Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by korn16ftl3 View Post
    how do i get a piece of this, and another question if this law suit fails in cali can one be refiled in michigan under diffrent charges or something as there are diffrent laws in each state?
    If you read the PDF of the filing, the reason it is filed in CA is because that is where Sony's main location of business is in the United States. I don't see how it could be filed in another state unless Sony bases it's business there.

I'm all for this. I've played around with Linux a bit on my PS3 and while it doesn't make me hate my PS3 if it can't do Linux anymore, I am still quite upset that Sony felt they could remove something that I paid for. People keep complaining that in the terms of service that sony can change the software all they want, but this effectively is removing hardware features built in to the system (assuming you don't update to the latest firmware).

If you make the choice between Linux over online features (which were also advertised features), you will eventually lose the ability to play newer games and possibly new blu-ray movies which makes the blu-ray drive ineffective. I don't know about everyone else, but I certainly bought my PS3 more for blu-ray playback than games playing, though I happily do both frequently, and this ultimatum Sony has placed on me means that I will certainly be screwed either way. Way to go Sony.

That said, I am currently happy to play my Final Fantasy XIII offline and keep 3.15.

Very interesting news indeed. It had to happen I suppose, but whether the class action suit will succeed in all 5 counts, remains to be seen. $ony would have evaluated all their options carefully before 3.21. But perhaps (if it is possible) we can run a poll on this site.

Arrow

anyone interested in joining the class action can contact the attorneys in charge: http://www.mdpcelaw.com/news.cfm?article=128

There is an email address at the bottom of the article... or email Rebecca Coll who was the attorney who filed the class action, this is her page: http://www.mdpcelaw.com/attorneybios.cfm?Attorney=rcoll

Arrow Sony Class Action Info

Email her direct to join in...

Thank you for contacting us about the Sony PS3 class action lawsuit. Our complaint requests that the Court allow us to proceed on behalf of everyone in the nation who purchased a PS3 between November 17, 2006 and March 27, 2010. If you fit within these criteria, and if we prevail, you will automatically be included in the case (but will have the option of “opting out” if you wish). You will receive further information once we reach the stage of the lawsuit where we ask the judge to let us proceed as a class action.

We have added your email address to our database. Can you please provide the following additional information?

• Mailing address (if different from below)
    • Telephone number
    • Date of purchase
    • State of purchase

Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Danielle A. Burke, Paralegal
    Meiselman, Denlea, Packman, Carton & Eberz P.C.
    1311 Mamaroneck Avenue
    White Plains, NY 10605
    Direct: (914) 517-5058
    Telephone: (914)517-5000 Ext. 258
    Fax: (914) 517-5055

Arrow

I have now updated the first post with news of the fourth lawsuit filed against Sony for the PS3 OtherOS removal via IGN (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1092140p1.html) and the fifth, which demands a jury trial.

Quote Originally Posted by wormie123 View Post
    Why is it if people get a sniff at money they go running trying to gun them down.(1) It's their console their choice if it will reduce or attempt to reduce piracy then it's a fair option.(2) Fair enough people who are not involved in piracy get effected but this is the world we live in because people just want to get things cheep and ripped.(3) So it is going to effect everyone don't blame sony blame the pirates.(4)
    1. It's not about the money! Sony pulled Bait and Switch! Consumers are angry, pure and simple!
    2. Not if they cripple it to the point that it no longer serves its original and (at the time of sale) marketed purposes!
    3. Sony killed OtherOS to try to stop GeoHot, no? He had to modify the hardware to use his exploit! And even before he pulled it off, he claimed to be against piracy and stated that his exploit would not enable it.
    4. The pirates you speak of don't exist yet, the technicality being the exploit doesn't exist yet. Therefore, no software to enable piracy = no pirates on the system...
    Quote Originally Posted by Okiri View Post
    Wow, people now sue for everything... Good luck trying to win this case... against sony's lawyers!
    Must I remind you of the DRM suit that Sony lost awhile back because they installed rootkits onto their users computers?.. They lost that case... horribly!
    Quote Originally Posted by aries2k6 View Post
    Ya, I wish the guy good luck. The consumers have rights too.
    Amen to that!

I dont think sony should of removed that feature. Because the real hackers just dont have to update... simple as. The people that wont be hacking and want to use linux WILL update. So really Hackers STILL WIN and Consumers lose.

I hope Sony loses this, they messed up big time.

Lightbulb

Feature removal by Sony has 'Nothing' to do with security issues or preventing hacking... It's just one more non essential feature that Sony can remove from the system & make it a few $/ £ cheaper to manufacture in future.

The U.K. is constantly being ripped by sony, PS2 emulation, other OS, 2nd HDMI ports. If it lowers the manufacture price a little i wouldn't be surprised if they stopped CD music playback & allowed only MP3 DLC

WTF?! http://www.mdpcelaw.com/news.cfm?article=129
    Sony refunding all PS3 owners for removing an advertised feature

June 6 2010
    In the end of April the firm had filed a class action lawsuit against Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc., for Sony's decision to force users of its Playstation 3 console to either install an update that would disable the console's "Other OS" feature or lose the ability to play games with other users in the network. Because Sony failed to defend it's intentions in court, the judge decided that Sony will have to pay every PS3 owner, who bought his PS3 before March 27, 2010, a refund of 50% of the price when purchased.

The firm thanks all the PS3 owners who mailed, which made our voice even louder. PS3 owners that haven't mailed us should make contact with Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc to claim their refund. An European firm will also file a class action law suit against Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, Inc. We hope that we've done the PS3 owners a service. We are very glad as this is once of the biggest victory's in our firm's history.

Sony will also be at handing out refunds at "E3", a large video-gaming event, to all registered PS3 owners. A new article will be posted very soon on how Sony will be handling this matter.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast