Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Exclamation HD DVDs Playable On PS3?

Sponsored Links
    Correct me if im wrong but if u install linux And Download Blu Ray and HDDVD isos and mount them on something like DAEMON Tools cant u watch the movies on linux with something like Power DVD therefore watching it on ur PS3.

thanks a bunch

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I don't think the PS3 under linux has enough processing power to play HD content. Linux is very restricted in terms of access to the bare metal hardware.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Not to mention the lack of Daemon-Tools and PowerDVD Linux versions.

Fundamentally, Linux applications to not access different drives but rather they access the contents mounted to the root filesystem. I'm sure applications can be written to access the device directly, but they must have an understanding of the filesystem used (UDF2.5 in this case).

If anything, we'd see something like AnyDVD and VLC for Linux and we'd see it long before Daemon-Tools and PowerDVD!

With a USB driver for the XBOX360 HD-DVD drive I might add.
    Last edited by CZroe; 06-03-2007 at 09:37 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

On the front page there's news about dumps from the RSX being released, hopefully there's info in there to get hardware accelerated graphics working under linux. Then we might get HD DVD and Blu-Ray working.

Unfortunately it's not a matter of processing power or 3d acceleration. The basic issue is that the blu-ray drive in the PS3 simply can't read HD-DVD disks. They tracks are located in the wrong place physically and the drive can't find them. We would have to replace the whole drive with one of the "combo" drives for it to read HD-DVD data.

For what its worth, a simple mount -o loop , would do the trick (also a UDF kernel patch), and if I recall, mplayer in SVN has support for decrypted .evo playback.

Though, it still wont play on the PS3 under linux, it is a step in the right direction!

CJPC is right... you can mount udf iso's if you have the linux kernel udf patched... But who has the time to transfer a 15gb iso from his pc to the ps3 to just play it? And i don't think vlc can play it...

Quote Originally Posted by nikkelitous View Post
    Unfortunately it's not a matter of processing power or 3d acceleration. The basic issue is that the blu-ray drive in the PS3 simply can't read HD-DVD disks. They tracks are located in the wrong place physically and the drive can't find them. We would have to replace the whole drive with one of the "combo" drives for it to read HD-DVD data.
    Umm, you can do exactly the same things with a ripped HD DVD as you can with a ripped BD movie, including throwing the video on a BD-R(E) and going from there.

And yes, I do believe XBOX 360 HD DVD USB drive drivers are possible.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkelitous View Post
    I didn't mean it would play HD DVD disc natively, as other people have posted you can rip 'em and mount 'em. Theres also the possiblity of someone writing driver for the 360 HD DVD USB drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ST0RM53
    But who has the time to transfer a 15gb iso from his pc to the ps3 to just play it?
    You wouldn't have to transfer the files to your PS3 you could mount the files from a external USB drive.
    Last edited by B4tm4n; 06-13-2007 at 05:05 PM

Do our blu-ray diodes do the reading of DVD's and CD's. If so does this means that it can change wavelength, aperature, and how physically deep into the disk to look for the data. The only differences between Blu-ray and HD-DVD reading is that Blu-ray uses a 0.1 mm-thick surface layer versus HD-DVD uses a 0.6 mm-thick surface layer and Blu-ray has a 0.85 numerical aperature versus HD-DVD uses a 0.65 numerical aperature. So might it be possible to get the PS3 to read HD-DVD's if a custom drive firmware was written. This is just me speculating so if this is not possible please feel free to say so.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News