Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have accidentally left my PS3 on twice inside of a closed compartment, paused in the middle of R:FOM and it was fine. It was an oven when I opened the doors but it cooled down and everything is 100%. I think that attests to its cooling system and stability.

Quote Originally Posted by GarciaM25 View Post
    adding ANYTHING to the PS3 to get it to "cool" or "vent" better, like those N-tercooler junk things, will actually end up hurting more than helping.... hot air is SUPPOSED to come out of the unit, trying to blow "cool" air into the machine or force hot air out any faster is effectively adding to the destruction of the unit
    I don't use that garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by GarciaM25 View Post
    sucks that you had that happen to first unit, i won't leave my PS3 on for more than a few hours at a time, longest time being to watch a full length movie and then play a game for another hour or so.... while i don't think the project will FAIL (failure being defined as not accomplishing the end result), i do think you're 100% right that it won't succeed in its mission.... we all have computers to do folding tasks (if we so choose), we won't spend our time using up the PS3 for it!
    First AND second unit. The unit sits in open space. The house is kept at 70F. The exhaust is hot enough to cause pain to your skin once it's been on for an hour. The time I left my unit on, the unit was sitting at the menu. I can't imagine what serious number crunching would do to it.

Ok, fail was harsh. However, imagine how many people are going to let this app run and come back to a non functioning machine. I'm not the only one with this problem and there will be many reports of overheating once people are given a reason to leave thier unit on.

......dang, I never thought to bring home the temp gun we have at work. I'll have to bring it home monday. It's a pretty high quality gun, we use it to test temps on rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoFreak View Post
    ......dang, I never thought to bring home the temp gun we have at work. I'll have to bring it home monday. It's a pretty high quality gun, we use it to test temps on rotors.
    contact temp gun or laser temp gun? might make a difference as a lot of the exterior components are plastic - i build custom race and street cars and have used both

Quote Originally Posted by noucamp99 View Post
    Enter team field as 58535 to become a member of PS3News team and have your results included in our total.
    i'll add it, but don't expect much to come from me---err, the whole PS3NEWS, rather.... hah

the Sunday Night Foldathon has begun it looks like, where's PS3NEWS team gonna rank up? i might have to join up with a team that's gonna WIN if you all aren't gonna support the cause! hah

Folding@Home Connection Error: Help!

Is anyone having any problems getting F@H to work on the PS3 under fw1.6?

My JAP PS3 connects to the EU PSN and PS Store no problem, however when I startup F@H, the app starts up and then sits there "Preparing for Download ..." and remains at 0% for 5mins before erroring with "Error: Could not connect to the server", it then waits for a few minutes and tries again, looping like this until I quit.

I have read on the forum that it maybe related to the port 8080 not being opened, however I have setup my router to forward this and still no joy!

I know its not my network config as everything else works fine. Am I missing something ? Anyone, please help this is incredibly frustrating. :??

BTW: Just spotted that $ony must have changed the security in 1.6 as I can no longer remote-play connect to my OE PSP using remote play - given the new PSP FW announcement today, I guess $ony have blocked support for PSP custom firmware versions.

Make sure you are not using the ps3 proxy server.

Quote Originally Posted by evo8 View Post
    I have read on the forum that it maybe related to the port 8080 not being opened, however I have setup my router to forward this and still no joy!
    Well - it's actually using port 443 (it's transferring WUs via www.k2.cbe-world.com:443)

Try from your PC if you can telnet www.k2.cbe-world.com 443 - you should get prompt with flashing cursor and after 2x Enter (or any login / password attempt) it will go back to command (DOS) prompt ...
    Last edited by GrandpaHomer; 03-29-2007 at 06:03 AM

Well I can access this from the PC via browser or via cmd and telnet, still no joy with F@H. I have forwarded port 443 to the PS3 on my netgear router and still no difference.

Any other ideas, I'm stumped? :hitw

BTW How did you know about port 443, I havn't seen any references to this at all? Anwyays thanks GrandpaHomer/ for the input, I appreciate the assistance and any other help you can provide.
    Last edited by evo8; 04-06-2007 at 07:18 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You can capture all TCP / IP traffic and then see which ports are used ...

You can also try to put your PS3 in DMZ zone if your router support this function ...

I belive F@H is just the first step to explore the great qualities of the PS3 in distributed computing.

BTW: has any1 ever heard something about BOINC?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12