Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I get an import error when i try this command :

rpm --import [Register or Login to view links]

anything else seems to be working, but im not sure weather or not the vlc install has frozen. It's been still for like 10 min.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopdogg12 View Post
    I get an import error when i try this command :

rpm --import [Register or Login to view links]

anything else seems to be working, but im not sure weather or not the vlc install has frozen. It's been still for like 10 min.
    that is because you probably highlighted over and copied the links, which show as truncated w/...

you need to right click the link, and then copy_link_location to copy full link

[Register or Login to view code]

I just did this myself, and haven't gotten an error yet.. just installed the VLC.rpm and it's currently updating stuff. hope it works
    Last edited by Diverge; 02-27-2007 at 11:54 PM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    heres what i did:

-download the zip file here and use archive manager to extract it to /etc/yum.repos.d . You'll need to set the directory as it will try to download to the desktop.
    -open teminal and type "yum update"
    -then type "yum install videolan-client" in terminal.
    -you can also type "yum install unrar"
    Attached Files Attached Files

VLC has succesfully been installed on my PS3
    I can clairify things but I used the first and last post to make it work.

Yep got it too work too SoNotImportant, thanks for the hint.
    It likes to crash on me though...(full screen)

Banned User

Thumbs Up

I know this might be a very late tip. but, VLC crashes after fullscreen because of the Enlightment desktop. if you go in through a GNOME session. it won't crash

vlc choked when trying to play h264 for me. granted, it is a 6gb file, but it won't even display anything. avi/divx/etc are fine though. i'm using ydl and vlc installed via yum.

Quote Originally Posted by schturf View Post
    vlc choked when trying to play h264 for me. granted, it is a 6gb file, but it won't even display anything. avi/divx/etc are fine though. i'm using ydl and vlc installed via yum.
    I used a combination of the first post and that "thepros.zip" (after reading SoNotImportant and hacked2123's posts) - and then somewhere during that process I installed yumex and then finished installing vlc using yumex.

It plays avi/divx/etc just fine, like you mentioned, but the video stutters pretty bad with my backedup m2ts files (even the very, very small ones). Audio plays thru the digital toslink output (without stuttering), and I've selected the 5.1 audio option, but vlc isn't really outputting dd5.1 (my receiver doesn't see it as 5.1).
    ... using gnome session, of course.

But using Nero Showtime on my laptop, with my laptop plugged into my plasma, it works fantastic. I do see a barely perceptible stutter every now and then, but I assume that's just because I'm using a thinkpad (which are certainly not known for their graphic abilities).

Overall, I'm estatic with what I've learned here this weekend (thanks to hacked and everyone else). I was hoping to use my ps3/linux for watching my backup's, if for no other reason than the fact that half of my actual store-bought BluRay movies freeze up a few times during playback - I just have to wait it out, and then it starts playing again (about 10seconds). But I'll just use a windows box to play my m2ts backup's instead.

followed guide and got it all working on my ps3, thanks guys

DJBBOY

Hi!

Ive got 720p xvid files with 5.1 AC3 sound playing without any stuttering with mplayer in YDL 5.0.
    h.264 and x.264 encoded videos does play but stutters and sound becomes out of sync.

They key for me to get these files to play perfectly was to add some parameters when starting mplayer.
    Telling it to use the framebuffer instead of Xorg improved the framerate to almost perfect. so to use it:

mplayer -vo fbdev <filename>

cache also improved the playback of all files: mplayer -vo fbdev -cache 8192 <filename>

That will use 8 MB of Ram..you can probably get better playback over wireless with a bigger cache. There are LOADS of other parameters that can improve playback on all file formats. just type: man mplayer

this will show you the manual for mplayer which has a few examples and a lot of info. Ive tried lots of the these in various combinations with varied results

The basic fbdev and cache is a good start.

Remember! When using the -vo fbdev switch it gets kinda hard to use the Linux GUI so use Esc or Q to quit playback. Having a terminal ready to kill the process. Once the file has played youre back to normal though.

Ive read that some ppl are getting x.264 HD movies to play without stuttering using gentoo linux. No guides or anything though.. Im still trying to squeeze a few more fps from x.264. If cant make it happen soon ill wait for someone else to figure it out and start concentrating on getting my PS3 to replace my xbox1 with XBMC.

Things like on-the-fly unraring while streaming from a network share. Ive done it in windows so it should even be easier in linux which has better scripting.

-Hottar

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News