Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

GameStop not getting enough PS3s to fill preorders

Sponsored Links
    Retailer's launch allocations not expected to cover original batch of reservations; employees "asked" to wait until second shipment to buy systems.

By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
    Posted Nov 13, 2006 12:28 pm PT

Last month, retailer GameStop began accepting "limited" preorders for the PlayStation 3, asking customers to put down $100 in advance for the system, with a modest expectation of eight units per store in most cases. Now it appears the largest gaming specialty chain in North America won't be receiving even that many systems.

A GameStop representative told GameSpot today that the company received launch allocation numbers from Sony, and that it won't be able to fill its existing PS3 preorders.

"We are beginning to notify our customers that our initial shipment of PS3 systems will not be what we expected," the representative said. "As this is not an ideal situation, we are asking employees to wait to purchase systems until the second shipment. We are anticipating having systems to cover reservations before Christmas."

For launch day, preorders will be filled in the order they were received, and those who had a preorder but are denied a system on day one will receive something for their troubles. GameStop will give those unfortunate customers (as well as unfortunate employees) a free used game or DVD valued at $19.99 or less when they eventually wind up purchasing the system.

Those who reserved a system won't need to wait long to find out if they can expect a system on launch day. Starting tomorrow, customers who preordered a PS3 will be contacted personally by phone and updated on the status of their reservation, the rep said.

And while it might be a non-issue considering the clamor for consumers to get their hands on the coveted systems, GameStop is also asking anyone with a confirmed preorder to pick their systems up by Saturday evening.
    Source: [Register or Login to view links]

Sounds like bad news.....
    Last edited by NiNJA; 11-13-2006 at 04:57 PM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    my gamestop called me yesterday and the guy told me that they will only get 8... damn!! im #15... now i have to wait for the 2nd shipment... but for how long!?!?!!?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I would call to confirm again today or tommorrow. I load for UPS in a urban area and I have EBgames and Target on my trucks and they each received 4 PS3's. Lots of Wii's but only 4 PS3's so if your #15 I say good luck getting it before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilla View Post
    Second shipments for game products are generally a week or so later.
    I dont think the second shipment will be a week later, more like a month, but i dont know for sure of course.

Being NR 15 isn't that bad, ok, you wont get your PS3 on the 17th thats for shure, but your NR 15 in the USA, how long will you think it woult take to get your PS3 in Taiwan if your NR 15, the only got 500 units at launch.

Always look at the bright side of life

Im number 1,962,315 I will get mine next year at tax time lol.

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News