Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Unhappy Connecting to a wifi (wep protected) network

Sponsored Links
    im having problems connecting to my girlfriends wireless network with wep protection. im able to connect to it on ps3 operating system no problem. on linux i do the same setup. enter the SSID, enter the WEP key (confirmed the key many times over...i have correct key), but it keeps saying i cant connect. when i log onto router i can see that it recognizes my ps3 but it says inactive of course cause i cant connect. to make sure i checked the mac id on the connection and it was indeed my ps3. can some please inform me how to connect to wireless network on yellow dog linux 5.0.2

also bellsouth is the internet service provider.

has anyone successfully connected to a wireless network with wep protection please give me instructions how you did so so i can use it to help me out. thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    you need "kernel-2.6.23-9.ydl5.1.ppc64.rpm" kernel, and to know if it's already install
    tape in terminal with the editor nano : "nano /etc/kboot.conf" and you should see the version of kernel...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    hi,

You need to enter your wep key as in HEX, i don't know why, but from my experience, I must enter my wep key in HEX, else it won't connect.

Use this site to convert your ASCII to HEX: [Register or Login to view links]

Example your wep key is : Hello = 68:65:6c:6c:6f
    Your wep key in HEX is 68656c6c6f

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    only interesting me - why do you use WEP ? its very unsecure and hacked in a few seconds (did you know?) instead use WPA/PSK or WPA2 both are very secure.. and you dont have to enter the key in hex, you can enter letters.

Quote Originally Posted by roman204 View Post
    only interesting me - why do you use WEP ? its very unsecure and hacked in a few seconds (did you know?) instead use WPA/PSK or WPA2 both are very secure.. and you dont have to enter the key in hex, you can enter letters.
    In YDL 6.0 I tried WEP, WPA and WPA2 encryption. First off I only got WEP encryption to work, but didn't of course not stick to it. Later on I also got WPA2 to work, but then there were some other issues around...

As it looks now, the PS3 Linux development is SLOW. The devs for the YDL project should be ashamed for themselves, not being able to get WiFi working out of the box! I keep my fingers crossed for the PSUbuntu project, or the Gentoo PPC dist.

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News