Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Guide: Upgrade Your PS3 HDD with Ease, 320GB for Only $64.99

Sponsored Links
    Although many here have already upgraded their PS3 HDD, those who haven't yet due to being intimidated by the task may wish to check out the following guide:

It's not as intimidating as it looks. If you can handle a screw driver, you can swap out your PS3 hard disk.

PS3 Hard Drive Upgrade Options:
    Western Digital - [Register or Login to view links]
    Western Digital - [Register or Login to view links]

Since we were the guinea pigs, we'll briefly inform you of where we went wrong and how you can upgrade without error.

1. Careful with the screws - I make this the first point even before backing up because of issues we both had. I could be wrong, but the PS3 screws are made of some soft metal such as pewter. We both stripped out at least one screw.

2. Backup Data - Either flash drives or external hard drives can be used for this process. If you NEED all your saved games back, make sure you have a FAT32 external hard drive, and run the backup utility from "System Settings" then "Backup Utility".

Finally, check out the video below if you haven't seen it yet:

More PlayStation 3 News...

Banned User
    Sponsored Links

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
    Thank you PS3 NEWS, but I don't think changing a PS3 HDD needs a tutorial video! it's soooo simple... I opened it up just to see how it would be done in case I gather enough money and it was done in under 60 seconds!

Maybe I'm somewhat experienced with this kind of thing but even the average user should do it in under 2 minutes!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanx for the tut..

WD 500GB only 99$ really good price

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yeh careful with them screws. I ruined 3 of my screws had to use needle nose pliers in the end a simple task screwed up by my dosey self but cant complain 250GB seagate booooomting!

Banned User
    I see a lot of you already changed their HDD... I for one have the measly 60 Gb in there, with 10 GB gone to Ubuntu Jaunty Alpha and still have plenty of space! True, When I want to use media play I use PS3 Media Server to stream MKV's from my PC!

Only thing that gets me horny is PS3 MKV support with subtitles.. Then I'll move all files directly to my PS3.. until then... I have no use for it!
    Probablu native speakers of English don't see it the way I do (they don't need subtitles), so I can see why they want bigger HDD's. Just wanted to point out that for the rest of us there is no need YET!

Quote Originally Posted by mihaiolimpiu View Post
    Thank you PS3 NEWS, but I don't think changing a PS3 HDD needs a tutorial video! it's soooo simple...
    I agree it's simple to those familar with HDD's, etc... but not everyone who visits here is necessarily. Couple with that the fact that those who aren't 'regulars' here may just find our site if they Google search it (now that we have a guide posted) and I wouldn't trade the PS3 HDD Guide for anything.

Downloaded games

Does the system backup copy purchased games?

It could have told you how to restore your saves also.

Hi guys,

I replaced my 60Gig PS3 drive with a 320Gb drive a while back (was max 2.5 inch drive available at the time). I have a word of warning for you all...

I store a large number of video files on my PS3 (Mainly downloaded TV shows), all of which are setup in their own "Albums" - e.g. "Heroes", "Stargate", "The Big Bang Theory" etc.

I recently had a problem with this however (with the drive coming up to around 250gb full) where the PS3 decided to do a repair on the system database. Unfortunately this repair completely wiped all 'album' information from all the files - the end result being that all 250gigs worth of video files all lost their albums and ended up being marked as "Unknown". What a pain in the a..! (Luckily it didn't loose the actual files though!!!!!!)

Anyway, I ended up having to archive everything off to a 1Tb external WD drive and manually moved the files into correctly formatted folders!

So in conclusion:-
    If you store loads of data, be prepared that you might loose the PS3 specific ALBUM info at the most inconvenient time.

Also there is a real need for SONY to improve the file options.
    They need to add a "Set Album for Multiple files" type option (to accompany the "Copy Multiple" and "Delete Multiple" options if they're going to have a usable multimedia device!)

Bit off topic, but the new features I'd really like to see soon:-
    1. "Set 'Album' for Multiple Files"
    2. Show music files by Artist, then Album. (I've got 20+ gigs of music and it all just gets messed up on the PS3 because you can't structure the view like you can with directories!) Or maybe some management tool similar to the Gallery tool.
    e.g.
    Kaiser Chiefs\
    Kaiser Chiefs\Employment\
    Kaiser Chiefs\Employment\Everyday I Love You Less and Less.mp3
    Kaiser Chiefs\Employment\... etc ...
    Kaiser Chiefs\Yours Truly, Angry Mob\
    Kaiser Chiefs\Yours Truly, Angry Mob\Ruby.mp3
    Kaiser Chiefs\Yours Truly, Angry Mob\... etc ...

Anyway got that off my chest now

PSPSwampy

Quote Originally Posted by CAsh4kiDZ View Post
    Does the system backup copy purchased games?
    When I upgraded my 40GB to 80GB (had a drive laying around), my restore didn't succeed. I'm not sure it would have restored the purchased games, but from what I've gathered, no, purchased games aren't backed up.

Fortunately, I was able to re-download the games for free. Takes a while, of course (particularly over wifi) but there were no other problems.

I have the 160gb and I don't know if I want to upgrade it.. I think I will leave it like this because I am comfortable with it.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News