Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

European Law Grants Partial Refund Due to PS3 OtherOS Removal

Sponsored Links
    Update: [Register or Login to view links] now reports that Sony has stated they have no intention of reimbursing retailers if they offer fat PS3 users partial refunds because of the removal of the Install OtherOS function, and as a result retailer GAME is already refusing refunds.

According to PlayStationUniversity.com (linked above), a European law grants a partial refund to PS3 consumers due to the recent removal of the OtherOS feature in the PS3 Firmware v3.21 update.

A PS3 owner (60GB) version has managed to gain a partial refund from Amazon (without returning the system) due to the removal of the OtherOS feature.

The EU citizen cited a European law which states a product must be fit for its purpose which was made known to the seller at the time of purchase, and as a result he managed to receive around 80GBP back!

To quote: "The online retailer's policy was to offer a refund weighing in at approximately 20 per cent of the console's original value. Amazon responds:

We are writing to confirm that we have processed your refund in the amount of £84.00 for your Order 666-5327564-4432412.
    Item Refund: £71.49
    Item Tax Refund: £12.51
    This refund is for the following item(s):
    Item: Sony PlayStation 3 Console (60GB Premium Version)
    Quantity: 1
    ASIN: B0007SV734
    Reason for refund: Account adjustment"

And here is the legal citation under [Register or Login to view links], which was accepted into European Parliament on January 1, 2002.

"The goods must:

-†comply with the description given by the seller and posses the same qualities and characteristics as other similar goods
    -†be fit for the purpose which the consumer requires them and which was made known to the seller at the time of purchase."

European Law Grants Partial Refund Due to PS3 OtherOS Removal

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I have now moved it to the Site News, and +Rep ekita!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    effin awesome! i cant wait for sonys response.

Hmm - could be interesting, wonder how many similar refunds will be made in the coming months!

(I wonder if Play.com will do this too - might be a good way for me to get some cash!)

how do i have to do this?? i want my money back

Get your money back and with 3.21OO, get your OtherOS back too Nice deal.

Lets hope this makes Sony more careful the next time they try another stunt like this (removing otherOS) but highly doubt they will do anything though.

Good find/post. Very interested to see if this takes off. That's a nice hunk of change for a refund too. Maybe they should offer everyone a $50 PSN credit for taking Other OS. Might be easier administratively speaking instead of handing out cash rebates/refunds.

Exclamation

This could be fake. Until we get other confirmations of Amazon honouring this we do not know.

Google "Amazon offer partial refund (£84) for removal of the PS3's `Other OS' feature" and have a read; other people's emails to Amazon have not been honoured so far...

Quote Originally Posted by red8316 View Post
    Good find/post. Very interested to see if this takes off. That's a nice hunk of change for a refund too. Maybe they should offer everyone a $50 PSN credit for taking Other OS. Might be easier administratively speaking instead of handing out cash rebates/refunds.
    That would be better then nothing.

Nice find, but if this is real. Amazon left themselves to loose a lot of money that they would eventually (along with other European interest companies) would have to get legal with getting it back from Sony. Things might get interesting in the future.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News