Hybrid Blu-ray Movie And Game Discs Planned for the PS3

Sony's John Koller has confirmed that hybrid Blu-ray discs that contain both a PS3 game and movie are on the cards.

Koller noted there are a lot of developers who say they have a game based on a particular movie and would love to fit them together.

Apparently, we should see these hybrid discs coming out this year... to quote:

The details of the hybrid PS3 game/movie product are still being finalized, but the idea is that a PS3 videogame disc would also provide access to an entire feature film.

Plus, consumers would be able to transfer the film for view on the PlayStation Portable, similar to the way Sony Pictures Home Entertainment's digital copies can be transferred to the PSP.

"We are actively pushing, and the way that we see the future is that the movie and the game are placed on the same disc," said John Koller, director of hardware marketing for the PS3.

"There are a lot of developers who say, we have this game based on a movie, wouldn't it be great to marry these concepts? We will definitely see this stuff this year."

More PlayStation 3 News...

The collectors edition of Stranglehold came with a copy of Hard Boiled on the game disc. I hope this new plan is implemented better than that was.

Sounds like a great idea for games based off of movies.
    X Men: Wolverine game and movie on the same disc would be cool (and handy)!

It might encourage games devs to implement a type of mini-movie in cgi, for some games, the next soul calibur with a 20 min cgi movie would be great (dreaming).

I thought that this type of thing was supposed to be coming right from the start of Blu-ray discs. Will I just need to buy a game to get the complete associated film or would you just get cut scene type video incorporated into a game? What will this mean to pricing? Despite my misgivings above I think this is a very promising development.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashMan99 View Post
    Will I just need to buy a game to get the complete associated film or would you just get cut scene type video incorporated into a game?
    My understanding is that this would be a separate option, like a bundle. You could buy just the movie, or just the game, or you could buy both the game and the movie on one disk, presumably for a bit less than buying the game and the movie individually.

Given Blu-ray's space, this should be possible. It'd be nice, though a whole lot of games made from movies aren't worth playing...

This is good news the more mainstream blu-ray becomes the cheaper discs will be in the near future, thus cheaper productions costs and cheaper games for us, and hey we might be able to pickup burners and discs for ps3 backups very soon.