Concept: PS3 USB Port / Card Reader Plate Unveiled

On the official PS3 EU boards (linked above) st0rmbr1nger has announced news of his new PS3 USB port/card reader plate concept.

He states that the lack of card slots on the PS3 is a real problem, this coupled with a shortage of USB ports means that some new product development is needed! So whats the big idea? A plate which connects to one of the existing USB ports using a slimline USB header with ribbon down the plate.

A multitude of ports, and a MS and SD card reader slot are also supplied bringing this bang up to date! At the back of the plate there are more ports for those always connected, but want to be hidden devices. He also suggests a deluxe version which could be made out of aluminum, therefore providing an extra heatsink for the PS3.

To quote: Don't think anyone has done anything like this. The lack of card slots on the PS3 is a killer, all the current card readers are clumsy and look messy, the shortage of USB ports is also a problem (USB can support upto 256 ports per controller..)

The plate connects to one of the existing USB ports using a slimline USB header with ribbon down the plate. A multitude of ports, and a MS and SD card reader slot are also supplied. At the back there are more ports for those always connected, but want to be hidden devices..

Would Something like this interest anyone? I think it would.

A deluxe version could be made out of aliminium, therefore providing extra heatsink for the PS3. More PlayStation 3 News...

So many USB ports: To me, it seems to be pointless. On the other hand, I have to admit the memory slot should be useful.

I think this is a great design idea. I have the 60 GB PS3 so I already have the card reader but more USB ports is never a bad thing is it is it? I wish Sony had just put 1 USB on the front and the rest on the back. It looks quite ugly when everything is plugged into the front. Messy wires everywhere.

The only major fault I can see with this design is for those who have their PS3 standing on its side. If you plug in more than a couple of USB devices then it will look pretty messy so moving all those USB ports to the back would be better. It would also be a good idea if this device could be powered externally or via USB.

That way you could charge your devices using the ports without the ps3 being switched on. You could also have some fans in there to help cool the system.

Great idea and a well executed design

The great thing about this device is that it looks like a part of the ps3. Personally i have the 80gb ps3 and havent even had the need for any more usb ports or card readers but for thos who only have one this device seems like it would be a blessing.

Lightbulb

Why not just buy a usb hub that has four extra ports, its way cheaper!

I've got a KONING 4-Port hub to connect to the PS3 USB port, works fine!

although the only problem is the power managment with larger USB products.