Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Final Fantasy XIII PS3 Sells 1 Million on First Day, 37.6GB in Size

Sponsored Links
    Today Yahoo reports that Final Fantasy XIII has sold over 1 million PS3 copies on launch day in Japan, and PS3 Dev rickylyh confirmed it weighs in at 37.6GB in size on a dual-layer Blu-ray disc with a 1.6GB system cache in dev_hdd1 used to aid in loading.

This figure doesn't include the system bundles, however, but Square Enix managed to ship 1.8 million copies total (including bundles) to retail stores.

Unfortunately, unless you are looking to import the much-anticipated RPG, you'll have to wait until March of next year for it to arrive in other regions.

For those curious, Final Fantasy XIII will be released in the US and Europe for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on March 9, 2010.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    37.6 GB?! OMG I want this!!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    That's interesting because that means the game will fit onto 4 dual layer DVD's EXACTLY. Well that sucks, it seems like there may not be anything different between the ps3 and 360 versions.

I remember that MGS4 was a full dual layer Blu-ray disc. Does that mean that they have less material? or hideo kojima pushed it too far?

4 dual layer dvd's would come up about 3.5 GB short. Also, I think there would probably be some overlap, so if the 360 were to have exactly the same content as the PS3, they would need at least 5 discs...PS3 is awesome

Probably because the audio is lawless on the PS3 where as the xbox is compressed also the Videos on the PS3 are 1080P (and no need to skimp on optimizing size since they have nearly 50gbs to use) the xbox is compressed 720p videos.

Also the game runs in 720p not 1080p but the videos are 1080p that's about the only difference between both versions (video and audio content).
    Last edited by Rocky5; 12-18-2009 at 11:49 AM

Quote Originally Posted by y2kkingboy View Post
    I remember that MGS4 was a full dual layer Blu-ray disc. Does that mean that they have less material? or hideo kojima pushed it too far?
    It was the 2 hours of cut scenes that added up a lot on that game. Aside from it's badass graphics

Dual layer dvd discs hold 7.97Gb, not 9.4gb (dats single layer on each side). According to Nero dat is 8152mb and there has to be some overlaps in the 360 version, so i think Square has to use 5 entire discs 100% to make the 360 version exactly same as PS3 version (if they want to).

The only thing interested me is dat they used a dual-layer disc (they could save some bucks using single-layer ones) and still spared 12.4GB space. They could easily fit higher bitrate FMvs and uncompressed 7.1 audio,but they didnt just to promote the 360 version. MGS4 used a dual-layer disc completely, Killzone2 was on dual-layer too.

Uncharted 2 used every single bit (not byte) left on a single layer disc. Thats why Naughty dog had to compress those bonus 'making of' videos to really low quality using variable bitrates, they dont even complain to Sony !!

Quote Originally Posted by ashik82 View Post
    The only thing interested me is dat they used a dual-layer disc (they could save some bucks using single-layer ones) and still spared 12.4GB space. They could easily fit higher bitrate FMvs and uncompressed 7.1 audio,but they didnt just to promote the 360 version. MGS4 used a dual-layer disc completely, Killzone2 was on dual-layer too.
    Not that I disagree, but on the flip side, they could have reduced the size down to fit on a single layer, so I'm glad they didn't do that. We haven't seen a 360 release yet, so it's a bit early to say whether the PS3 version suffered (eg. 360 could be compressed and on 3 discs).

Also, it's worth pointing out that a full disc doesn't always mean the extra space has been put to good use. I've seen a lot of games (on other consoles) that have a bunch of random garbage just to fill up some space.

I'll be surprised if the audio and video doesn't absolutely blow me away on PS3. I have a 360 as well, so I plan to compare them both and see the differences for myself.

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News