I need help - completely NEW to Linux

Hello all -

I was taking a gander at the "Comprehensive Guide: Blu-ray back-up and Decryption via PS3" and would really love to test out the waters. I have YDL installed but have never used a linux os before. I have a 500gb external hard drive hooked up via USB to my PS3, and don't understand how to back-up games/movies to it. I'll admit, I've been reading threads for hours, but to let you understand how clueless I am, my first problem is this line:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/mnt/sdc/imagename.img

So here are my first questions:

- YDL sees my externalHD, but, can you NOT use just any old external hard drive when trying to back-up blu-rays and ps3 games?
    - If you can, is there anything that needs to be done to the HD before trying to dump files on it?
    - Either way, this line:

What does this actually mean (i.e. mnt, sdc)? And what would I need to do to get the file to save on my extHD?

And finally, would you recommend purchasing reading material for learning these processes, or going through threads to aquire the info.

Thanks, all.

Yea im having the same problem

- YDL sees my externalHD, but, can you NOT use just any old external hard drive when trying to back-up blu-rays and ps3 games?
    You Can, it just needs to be properly formatted

- If you can, is there anything that needs to be done to the HD before trying to dump files on it?
    Just a format (depending on the filesystem)

- Either way, this line:

What does this actually mean (i.e. mnt, sdc)? And what would I need to do to get the file to save on my extHD?

dd is a program, the if parameter is where it reads from, of where it writes to, so it reads from /dev/cdrom (the bluray drive), and writes to the device mounted to /mnt/sdc (which could be your external HDD)

To mount, you could pull a 'mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc' (if the drive is on sdc1)

Not to peddle my own program, but I suggest looking into PS3 SAK, its a bit more user friendly (less stuff to remember!)

Thanks a lot, CJPC! After reading through a few tutorials on various other situations in linux, I was able to mount my exthd. Now, I'll probably just start over - and try out SAK - after I format my exthd to (from what I think I should) ext3. This stuff is great - nothing like staying up til 4 in the morning reading threads and googlin.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Not to peddle my own program, but I suggest looking into PS3 SAK, its a bit more user friendly (less stuff to remember!)
    This is purely a windows app, right? My windows pc's are all dead, but the ps3 is working great in YDL. Tomorrow I think I might try to load gutsy, we'll see tho.

Thanks for making your app, more people need to contribute to this growing little community..Good luck, live long & prosper n all that type thing..

WareWolf