Ball will be the first of the commercial emulations due to its simplicity.

PLEASE I NEED EVERYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ON ANYTHING TO HELP ME.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If you knew absolutely anything about emulation, you'd realize what you're saying is pretty ludicrous. We can barely emulate the Gamecube on top-of-the-line PCs, how are we supposed to automatically help you to emulate the Wii on a Power PC processor (that a lot of PC programmers don't know how to work with as well) and, along with that, get it to run through the PS3's XMB (which has been stated to be damn near impossible) instead of through Linux?

Sorry if this sounds like a very negative post, but it seems that we have to hear people post things way too often like "can we emulate blah blah on the PS3?" Your request is even more ignorant due to the fact that you don't realize that the only way that there is a PS3 ISO loader, is because it runs via Linux on the PS3.

Now that I've possibly killed your hopes of doing this, here's what you need to know to do what you want to do.

1) You need to learn how to code for the PPCx64 (PowerPC 64-bit format) in order to get the most out of the PS3s power. PPC will work too, but it won't be as efficient.
    2) Read all the documentation Sony has written about coding for the CELL processor architecture.
    3) Go to Wii development forums (no idea of any) and find all of the information you can on the Wii processor, it's GPU, etc.
    3a) Find out how the Wii interacts with discs in order to emulate disc image reading since most people won't be able to read from their disc drive.
    4) Write a program to emulate the Wii hardware on a PPCx64 or PPC architecture.
    5) Compile it and test it on the PS3.
    6) Edit program to fix bugs.
    7) Repeat 5 and 6 for around 10 years.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks, although negative, it's a step towards my failure, failure I hope, that will in turn bring a "Revolution" to the PS3.

It's crazy I understand, but I have a hunch about the abilities of the PS3, when coded right (perfection can't happened but still)

good luck ;-)

good on you hacked2123, if you dont get ps3/wii emulator sussed itll be a mine of info while learning, whos to say u wont anyhow.

some ppl learn in a more progressive manner. altho chouonsoku is right in saying the ps3 XMB is known to be problematic, but heyy, was psp, xbox, xbox360, gamecube, ps1, ps2 cracked in a day?

nahhh, its through ppl hacking away at different aspects of it, after all it is a sport of trial and error.
    good luck m8, if you cant crack ps3 look at the wii side of things... maybe ill see your nick as my son boots his first backup

Generally speaking what is it that needs to be done, coding wise, to find and emulate what is being processed on the Wii? I know I would need to know the complete in's and out's of the PS3's PPC64 Core and SPU/SPE's and everything about coding on them. I am willing and able to do that and more.

(BTW just remembered why isn't there a Sega Saturn emulator, wasn't it a multi-core system?)

There are Sega Saturn emulators. And the Saturn wasn't multi-core, it just had three processors. Two Hitachi SH2s and one SH1.

Here are some Wiki Spec's I pulled of the net:

Processors:
    CPU: PowerPC based "Broadway" processor, made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, reportedly* clocked at 729 MHz[40]
    GPU: ATI "Hollywood" GPU made with a 90 nm CMOS process,[41] reportedly* clocked at 243 MHz[40]
    The Hollywood is an LSI chip comprised of two dies within the cover. The one of the two chips, Napa, controls the I/O functions, RAM access, the actual GPU with it's 3 MB of texture memory, while Vegas holds the Audio DSP and the 24 MB of "internal" 1T-SRAM[42]
    Memory:
    88 MB main memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM)[42]
    3 MB GPU texture memory
    This really doesn't look imposible to me. Yes it is 729Mhz and not 64bit, but it is still PPC. The video card is ATI but atleast its only 128Mb (Unfortunate to the emulation because PS3's is Nvidia).

PPC to PPC64 must be much easier than x86 to PPC64
    Considering these stats, can't we come to believe Wii would be easier to emulate than that of even the XBOX1?
    Last edited by hacked2123; 01-22-2007 at 06:14 PM

Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123 View Post
    Here are some Wiki Spec's I pulled of the net:

This really doesn't look imposible to me. Yes it is 729Mhz and not 64bit, but it is still PPC. The video card is ATI but atleast its only 128Mb (Unfortunate to the emulation because PS3's is Nvidia).

PPC to PPC64 must be much easier than x86 to PPC64
    Considering these stats, can't we come to believe Wii would be easier to emulate than that of even the XBOX1?
    The first Xbox is slower than the Wii and also has a PPC based processor. The Xbox would be much easier to emulate. Besides, the Xbox already has emulators being worked on for the PC so a lot of the work has been done, as apposed to everyone having a fresh start on emulating the Wii.

Also, the fact that the PS3 has an nVidia GPU and the Wii has an ATi GPU doesn't matter since we'd have to emulate via Linux as running unsigned code via the XMB is impossible right now. Not saying it couldn't happen, but as of now, not something to code the emulator to run under.

Quote Originally Posted by Chouonsoku View Post
    The first Xbox is slower than the Wii and also has a PPC based processor. The Xbox would be much easier to emulate. Besides, the Xbox already has emulators being worked on for the PC so a lot of the work has been done, as apposed to everyone having a fresh start on emulating the Wii.

Also, the fact that the PS3 has an nVidia GPU and the Wii has an ATi GPU doesn't matter since we'd have to emulate via Linux as running unsigned code via the XMB is impossible right now. Not saying it couldn't happen, but as of now, not something to code the emulator to run under.
    The first Xbox is Intel based (Pentium III I believe) and clocked @ 733 Mhz (slower by design, faster by numbers) Also, from what I understand from my studies thus far is that the Wii is An over-clocked Gamecube, Originally an addition to that of the Gamecube, and the coding of the Wii games, in my opinion and the oppinion of others I know, is nothing more than augmented Gamecube commands, much of which are untouched.

Seeing as how the current Gamecube Emulators are designed primarily on Mac and PPC, much of that work is cut out. Also in the past 2-3 weeks tremendous progress has been made in that department. It's going to be hard to get started, but I will know when and how, but everything is still foggy.

Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123 View Post
    The first Xbox is Intel based (Pentium III I believe) and clocked @ 733 Mhz (slower by design, faster by numbers) Also, from what I understand from my studies thus far is that the Wii is An over-clocked Gamecube, Originally an addition to that of the Gamecube, and the coding of the Wii games, in my opinion and the oppinion of others I know, is nothing more than augmented Gamecube commands, much of which are untouched.

Seeing as how the current Gamecube Emulators are designed primarily on Mac and PPC, much of that work is cut out. Also in the past 2-3 weeks tremendous progress has been made in that department. It's going to be hard to get started, but I will know when and how, but everything is still foggy.
    Wow. I was always under the impression the Xbox was a PPC based system. My mistake. :P And I wasn't aware that the Wii and Gamecube processors were actually that similar. Maybe you're idea for a Wii emulator on the PS3 isn't as impossible as I thought. ^_^

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News