Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It will be beat, but exactly like gaunter said blu-ray burners will cost 1500 dollars and anyone that rich doesn't need to burn games. And the plus side to blu-ray won't just be longer movies, but insanely amazing graphics and probably longer gameplay. That's not the case for ps2 because it can't handle all that.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by xelan69
    It will be beat, but exactly like gaunter said blu-ray burners will cost 1500 dollars and anyone that rich doesn't need to burn games. And the plus side to blu-ray won't just be longer movies, but insanely amazing graphics and probably longer gameplay. That's not the case for ps2 because it can't handle all that.
    I agree with the first part... blu ray may take a while to crack but it will be. I would think there would be blu ray to dvd9 rips first or for being cheap.

For the second part, the extra space and speed of transfer on the disc doesnt mean that movies or games will be long or have better graphics thats up to the makers of the game/movie and for graphics the power of the console. Look at GT4 that game has beautiful graphics and doesnt even fill a dvd9. With blu ray I think they will just be able to put tons of extras on, well and with the new consoles they need more space to hold the bigger file size of graphics/movies. Or they will just use blu ray discs because the security is suppose to be better for anti-piracy. I did remember hearing sony saying they wanted to make a add-on for ps2 to have a blu ray player so ps2 could play blu ray movies.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    as soon as it becomes a standard... people will hack the crap out of it :P

look at dvd's

also maybe im wrong, but i read sumwhere that the blu-ray and hddvd were going to join together or sumtin... meh

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper2
    also maybe im wrong, but i read sumwhere that the blu-ray and hddvd were going to join together or sumtin... meh
    well there was a few times that they were trying to get something going but i guess it didnt really get anywhere.

sorry didnt read above nm

blue --ray was chosen since it's got high capacity, and with these next gen gfx, I don't doubt the massive file sizes we will see that come with the textures, models, and coding that go with these great visuals. That's why I donwer about MS deciding DVD was good enough.... 9 gb max storage... no way... we will see thr return of muti-disc titles.

Itagaki said it himself, the DOA4 preview FMV was 4gb alone... that's nearly half a disc.. With everything in hd, storage is a big factor. And if MS sees ignoring the storage issue, with keeping cost down... they will have some short term sucess, but i nthe long run they done.. unless muti-disk titles become very very common.

But that drives costs up in a whole nother way... bigger cases, more cds to print.. etc... Sony in my book is smarter on this front. Costlier up-front, but, easier for devs and cheaper in the long run. Plus, this format is getting a very warm reception.

Ps3 is very likely to do for Blue-Ray, what PS2 did for DVD. I mean, when PS2 came out, the cheapest dvd players where about $350 ish. And Ps2 comes out for $300, plays games, cds, dvds. That's an attractive option. Now if blue-ray has a market release and public format before PS3.. then I definatly see that boosting Ps3 sales. But if blue-ray comes after, and the standalone player is just alittle cheaper than a PS3 or a little more, then it still stands to help the PS3. Cuz if you can buy a $400 BR player or a $400 gaming system, dvd player, BR player, cd player, which way are you likely to go? The beggining of this console war, will be based on the media formats and how they do outside of the gaming world. If BR gets good market share and is a welcomed format, Ps3 may take an easy lead.

If dvd continues to be popular, and a suitable format for HD-gaming, then maby the 360 will take it. Any rate, I don't see 360 walking away with a win in the books, and if they do get a w, then it will be very very slim. Playstation is a household name... X-box 360 shows promise... but a household name X-box is not.

I will bet you anything that this process will be beat...It's only a matter of time!

It will be very hard, since the encryption scheme can change with every movie/game (It is not player dependent, so they can change on the fly, unlike DVD's CSS). The only way really to beat this without some sort of massive brute force program (might become a solution... just will take like a week to crack a game with the decoding key changing every 4 bits) are like downloadable patches that tell how to defeat certain movies (assuming that the same movies have the same protection... if they don't, a brute force super-slow dump proggie will be the only choice).

Agreed, this looks pretty scary.

Still if you think about it we can't properly copy PS2 discs, we need modchips etc to emulate the few little bits that our standard DVD Writers can't produce.

It might be the case with BlueRay that a modchip will "emulate" for us the ROM Mark which that article talks about.

Interesting times ahead though!

How anyone know how long it was between the PS2 being released and then a functional modchip working for it?

Quote Originally Posted by muppet
    Agreed, this looks pretty scary.

Still if you think about it we can't properly copy PS2 discs, we need modchips etc to emulate the few little bits that our standard DVD Writers can't produce.

It might be the case with BlueRay that a modchip will "emulate" for us the ROM Mark which that article talks about.

Interesting times ahead though!

How anyone know how long it was between the PS2 being released and then a functional modchip working for it?
    Depends on what you mean by functional. The first, TRUE no-swap chip was the original Messiah (which caused an unbelievable amount of buzz at the time... and probably set the tone for the feuding between PS2 scene sites), and that was around 3-4 years ago I think.

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News