i realize i may have made the article a bit biased against sony/ps3, but i just got off working 12 hours after getting 2 hours sleep and honestly being very disappointed. not so much with the product, but the information that was given.
now that i've had some sleep, let me go through and try and restate my opinions on the system and not based on the dumbass rep.
1.I worked myself up for this day because i was hoping i would find something out i havent read on digg or here. that kind of messed it up right there. as i said, the only thing that i was unaware of was the case is translucent, and only solid black in photos because of the light/flash of the camera.
2. Again on the rep. for this being the day for us to learn everything about a console, he was very uninformed about it himself. i could have told him more stuff about it then he probably knew. plus, he was explaining games and stuff, and said "world of witchcraft" (instead of warcraft...) and everyone started laughing for obvious reasons, and he said he couldnt say any more on that game on the ps3. Then the geek squad people were making fun of him by litterally making up words, and he used them to answer the questions (i dont remember specifics right now, i will though because it was hilarious)
he didnt know if the hdd was sata or pata, and we are supposed to sell people larger hdd's. stuff like that made me think he really didnt care.
3. The load times seemed a little ridiculous. although it uses the same technique as the xbox did w/ cache'ing stuff to the hdd, this has to transfer alot more data so it's gonna take that extra time. doom 3 and half life 2 are the biggest ones i can think of that take a while but there are some games that dont use it at all so.... it's normal and expected, but its hard using that as an advantage for someone to buy a ps3, where as with a 360/wii you put it in and your good.
4. the controller is lighter, a little wider, and it does fit the hands better then the dual shock, however the analog location i think is still a problem. the rumble feature is just a plus, i guess it doesn't bother me it's not there- i just find it very unnecessary for sony to lie to us like that and say they took it out for space reasons. i think we all know why it's not included anymore
5. The ps3 did look a little better then the 360. i say a little because it's the same as people saying the gc/xbox look better then the ps2. they do, however graphics arent everything, and with microsoft getting more companies on board to make exclusive/ports, and as we saw this past gen, graphics are not everything.
6. (skipping the mgs 4 and going to the av) I find it very hard to believe sony is not going to ship the system with component cables. they are delivering all this great high def content, including the blue ray drive, but still making you buy the nessecary stuff to hook it up. and yes hdmi is a standard cable, however not all hdtv's have hdmi. luckily mine does- but not everyone. Sony needs to recognize that and ship a component cable, which he said they are not going to do. this is the same thing as MS not shipping the hdmi cable for the 360. the options need to be there.
ill also admit (if i have to), i am a little biased against sony. however, i will not tell someone to buy another console because of it. if they ask which one, the first thing i will ask is what kind of games they play. For me, the ps3 is a waste of money. they just dont have any games that interest me. i'm a huge fps, action, racing, arcade, simulation player and the xbox/360 does me great. if i was into rpg's and stuff like that, a ps3 would be a little more attractive.
i also hate the fact that he (the rep) told us to guaranty the victory of blu-ray. i'm not going to do that. i dont care if they are winning or losing, if there's an alternative i cant say that to someone.
and backwards compatibility- he said every game is backwards compatible. i called him on that because of what i've read of the ps3 using the same emulation method as the 360, and he said no, there are no games that wont work. i dont believe him but who knows.
i blame the sony rep. lol if he wasnt so biased himself against ALL other systems that might have made a difference too. everything he said was against the 360, and most of it was bs too that everyone with any knowledge in video games would know. (did you know you couldnt charge the 360 controller w/ the play and charge kit and use it at the same time? that was one thing he said the ps3 could do that the 360 cant)
hopefully that clears some stuff up.