Just thought that I'd let you know that there is a bug in the kernel source: linux-20061208/arch/powerpc/platforms/ps3pf.ps3av.c
(and the earlier version too) in the video_mode_table where aspect is wrong for the 720p modes. There should be line(s):
There was a typo. The actual file name is ps3av.c (linux-20061208/arch/powerpc/platforms/ps3pf/ps3av.c). You need to compile and install a new kernel for this to work. Here's how I did it with YDL 5.
1) Unpack the kernel source from the addonsrc cd:
tar jxvf linux-20061110.tar.bz2
2) Copy and use the kernel config file for this distro in the kernel source directory:
cp /boot/config-2.6.16-20061110.ydl.2ps3 .config
3) Edit and save the changes for the arch/powerpc/playforms/ps3pf/ps3av.c
4) Make the kernel
5) Strip the kernel
6) Copy the new kernel to boot
cp vmlinux /boot/.
7) Edit the /etc/kboot.conf to use the new kernel (for example like this):
ydl='/dev/sda1:/vmlinux initrd=/dev/sda1:/initrd-2.6.16-20061110.ydl.2ps3.img root=/dev/sda2 init=/sbin/init video=ps3fb:mode:131 rhgb'
8) Boot and pray...
Now remember this might be distro specific, but you should get the idea by now.