Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Australian PS3 Gamer Loses OtherOS Lawsuit to Sony

Sponsored Links
    While everyone awaits a verdict on the injunction in the recent PS JailBreak lawsuit hearing, another Australian PS3 gamer has lost his OtherOS lawsuit to Sony recently.

According to GamePron.com (linked above) Michael Trebilcock had asked for AU $800 in compensation (the cost to rent a laptop for each day he was unable to use Linux on his PS3, plus fees), with a claim that the updated console could no longer be used as a computer.

To quote: "Unfortunately for Trebilcock, the Magistrates court heard that the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission cleared Sony of any wrongdoing regarding the upgrade, and the claim was dismissed.

Mr. Trebilcock was not made to pay Sony's legal costs."

Australian PS3 Gamer Loses OtherOS Lawsuit to Sony

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    As stated before when the lawsuit was filed, $ony can do what it wants. we agree to the user terms and agreements .. and we also have a choice u either upgrade the fw and loose OtherOS or keep OtherOS by not upgrading.

when i bought both of my ps3 i bought it to be used as a gaming system if i want linux i can use a real pc. and just to answer the comment some will post " i paid $499.99 and now we loose OtherOs" its like anything else, when a device first comes out we pay extra $$ for this commodity soon the price drops like now ps3 cost $299.99, i say the extra $200.00 i paid "then" has well been worth it for all the gaming i've done, and i'm sure most will agree.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It will be interesting to see if all the other PS3 OtherOS lawsuits go in the same direction as this verdict or not...

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    It will be interesting to see if all the other PS3 OtherOS lawsuits go in the same direction as this verdict or not...
    I'm not up on Australia's consumer protection laws / stance, but as I understand the UK is extremely pro-consumer and more specifically pro-consumer choice, so it may go differently there.

In the US, suits in California and other fairly liberal courts are likely to be successful against Sony, but I'm not certain how it would go at the Federal level. Are there any current US suits in regards to this?

I need to keep up better.

Well that sucks!.. so much for suing $ony.

Lets see what the outcome for US case will be. Though Sony might use this case as a example.

Quote Originally Posted by silentcircuit View Post
    I'm not up on Australia's consumer protection laws / stance, but as I understand the UK is extremely pro-consumer and more specifically pro-consumer choice, so it may go differently there.

In the US, suits in California and other fairly liberal courts are likely to be successful against Sony, but I'm not certain how it would go at the Federal level. Are there any current US suits in regards to this?

check these out there some of the lawsuits in the US: [Register or Login to view links]

[Register or Login to view links]

Sony can do whatever it wants... they wrote up their user agreements to keep them in the clear in the eyes of the law...but that doesn't make what they did right.

I can't see myself buying another console if this is how these guys are going to treat their customers. These companies want to excise way to much control over the systems they sell. I wouldn't have such an issue with what they did if it only disabled access to PSN because I don't need or use it anyways but the fact they they limit you to only playing old games and movies is crap. They basically crippled the main functions of the system you purchased if you wanted to save OtherOS.

Quote Originally Posted by silentcircuit View Post

California is liberal? I was under the impression that it was the opposite (at least in terms of who runs the state.) I'm curious as to you mentioning that the UK is extremely pro-consumer, because I did my reading and you are correct, but I also found that the major players in the EU are likewise. I think that the EU (UK included) have a much better chance at beating Sony than America. I guess we just have to wait and see, I hope I'm wrong though!

This was just a small claim. Hopefully the class action lawsuits go the consumer's way.

It's sad that the "Australian Competition and Consumer Commission" doesn't support the consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by Subverter View Post
    when i bought both of my ps3 i bought it to be used as a gaming system if i want linux i can use a real pc.
    You CLEARLY have no idea at all what are you talking about

PS3 computing capacity is WAY ahead of ANY PC in it's price category (and actually even in any category above) and that's exactly WHY some people really bought for it's capability to run linux / other OS including US Army and loads of other research facilities

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News