Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Final 3-D Blu-ray Specification Announced, PS3 is 3D Compatible

Sponsored Links
    Considering all of the press Sony has already got for PS3 3D gaming, it's no surprise that the PlayStation 3 meets Blu-ray 3D compatibility specifications as announced by the BDA (Blu-Ray Disc Association) today.

Press Release from Blu-ray.com (linked above): The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced the finalization and release of the "Blu-ray 3D" specification.

It leverages the technical advantages of the BD format to deliver "unmatched picture quality" as well as uniformity and compatibility across the full range of Blu-ray 3D products, both hardware and software. The specification is also designed to allow the PS3 to play back Blu-ray 3D content in 3-D.

Notably, the specification allows every player and movie supporting it to deliver full HD 1080p resolution to each eye. Moreover, the specification is display agnostic, meaning that Blu-ray 3D products will deliver the 3-D image to any compatible 3-D display, regardless of whether that display uses LCD, plasma or other technology and regardless of what 3-D technology the display uses to deliver the image to the viewer's eyes.

Regarding compatibility, the specification supports playback of 2-D discs in forthcoming 3-D players and can enable 2-D playback of Blu-ray 3D discs on the installed base of Blu-ray Disc players currently in homes around the world.

The Blu-ray 3D specification calls for encoding 3-D video using the Multiview Video Coding (MVC) codec, an extension to the ITU-T H.264 Advanced Video Coding (AVC) codec currently supported by all Blu-ray Disc players.

MPEG4-MVC compresses both left and right eye views with a typical 50% overhead compared to equivalent 2-D content, and can provide full 1080p resolution backward compatibility with current 2-D Blu-ray Disc players. The specification also incorporates enhanced graphic features for 3-D. These features provide a new experience for users, enabling navigation using 3-D graphic menus and displaying 3-D subtitles positioned in 3-D video.

The completed specification will be available shortly and provides individual manufacturers and content providers with the technical information and guidelines necessary to develop, announce and bring products to market pursuant to their own internal planning cycles and timetables.

"Throughout this year, movie goers have shown an overwhelming preference for 3-D when presented with the option to see a theatrical release in either 3-D or 2-D," said Victor Matsuda, chairman, BDA Global Promotions Committee. "We believe this demand for 3-D content will carry over into the home now that we have, in Blu-ray Disc, a medium that can deliver a quality Full HD 3-D experience to the living room."

"From a technological perspective, it is simply the best available platform for bringing 3D into the home," said Benn Carr, chairman, BDA 3D Task Force. "The disc capacity and bit rates Blu-ray Disc provides enable us to deliver 3D in Full HD 1080p high definition resolution."

"In 2009 we saw Blu-ray firmly establish itself as the most rapidly adopted packaged media format ever introduced," said Matsuda. "We think the broad and rapid acceptance Blu-ray Disc already enjoys with consumers will be a factor in accelerating the uptake of 3-D in the home. In the meantime, existing players and libraries can continue to be fully enjoyed as consumers consider extending into 3-D home entertainment."

A note on spelling: Earlier this year, the blu-ray.com team unanimously decided to use the spelling "3-D", with a hyphen, for everything related to stereoscopic images, and "3D", without a hyphen, for three-dimensional graphics and animation. We shall continue to do so, except when citing the name of the "Blu-ray 3D" specification, which doesn't use the hyphen.

Final 3-D Blu-ray Specification Announced, PS3 is 3D Compatible

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Does anyone know what qualifies a screen to be described as '3-D compatible'?

I've just bought a UK model 100Hz LCD thinking that that would be enough - fingers crossed!

Sponsored Links

Arrow

Sponsored Links
    Without looking I'm not sure myself but here's a list of 3D compatible TVs/monitors: [Register or Login to view links] (probably more out there, just first link I saw)

I think kind of display will work, the BR player is the only difference.

Your tv/monitor has to have 120hz not 100hz to be able to have 3-d capability and it has to have a sticker saying it is 3-d ready like the mitsubishi tvs.

Question

Does this mean that you have to buy a TV which is supports the frame timing stuff for 3d, or can you use a standard HD tv which supports 120mhz+ by using some of those with stereo filter glasses?

(Assuming of course that a PS3 glasses peripheral is released at some point)

PSPSwampy.
    (not had time to properly look into 3d stuff yet!)

It's got to be 120hz at least since each eye needs one 60hz frame.. think any 3d stereo lcd shutter glasses will work but am not 100% sure.

Isn't 3D going to be similar to the 3D movies on DVD? where as - its not the framerate/quality of the tv issue. Its more of a Bluray player issue - the screen will just display how the PS3 renders the content.

I mean i have a Bravia 46" LCD, thats not 100Hz - but it renders the 3D Dvd content perfectly - without tearing/jerking - looking smooth with the upscaling even

I believe the TV has to specifically support it (none here in Australia do), and part of that is at least 120hz frame rate and require stereoscopic glasses. There is a specific "3D ready" tag to compatible devices.

Philips are intending to release a screen that supposedly won't require the glasses, which would be cool. I just don't see myself sitting on the couch with those stupid looking things on my head...

affordable 3D tvs.. in 2015 maybe

Google products lists the Philips WOWvx - 42-3D6W02 - 42" 3D flat panel display for only $9000.00 ! Pass the dorky glasses please...

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News