Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Guide: How to Enable Hulu on PS3 With a Workaround

Sponsored Links
    A few days after blocking PlayStation 3 users, Hulu has yet to respond to questions concerning the change which has only helped to fuel rumors it is related to the Microsoft ad campaign currently featured on the site.

However, a guide is now available courtesy of yPass.net (linked above) that details how to workaround the method being used to block PS3 users, namely checking the User-Agent string in the HTTP request.

The workaround? To make your PS3 appear as a PC running a Firefox (or whatever you prefer) browser to any Web site that asks, as follows:

1. Install squid ("sudo apt-get install squid" for ubuntu users.... for Windows users, google for: squid windows)

2. Edit squid's default config (/etc/squid/squid.conf on ubuntu) with these changes (or download my configuration: [Register or Login to view links]):

Search for "acl localnet src" and set it to your internal network. You can remove the other localnet definitions if you're not using them as shown here:

#acl localnet src 10.0.0.0/8
    #acl localnet src 172.16.0.0/12
    acl localnet src 192.168.0.0/16

Search for "http_access allow localhost" and add "http_access allow localnet" as such:

http_access allow localnet
    http_access allow localhost

Add the following two lines pretty much anywhere in the file (the end of the file works just fine):

header_access User-Agent deny all
    header_replace User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

3. Start squid (sudo /etc/init.d/squid start)

4. Go to PS3 Internet settings. Do manual configure. Go through the settings as normal (the defaults should be fine) until you get to proxy server. Set it to be your PC's IP address port 3128.

Your PS3 is now a Windows machine running Firefox (as far as Hulu is concerned) and you can use Hulu again. What a dumb method of restricting access. You can get a bit fancier with the acl's to make it so ONLY Hulu URLs get the User-Agent replaced. It's not that hard, but until I have a problem, I don't see any point in bothering.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links
    The only site i can think of that might have an issue with replacing the browser tags, is the YouTube PS3 site - i'm sure its checking for those tags in the HTTP requests etc.. although without trying this i can't confirm.

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    OR just use bittorrent.. Which is more convenient?

Squid is so nice ..

- Everyone should have one ..

Can someone please upload the squid.conf file for windows version of squid? I keep getting an error:

squid netmask masks away part of the specified ip

Question

Did you mean this? It's what I'm seeing anyway in squid-hulu.conf

[Register or Login to view code]

thanks, i thought i was going to have to be using PlayOn for the remainder of hulu now and in my opinion, they are much better media servers out there than playon, play on only does a few things right.

thanks, I'm going to give this a shot later. nothing can get better than watching your favorite shows and movies in hulu.

Quote Originally Posted by travis134 View Post
    OR just use bittorrent.. Which is more convenient?
    I have to agree. I love getting some new shows then just streaming them onto my PS3.

Question Help!

I can't get an internet connection, and I don't know how to start Squid, how do you even know if its on?

I have a Linksys WRT54GL as my wireless router. it is connected via ethernet cable to my computer (Vista 64)

the PS3 is connected to the Linksys via wireless..

Please help me set this up to work with Squid and Hulu.

I tried that squid conf but it seems thats for linux. I downloaded windows version of squid 2.7 and im getting the error: netmask masks away part of the specified ip.

I installed squid using the command prompt with the command "squid.exe -i" but unable to start the service because of that error.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News