Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Post Getting VLC (Video player - Divx, Xvid, Avi) to work in YDL 5.0

Sponsored Links
    Ok, here's what I did. Included in this post is a zip file with two folders.

1) One includes all of the RPM files that I personally needed to get rid of all of the dependencies.
    2) The other includes a replacement yum.conf file to be placed into /etc under the file system (Make sure you're root when you do this, also make sure you backup your original yum.conf)

Simple (somewhat) directions:
    1) Replace yum.conf with included yum.conf. This adds a few new servers to your database (they point to yellow dog linux 4.0 servers though, so remember that in a few weeks or whenever freshrpms updates so you can modify the files again)
    2) Go into your terminal and type these commands as root (or type su to gain root privileges):

rpm --import [Register or Login to view links]

rpm --import [Register or Login to view links]
    3) Ok, now for the confusing and possibly frustrating part. As I said I'm new to Linux so I had no really great way to do this. What I did was randomly click the RPM files and move them to another directory as they successfully installed, if I received a dependency error, I'd find the file that I needed and go to install that one. It doesn't take too long.
    4) Finally, install the VLC included in this package.

I've been able to play every mp3, xvid, divx, mpeg, etc that I have thrown at this. Also remember the tip that the first poster mentioned (start up YDL in the gnome interface or else VLC isn't going to show up under applications).

Also, remember I'm really new to Linux myself, so I'm not going to be able to answer many questions. Everything that came out of this was due to trial, error, and a lot of searching.

Yeah I know that it's a bit silly that the whole thing is bunched up in a zip, but I'm assuming you have a way to transfer these files over to your PS3, whether it be a thumb drive or your Ipod.

Good luck everybody.

Here's the link to the videolan client you need to install, and my packages are attached below.

[Register or Login to view links]

People have told me that there are some dependencies missing. If you have troubles either search for them or post in here and I'll try to find them.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Also, if you have trouble with VLC here are some pretty straightforward instructions to install Mplayer, which essentially does the same thing.

This walkthrough was not written by me so the help that I can provide is limited. I DID get it to work on my system so I can verify that it does work.

STEP 1: Download mplayer and essential codecs, save them (do not unpack them) in Desktop or other folder under root

Under the main program, download: MPlayer-1.0rc1.tar.bz2

Under the Codecs download: essential-ppc-20061022.tar.bz2

Under Skins download: Blue-1.7.tar.bz2

STEP 2: open a terminal / shell session, first unpack and compile mplayer - copy paste all below to the terminal window
    cd `find /root -iregex .*mplayer[^/]*tar.* | perl -ne 's/(^.*)\/.*$/$1/; print;'`
    tar -xvf `ls | grep -i mplayer | grep -i ".tar."`
    cd `ls | grep -i mplayer | grep -v ".tar."`
    ./configure --enable-gui

STEP 3: copy paste all below to the terminal window (this will take awhile as it compile the source files)
    make
    make install

STEP 4: this will unpack and move codec to /usr/local/lib/codecs
    cd `find /root -iregex .*essential[^/]*tar.* | perl -ne 's/(^.*)\/.*$/$1/; print;'`
    tar -xvf `ls | grep -i essential | grep -i ".tar."`
    mv `ls | grep -i mplayer | grep -v ".tar."` /usr/local/lib/codecs

STEP 5: unpack Blue-1.7.tar.bz2 and copy to /usr/local/share/mplayer/skin/default (you may need to create "default" folder)

STEP 6: type mplayer <filename> or gmplayer (gui version)
    Last edited by coheedcollapse; 01-03-2007 at 07:26 PM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    WARNING - noob Linux question:

will this play PAL DVDs? like i said on another post, the one thing my PS3 doesn't do my modded XBOX does is play PAL DVDs.... the faster as i can get rid of that expensive, outdated, out-of-production box, the better!

i'm having trouble installing vlc player in linux. i keep getting the following error:

"[root@localhost ~]# yum -y install videolan-client
    Repository updates is listed more than once in the configuration
    Repository freshrpms is listed more than once in the configuration
    Loading "installonlyn" plugin
    Setting up Install Process
    Setting up repositories
    core [1/10]
    file:///mnt/cdrom/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 5] OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/cdrom/repodata/repomd.xml'
    Trying other mirror.
    Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: core
    failure: repodata/repomd.xml from core: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
    Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from core: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try."

any advice?

Here what I did before installing VLC in Linux: Make sure you delete the # character before baseurl in these files:

yellowdog-base.repo
    yellowdog-extras.repo
    yellowdog-updates.repo

HOWTO:

1. Log in as root
    2. Open File Manager Program (like Nautilus)
    3. Select File System -> etc -> yum.repos.d by double clicking each items
    4. Open yellowdog-base.repo
    5. Delete the # character in front of baseurl (ie. change from #baseurl -> baseurl)
    6. Click Save
    7. Do the same for other 2 files

Good Luck !

it stilll says the same thing. and i tried another method i found but it says

"Failed dependencies:
    libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 is needed by vlc-0.8.5-1.i386
    libdbus-1.so.1 is needed by vlc-0.8.5-1.i386
    libgnutls.so.11 is needed by vlc-0.8.5-1.i386
    libgnutls.so.11(GNUTLS_REL_1_0_9) is needed by vlc-0.8.5-1.i386
    libImlib2.so.1 is needed by caca-utils-0.9-1.i386"

I managed to get VLC installed on Yellowdog running on a PS3. Have you made sure YUM is up and running? And have you got the right REPOS configured ...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter316 View Post
    it stilll says the same thing. and i tried another method i found but it says

"Failed dependencies:
    libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 is needed by vlc-0.8.5-1.i386
    libdbus-1.so.1 is needed by vlc-0.8.5-1.i386
    libgnutls.so.11 is needed by vlc-0.8.5-1.i386
    libgnutls.so.11(GNUTLS_REL_1_0_9) is needed by vlc-0.8.5-1.i386
    libImlib2.so.1 is needed by caca-utils-0.9-1.i386"

Is it possible for this vlc player to playback x264 rips or other hd content? HR.hdtv xvid for instance?

Quote Originally Posted by GarciaM25 View Post
    WARNING - noob Linux question:

will this play PAL DVDs? like i said on another post, the one thing my PS3 doesn't do my modded XBOX does is play PAL DVDs.... the faster as i can get rid of that expensive, outdated, out-of-production box, the better!
    If I remember right, VLC will NOT play any CSS-encumbered DVD without a DVD codec (something that isn't exactly legal on Linux). Surely there are other linux programs specifically designed to play DVDs with the De-CSS code in them.

And yes, in all likelyhood programs that run DVDs in Linux would run the horrible PAL DVDs. Just make sure your TV can accept the PAL 50hz signal/resolution

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    Is it possible for this vlc player to playback x264 rips or other hd content? HR.hdtv xvid for instance?
    The VLC player I have on my PC does not have the h.264 codec, so I don't know if this one has it or not. If it did, the PS3 has more than enough processing power to play it

Quote Originally Posted by 8psisi View Post
    how do you login as the admin?
    username = root
    Password = the password you provided when you installed YDL

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News