Sponsored Links
What better way to celebrate your PS3 turning 1 year old than to open up the console, see what approximately 4000 hours of potential dust looks like, and then give it a clean! pumba512 did just that on the official PS boards (linked above).

To quote: So, my PS3 turned 1 not long ago.. so.. I decided to see what 1 year (about 4,000 hrs) of dust looks like in it, and to give it a clean.

This is a Aus 60gig, always been horizontal. (I have vacuumed the vents every week (give or take), and dust it off with a microfibre cloth almost religiously.. Never used compressed air on it)

It's home for starters (carpet floor).. So after that I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought. But there was a lot of fine dust in it, and only a little bit of a clump under the fan on the cpu/gpu heatsink part, nothing but fine dust on the heatsink fins.

Bottom casing was very dusty (also found little bugs a mosquito..and a hair... yeah I dunno..) top of case was just as bad, under the Blue Ray drive was fairly bad (doesn't look like to much in the pics but I blew it without thinking to take pics)

The fan was covered in thick fine dust. Other things = screws on the fan were a little loose... I could move it around like 2mm.. (its pretty quiet now and doesn't vibe like it used to).. was sorta concerned about that... Top plate on case (PlayStation 3 bit) wasn't tightened enough.. screw was pretty loose.

I'm mainly writing this up to show what general use of a PS3 looks like, really there was no need to clean it under these conditions (but it did help), but for people who let them get very dusty think what yours would look like... Wouldnt want to see that dusty PlayStation kids one... or other PS3's Sony gets sent back :S

More pics linked above!

Gamer opens up PS3 after a Year to see Dust Collection

More PlayStation 3 News...