Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

ESRB Censors Violent God of War 3 PlayStation 3 Videos

Sponsored Links
    Late last night, the ESRB forced the removal of several gruesome God of War III [Register or Login to view links] and replaced them with censored versions.

Two of the more notorious scenes shown thus far from the game, one where Kratos rips the eye out of a cyclops and one where Kratos tears the head of Helios from his body, were blocked out by a big 'censored by the ESRB' logo.

To quote: The two scenes both showed detailed flesh tearing and gore.

Though the trailers can still be found uncensored elsewhere on the 'net, this does bring up concerns as to what may happen to the content in the final game, both in these scenes and ones that haven't been shown.

In an interview from PlayStation Magazine, the God of War team was quoted saying "Some of these scenes are so violent, they are never going on the Internet", meaning we haven't even seen the worst of it yet, but the ESRB is already stepping in.

In 2007, Manhunt was barred from release because of excessive and bleak violence - could God of War III be headed down the same path?

ESRB Censors Violent God of War 3 PlayStation 3 Videos

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    this makes me wish the ps3 was hacked along with i think sony should allow it to happen so that their content can't be censored and the game devs can truly allow the game to shine if it is done other than officially.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by shummyr View Post
    this makes me wish the ps3 was hacked along with i think sony should allow it to happen so that their content can't be censored and the game devs can truly allow the game to shine if it is done other than officially.
    What does Hacking the console have to do with the ESRB? Honestly it doesn't make any sense to me. How can hacking a console fix the ESRB's stupid "Well no one should be allowed to play that because it's too real, excuse us while we go turn on saw the movie for our kids." I honestly don't think any game should be blocked by anyone but the person who makes the console. For instance why should Someone's hard work go down the drain when the movie business can do what they want? And honestly it is harder making a game then a movie.

Point is, I don't mind games being rated. It protects kids and parents, in fact I believe they should make it Illegal to sell a M rated game to anyone younger then 17. But I will not support them blocking games from being released because they war "Too violent". I think I'm old enough to decide what is "Too Violent" for me. As for a trailer I really don't care at this point. If they try and censor the final version I believe they will have bitten off more then they can chew and wouldn't be surprised if people protest and possibly take them to court.

I personally feel the whole ESRB concept is dumb. It is nothing more than a organization that allows parents to be lazy. If a person wants to make a gory game and it upsets parents then they should not allow their children to play it.

Who are the ESRB to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their time and money? I wish parents would take some initiative in their children's lives so that these organizations that stifle free-speech would not be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpwer222 View Post
    I personally feel the whole ESRB concept is dumb. It is nothing more than a organization that allows parents to be lazy. If a person wants to make a gory game and it upsets parents then they should not allow their children to play it.

Who are the ESRB to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their time and money? I wish parents would take some initiative in their children's lives so that these organizations that stifle free-speech would not be necessary.
    Exactly, not to mention most parents don't even follow the ESRB and go buy their kids whatever they want despite the system. Then they complain about how gory the game is without taking into consideration that a M rating means 17+, Adult rating, esc.

In my own opinion, the ESRB is quite useless. I'd say an estimated number of adults who buy their kids violent video games without looking at the ESRB rating are pretty high. say, 60-70%.

Quote Originally Posted by CyanCaze View Post
    What does Hacking the console have to do with the ESRB?
    Yes it does because then we can remove the filters and do whatever the heck we want.. look at manhunt for the psp, ps2 and wii or gta and the hot coffee mod.
    Last edited by shummyr; 07-19-2009 at 03:44 AM

Quote Originally Posted by shummyr View Post
    Yes it does because then we can remove the filters and do whatever the heck we want.. look at manhunt for the psp, ps2 and wii or gta and the hot coffee mod.
    Didn't the Hot Coffee mod cause the ESRB to rate it A?

No matter how hackable the PS3 is, the ESRB will still be there to censor the game. Extra mods and ways that circumvent the ratings the ESRB put in place, will only cause more positive press for the organization. The ESRB would only profit from mods that make games more violent.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpwer222 View Post
    Didn't the Hot Coffee mod cause the ESRB to rate it A?

No matter how hackable the PS3 is, the ESRB will still be there to censor the game. Extra mods and ways that circumvent the ratings the ESRB put in place, will only cause more positive press for the organization. The ESRB would only profit from mods that make games more violent.
    true, you have a point on that one.

ESRB =

I hope this doesnt affect the end result of the game it will be a real shame. Only thing is if they do kick up a fuss about, could sony potentially edit the game to make it less gory? would suck if they do and you know that would mean GOW3 new release date of march 2011

Ratings mean nothing. I am sure Gears of War would get a pretty mature rating and look how much it sold considering the majority of 360 gamers are immature kids

It would make sense they include a age chech at the start of the game or something. Would go along with what the entire organisation is about, which is to make sure those involved can sleep at night. "ok we put a useless age check here, goes just well with our usually useless content rating so all is well"

Better than taking out things from the game.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News