Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

CES 2007: Kaz Talks PS3 and Blu-ray

Sponsored Links
    January 8, 2007 - Sony president Kaz Hirai was recently interviewed by the CES trade publication Blu-ray Today, and he commented on the future of the format and PlayStation 3. Most interesting of all, the leader defended the power of Sony's recently released next generation videogame console, whose first wave games have not yet proven the true graphic capability of the system.

"I have heard many people say our competitors' systems are just as powerful as the PS3. That simply is not true," said Hirai. "No other next generation entertainment system pushes the envelope on advanced technology like PS3. I have heard people say that a high-capacity game delivery vehicle like Blu-ray isn't necessary in a next generation computer entertainment system. You just can't expect that 9GBs of storage capacity found on today's DVDs are going to have enough space to hold tomorrow's games."

Hirai said that PS3 titles like Resistance: Fall of Man already utilize some 16GBs of storage space on Blu-ray Disc. "That game simply wouldn't be possible on any other system without using multiple discs."

The implementation of Blu-ray technology was one of the primary factors in the delay of PlayStation 3 to the marketplace. Hirai admitted that the launch was problematic, but defended the decision to go with the format.

"I don't think anyone could have foreseen the difficulties we encountered in the production of the blue laser diode for the PlayStation 3, which ultimately delayed the launch of PlayStation 3. We were asking our teams to develop millions of components for the PlayStation 3, like the Blu-ray Disc player and cell broadband engine, that had previously only been produced in the thousands," Hirai said.

He also seemed to suggest that had Sony gone the Nintendo route and released a marginally more powerful console, the launch would have gone much smoother. "A worldwide launch for any console is quite ambitious. In fact, it has never been done before. I suppose if we had simply done a mild upgrade to the PS2 and not pushed the envelope so hard, it would have been easier on ourselves. However, if we did that every time, we wouldn't be Sony."

Thanks to [Register or Login to view links] for sharing the news with us!

Sponsored Links

PS3 Square Button

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxing View Post
    DAY 12: My ps3 60gb is still sealed in its retail box waiting sometime spring, to have its capabilities "push the envelope", as KAZ noted. Here's hoping Motorstorm for NTSC, live up to its hype... unlike the lackluster features shown on the Japanese version.
    PLEASE DON'T SUCK.
    you just don't give up do ya?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by RaWbLaDe View Post
    you just don't give up do ya?
    doesn't seem like it.... the rest of us will marvel with the enjoyment we get from the current list of games and know PS3 games will be even more advanced for the system then PS2 games were and still are for the system.... the rest will just whine and moan until they give in like i did, and wonder what the hell to do with my XBOX!

excellent article - i've always stood behind Sony and never really been crazy about gaming before the XBOX hit.... following the XBOX, i wanted the 360, but saw it wasn't THAT much of an improvement over the previous generation, as the article notes the reason why Sony waited for the technology to just work the way it was supposed to! Sony got into trouble when the XBOX was first released, and still held their margins with a substantially better system, and now with the PS3 being released about a year after the 360, they certainly have the better system out on the market.... i own the best Sony Ericsson phone available in the US and the best consumer-spec digital camera they make and know they won't need to be replaced for years to come..... that's how Sony works, because 2nd place is the first loser!

Angry

Fellow Gamer,

After reading your post, I am inclined to think a multitude of thoughts. Are you for real? You have spent fine money, or aquired this 'device' and you let it sit in a box. OK.. millions of people wouldnt... After this fact, you go on a board and tell the world of your... um , smugness? I honestly dont get it ...
    Please inform me sir.. what is it that you ARE playing?

Quote Originally Posted by xboxing View Post
    Let me reduce your multitude of thoughts so you don't get a brain tumor (and yes, I'm for real... no, I didn't spent that much money): $570 for a PS3 60GB (total payment) with 2-year Walmart warranty (with receipt) unopened, still sealed.... GOT IT ON CHRISTMAS DAY. Yes, worth keeping in a closet until a WORTHY GAME is worth playing (like Motorstorm, MGS4, Lair, Assasin's Creed, or Devil May Cry).

Smugness huh... that's new on my list of PS3-FANATICS-WHO-LOVE-TO-CALL-ME-NAMES. Another one even went as far as to call me a "Microsoft Employee." Now that's funny.

I tell ya.... the only thing funny are reading you ps3 fanatics' posts! All of you just plain take this too personally. Take a break from your PS3 joystick and get some outdoor air! Relax, it's only a videogame console.
    OR IS IT.....
    I understand what you're saying. I get pretty fed up when I see all the fanboys jump to unreasonable conclusions all the time. I myself jumped at the opportunity to play Resistance when I got my PS3, but if that's not your kind of game I can see keeping the system out of harms way until you really want to play it. It's more understandable than people buying the PS3 and letting it gather dust before you touch it when the game you want to play comes out.

So guys, back off of xboxing. This thread is supposed to be about what Kaz said in the press release, not why xboxing isn't playing his PS3 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chouonsoku View Post
    So guys, back off of xboxing. This thread is supposed to be about what Kaz said in the press release, not why xboxing isn't playing his PS3 yet.
    so tell me, its perfectly okay for trash talking of the PS3 to come on the SECOND POST of this thread by "xboxing," but for us to question why the user even bothers to come on here and post, we're being told to "back off?" learn some respect - if he feels the need to post and we feel the need to respond (then you respond with a post completely irrelevant of the topic--just trying to play mediator--telling us what this thread is about), let it go! thank you.

now, for the last time, i am NOT a "Sony fanboy" - in fact, on the first half-dozen or so posts, i thought i made it quite clear how i bought the PS3 after having a modded XBOX for some 3-4 years.... i enjoyed my XBOX until something much better came along to replace it, and if it weren't for people like yourself, "xboxing," i wouldn't have nearly the dislike for the 360 - i preferred to wait for the PS3 like many others on this board for a BIG jump to come between systems instead of the jump from the regular XBOX to the 360 (warning - that comment is ON TOPIC for those who are paying attention!!!!!)...

the fact that 360 owners come on the PS3 section of PS3NEWS to say something as pointless as "i have a 60GB PS3 new in the box and i refuse to open it and enjoy it for the 2 seconds it would take for me to go back to hating it and playing my 360 which is far superior in every way" really makes me think twice about bothering to post any further..... so hate on it all you want, keep up with the pointless posting, get the support from a minority of members on here, and if nothing is done to prevent the nonsense posting (this post included) regarding how much you dislike the PS3 and how absurd some of us think you are for telling us in every thread, then i don't see a point in coming on here but for checking the recent PS3 updates and news.

Again... you buy a machine literally millions would love to have... you go online... proclaim your elitism... and continue to finger point.... honestly... did your parents have children that lived?

xboxing doesn't even have a PS3. he keeps talking about how he's played these ps3 games in great detail, yet his PS3 is still sealed. At the same time, anyone who hates the PS3 as much as him would be a fool to even buy it. The guy is just blowing smoke up everyone's ass.

And yes, Motorstorm will live up to the hype. (hooray for 1080p games that run at 60fps!)

Keep the debating at an adult level guys... I just banned one kid for weaving a tapestry of obscenities and deleted another post for starting to. I have no issues with heated debates- but I won't sit here and read "high school" vulgarities within them. Thanks!

Xboxing - you obviously have more time than anyone and love to have the last word. Just look at how many posts you have put up and have only been a member for a short 5 months. You say the same thing in all of your posts. What other forums do you subscribe to. I would like to see some of your more intelligent arguments. Maybe we should all go over to the 360 forum and say "I have a 360 and it's still in the box". "I'm waiting for some real games to come out". Drop it already. Everyone know you have all the consoles and are leaving them in the box. Because you don't have time or whatever. But enough time to post at least an average of every day.

moderators - I have quit reading a lot of PS3 chat lately because I'm tired of seeing this guy's same argument. Why don't you just ban him already. It's clear that no-one appreciates his flaming. There are no debates in his posts, it's all flaming. He makes a lot of ridiculous statements that people are tired of hearing. I mean come on, look at his screen name. Xboxing - he wants to fight for the xbox! If that's not a fanboy name, I don't know what is. It has double meaning. Clever, but tiring to see for everyone. He needs to bring some useful information to the table, not just a bunch of garbage to get everyone upset.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News