Fedora zod on a laptop.

ok i know this isnt a ps3 question but you guys seem to know linux really well so i thought i would throw it out there.

anyway i installed ydl 5 on my ps3 and can see that in the future it might be usefull to really understand linux. so i thought i would install fedora 6 zod on my laptop. it will boot but constantly crashes during install??i have tryed the install help and different ways to load and havent had any luck.this is the software i downloaded on dvd. Fedora Core 6 Zod dvd images for i386 .

my laptop is a older toshiba p3 500 with i belive 128 mb ram and 12 gig hd.

just wondering if this computer is to slow to run fedora 6 ? if so could it run a older version of fedora? this laptop will run xp and 2000 fine.

also i see the fedora dowloads with Fedora Core 6 Zod dvd images for x86_64 and Fedora Core 6 Zod dvd images for ppc . is one of these the correct install for me?

thanks for the help
    robert

How exactly does it crash? My guess is your hardware. Did you try installing using the 'no probe' method? just type in linux no probe at the Fedora core screen. This disables some hardware that may be causing these crashes. If this still doesn't work, I'd say the type of media you used to burn these images are no good. (could be wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by robertr728 View Post
    ok i know this isnt a ps3 question but you guys seem to know linux really well so i thought i would throw it out there.

anyway i installed ydl 5 on my ps3 and can see that in the future it might be usefull to really understand linux. so i thought i would install fedora 6 zod on my laptop. it will boot but constantly crashes during install??i have tryed the install help and different ways to load and havent had any luck.this is the software i downloaded on dvd. Fedora Core 6 Zod dvd images for i386 .

my laptop is a older toshiba p3 500 with i belive 128 mb ram and 12 gig hd.

just wondering if this computer is to slow to run fedora 6 ? if so could it run a older version of fedora? this laptop will run xp and 2000 fine.

also i see the fedora dowloads with Fedora Core 6 Zod dvd images for x86_64 and Fedora Core 6 Zod dvd images for ppc . is one of these the correct install for me?

thanks for the help
    robert
    perhaps this sounds foolish, but did you check the md5sum on that image? i386 is the right package for your hardware. Does that box even have a dvd rom ? Have you tried any of the other install methods instead of just clicking enter at boot?

Fedora will run slow, buy you can probably switch to XFCE for your desktop and run decently. Don't expect anything magical.

yeah i tried all the different ways to install like no probe etc. never really thought about media but i do have a pressed copy of freora 5 and it too crashes. not sure what md5sum is? it asks if i wanna run a media check when it installes and i usually click skip i will try to say yes and see what happens.

as far as how it crashes it seems to be random. sometimes it gets to installation progress screen and sometimes it dosent make it that far.

im starting to think its either some piece of hardware in my laptop that fedora dosent like or my dvd rom for my laptop is starting to go bad?