Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Registered User WtfAreUthinking's Avatar

Question How does PSN ban a Ps3 from their server?

How can the Ps3 be blocked from the server?

I have quite a few ideas but I wanted to see what ya'll thought!

Usually Based on the mac address, since each electronic device that connects to the internet or a network has its own mac address.

It can also be blocked based off of each systems PSID - pretty much each PS3's unique number.

Question

Has any PS3's actually been banned?

The most logical answer would be through the I.P address.

Quote Originally Posted by benere View Post
    The most logical answer would be through the I.P address.
    I'm not sure how you figure that. An IP ban can easily be bypassed by a proxy, whereas a MAC address ban locks out the console, no matter how it's connecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner54 View Post
    Has any PS3's actually been banned?
    Indeed they have. You can see a screenshot here.

Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by shummyr View Post
    Usually Based on the mac address, since each electronic device that connects to the internet or a network has its own mac address.
    Hmm, I thought this at first too, However there's no possible way that I can think of that they can block a MAC address from a server for the simple reason that a mac address isnt routable meaning your mac address isn't sent to the server.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    It can also be blocked based off of each systems PSID - pretty much each PS3's unique number.
    Now this is what I was really Thinking, that there is a PSID, I also am in the thinking process that this # is somehow routed to the server! If it wasnt how would sony know the difference between PS3s. I Also think it might have something with the CERTS assigned to the PS3, they allow it access to some paths on the Server!

Now As far as the ban, I Have got a friend that received a email saying he was caught cheating online, and thus was banned from online play, Now the thing that caught my eye in the email was that they said his PS3 was permanently blocked from accessing the server! So they are def Blocking something that is routed from the Ps3, So that the Ps3 cant access the Network. I am just looking for input Now, I have one other friend helping me.

Things I have done,

Hooked a Usb wireless receiver to the PS3 so that it would assign the PS3 the MAC address of the usb Wireless receiver instead of using the MAC of the Built in wireless and wired NIC.

I Thought Just for a split second that it might be a Ip Ban, But I soon Found Out that it wasn't!

I have captured the packets leaving the PS3 Via Wireshark, Interupting them seems to be the problem, and it looks like the Log in packets are SSL, However wire shark has something for the SSL, Working on it!

I Also Have captured the Certs Via Cain

and Last but least I have the HTTP, traffic user name and passwords, However they pretty much change every time you log in.

I am pretty much at a stomp here, I just saw in another section of the forum, some thing about the Update bypass, And I read the post there and I realized that there were some smart peps there that Might be able to help me out, But any help or Ideas are appreciated!
    Last edited by WtfAreUthinking; 06-01-2010 at 03:10 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by WtfAreUthinking View Post
    Now this is what I was really Thinking, that there is a PSID, I also am in the thinking process that this # is somehow routed to the server!
    Indeed, there is - take a peek at the attached screenshot that Sony CSR's use to ban a console, suspend, or lift the ban (and note, the console id!)
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

I've only known one person to get console banned.. He got banned last year and still hasn't been unbanned.

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Indeed, there is - take a peek at the attached screenshot that Sony CSR's use to ban a console, suspend, or lift the ban (and note, the console id!)
    Wow, holy crap, where did this pic come from, like I mean who got it?!

I wish I had the PS3 that received that ban, then it would make life easy trying to find that ID, but oh well, at least I know what I am chasing now.

CJPC I really thank you for this pic, now to find out where this # is stored, and how it is routed, or blocked!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast