Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Confirmed: Sony's Big Announcement is Not a PS3 Price Drop

Sponsored Links
    If you've been following videogame news, you know that Sony addresses all questions about unannounced information in the same way: "We don't comment on rumors and speculation."

However, there's a tidbit burning up the Internet as we speak, and it says a big announcement is coming tomorrow.

Sony won't say if that's true, but the chatter is interesting enough that it actually got Sony to launch a comment from SCEA PR Manager Al De Leon about what the rumored news won't be.

To quote: "As we have stated previously, we do not have plans for a PS3 price drop, and any rumors to that effect are false and are the result of speculation," De Leon wrote.

"SCEA remains focused on the long-term momentum of PS3. With the industry's best software lineup this year, combined with our most aggressive marketing campaign to date, we remain confident in our approach and the value we're delivering with PS3."

That's all well and good, but it doesn't douse the rumors that the news is actually that the PlayStation 2 will be dropping to $99.99. What will tomorrow bring? We'll have to wait and see.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sony seriously needs to revamp its advertising campaigns, I can't remember the last time I saw an PS3 ad on TV here in Australia.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I can't speak for everyone, but if Sony's "big announcement" is only a PS2 price cut, there are going to be some very disappointed people. Why would this even classify as a "big announcement" anyway?

I'm hoping the big announcement is to the effect of a PSP-4000 or PSP2. I welcome you with open arms, Mr. Sliding-Screen-PSP!

This "big announcement" could be only a few things

- PS2 at 99.99 which by now everyone and their grandmothers already know about (this is the most likely candidate, lately all of the big announcements have been spoiled in some way or other)

- PSP 2 or PSP 4000 announcement (This is the second most likely one since it has been rumored for so long)

- PS3 price drop (unlikely, especially with the denial gave already but it hasn't been the first time something has been denied and then the opposite happens the very next day.)

I really don't think a new game would be considered a big announcement by sony nor a new controller (the wii like one)

So, there, let the bets roll.

it is a ps2 price drop what a waste lol. Sony is really starting to go down a land slide in my eyes I don't know if there gonna keep good faith with there core user base!

[Register or Login to view links]

I think there still trying to milk the cash cow while its utters aren't dried up since the PS3 still is not where they thought it would be for user base.I really hope Sony has more threw out the day for us loyal PS3 owners who been riding the worst to the mediocre journey to nowhere,Sony's been promising us the best but yet with every let down that happens I don't know what there best will be if it ever comes.

Sorry for my little rant just a little disappointed. Ive been a long time reader of the site for several years now just recently joined and by far this site is the 1st place I check for info keep up the good work guys.I even turned my roommate into a frequenter of this site he loves it lol.
    Last edited by Greazy; 03-31-2009 at 10:11 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It was to be expected, Sony is in this for the profit and they can not afford to just throw money away like MS does just to gain some market share. Still, even in the "mediocre journey to nowhere" they managed to close the gap between the PS3 and 360 in a very short time and have a slew of first party games that puts the 360 to shame.

The PS3 came from a very low place with an overly expensive console lacking in quality games and with a very poor third party support, online and few features to slowly becoming a force to be feared.

The console is still expensive but it's selling consistently even at it's high price (especially in Japan and Europe) the third party games that used to be full of bugs and faulty code are now on par to it's 360 cousins and in some ones they are a even better (for example: Burnout Paradise) the online component is free and it's slowly getting to 360 levels, in about a year it might even be equal and with each firware update the Ps3 gives the user even more than what he started with. I got mine about one year after it came out (got lucky and got a 60GB one) and that console was a pale shadow to the one I got now just because of the constant firware updates.

Sure I am dissapointed that the "big announcement" was something of little interest to the HD gaming crowd but the PS3 has not let me down in a while and I figure with all the new games and future firmware updates it will undoubtedly make me very happy in years to come.

Besides, the PS2 is still kicking the Wii's ass in sales, after all, it just needs a waggle controller to be on the same category since most games can be ported and some are ported from one to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Greazy View Post
    it is a ps2 price drop what a waste lol. Sony is really starting to go down a land slide in my eyes I don't know if there gonna keep good faith with there core user base!

[Register or Login to view links]
    Thanks for the confirmation Greazy and +Rep!

And ya, I feel this is an extremely weak "big announcement" on Sony's part... I haven't checked recently, but I wonder how much the original XBox goes for to compete with $100 PS2 console sales these days.

Banned User
    I already posted the news about the PS2 dropping to 99$, but it didn't showed up on the front page... maybe later... so yeah it is a price drop but for the PS2!

Thumbs Up

Yep I saw it, I will go through the submission que in the next hour or two..

I think they fully stopped production of the original xbox.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News