Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Braid Creator Drops Hints of a Possible PS3 Linux Port

Sponsored Links
    Roughly three months ago Braid was released on PS3 via PSN, however, recently I contacted creator [Register or Login to view links] and asked him about a possible port of the game to PlayStation 3 Linux.

To quote: I've asked Jonathan whether or not a Linux port of the game was in the works, since I've seen him hint at that in old posts on his blog ([Register or Login to view links] and [Register or Login to view links]). I'm glad to say that he reported that a Linux port of the game was indeed being developed. To quote:

"[..] one is in progress but hasn't quite been completed, but may eventually be released."

He also said that the porting is about 95% complete, but I don't know how much time it will take for the remaining 5% to be completed, so maybe it will soon be available, maybe not, but this is great hope for the Linux community!

I also spoke with him a little about Open Source, and I was pleasantly surprised to see him not completely reject the idea of open sourcing his game, but he said "it is not likely at this time", so although it is not likely to happen, it is maybe another hint of hope for the future!

Finally, as my last bit of news. Just in case you were wondering, I also asked about possible DLC, to which he answered (no surprise):

"There will probably not ever be DLC for Braid. The game is complete without it."

That's it, I hope these news are comforting to those who are just dying to play Braid on their Linux systems!

KaKaRoTo

Braid Creator Drops Hints of a Possible PS3 Linux Port

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    That is fantastic news. It always impresses when a game developer releases open source stuff. The world would definately be a better place if more people realised it is not all about the $$$'s. N! is a great open source game. If anyone hasn't played it, I suggest they try it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyHart View Post
    That is fantastic news. It always impresses when a game developer releases open source stuff. The world would definately be a better place if more people realised it is not all about the $$$'s. N! is a great open source game. If anyone hasn't played it, I suggest they try it.
    hehe, well, I never said he would open source it, I only said that he didn't seem afraid of the idea, and said "not likely at this time". Obviously, it's still too early for him to do that, considering that the game is still new and he still needs to get proper revenue from it. But maybe, just *maybe*, although not probable, he might open source it in the future (after he moved on to something else and Braid isn't selling anymore as much as it is now).

So I hope people aren't misinterpreting what I said... just wanted to clear that up.

I agree with what you say about revenue, and that might be the biggest (if not sole) reason for not open sourcing it. However, if he were to open source his game, perhaps the appearance of user created DLC would become popular?

Quote Originally Posted by kakarotoks View Post
    I also spoke with him a little about Open Source, and I was pleasantly surprised to see him not completely reject the idea of open sourcing his game, but he said "it is not likely at this time", so although it is not likely to happen, it is maybe another hint of hope for the future!
    Probably like Id Software, releasing last generations tech as open source. I wouldn't expect the code to be released until he felt there wasn't much more money to be made on it.

I'm not sure the code would be incredibly useful, anyway. Braid's impressive features were in the creativity of the milieu, the puzzles, and the hand-drawn art. It wasn't really groundbreaking in terms of technical wizardry.

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News