Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Atlus Confirms Persona 4 Arena as First PS3 Region-Locked Game

Sponsored Links
    This weekend Atlus has confirmed that Persona 4 Arena will indeed be the first PS3 region-locked video game for the PlayStation 3 entertainment system.

Up until now, all games (not Blu-ray movies) have been region-free on the PS3, however, the Atlus representative stated to [Register or Login to view links] that "Persona 4 Arena will be region-locked in all territories on both PS3 and 360."

Sony developers have been able to region-lock PlayStation 3 games since PS3 Firmware update 3.30, although publishers didn't utilize the option until the PS3 3.50+ SDK.

From Atlus Staffer lol, forums via [Register or Login to view links] to quote: "Sorry for the delayed confirmation, but yes, the PS3 version game will be region-locked. I certainly can't offer details as to why, but there might be an official response at some point.

To reiterate, our version of the game works for the North and South America regions. Also keep in mind that both the NA and JP versions have both English and Japanese text/voice options, making them nearly identical. I'm unsure of what the case will be for the EU version."

To quote from the official Press Release: Friends of ATLUS,

The last week brought with it news that Persona 4 Arena would effectively become the first PlayStation 3 system game to be region-locked. We can today confirm that this is true; the game will be region-locked in all its respective territories of release.

As we've ascertained from your impassioned responses online, this is obviously a tremendous frustration for many fans. We understand the various perspectives on the matter. Those who fear this is a slippery slope, the beginning of a dangerous and unnecessary precedent. Those who import foreign hardware for a multitude of reasons and expect to be unlimited in their software selection. Those who aren't necessarily affected by this issue, but who are principally opposed to it. We are not blind to these concerns and we pledge to grow ever more informed as to exactly what our fans want. It should be added that we were completely unprepared for the force with which the community communicated their disapproval.

There are, however, a few points to clarify. This is NOT the beginning of a new ATLUS policy, nor do we view it as a precedent or a slippery slope. If anything, your determination and dedication to what you believe in has certainly stood in the face of that. This is an isolated case, a situation precipitated by a number of factors, some of which are simply out of our North American hands. Moreover, and perhaps there is no way to convince our fans of this considering the magnitude of the betrayal many are feeling, but we are not doing this out of malice or a desire to control. Allow us to explain.

Persona 4 Arena achieves a number of triumphs for our North American publishing house. For years, our fans have asked us to include dual language audio in our games. Finally, with P4 Arena, we were able to deliver on that desire and include the exact same content as the Japanese release for our North American fans. Moreover, our North American community is often forced to wait months for a localized release (a plight our friends across the Atlantic can relate to). Again, with P4 Arena, we're able to release within two weeks of Japan. We pushed hard for these things. We know our fans want them- well really, EXPECT them- and we did our best to get as much for our release as possible.

The unforeseen consequence in all of this was that we had a version of our biggest game of the year releasing within a couple weeks in two territories, both identical in content, but at radically different price points. Importing, as great as it is for gamers who otherwise can't get access to a title, can also cannibalize the performance of a title in one territory to the benefit of another. While we're all one big ATLUS family, the reality is that the dramatic difference between the Yen and the Dollar makes for a dramatic difference in price. So the decision was made, perhaps at the expense of some of our fans, clearly at the frustration of many, to region-lock Persona 4 Arena.

For many of you, there is no explanation that resonates, no justification that atones for this fact. We can only endeavor to earn back your confidence and, to learn from your arguments. We absolutely recognize the fear this is the beginning of a trend. We in no way view it as such. Please also keep in mind that the game's excellent online multiplayer is global, a fact that is in no way affected by the region-lock. Players can compete against fighters from all territories.

A tremendous team of talented developers and artists poured their blood, sweat, and tears into Persona 4 Arena, and every reaction we've ever received to the game has shown that those efforts are readily apparent. The decision to region-lock P4 Arena was a business one, one that has very clearly affected how many perceive the project, but we ask you to please not overlook the exceptional efforts of the people behind the game and to work with us through constructive dialogue.

Thank you.

Atlus Confirms Persona 4 Arena as First PS3 Region-Locked Game

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Blah blah blah - indeed this will start the avalanche and all other devs and publishers will follow the suite soon. Also - as far as I remmember there were already at least 2 other PS3 games (maybe even more) region locked so this is in no way the "first" one ...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    To be fair, if the fights aren't turn-based I don't care about this game...

why would they region lock a game? I never understood the purpose. It is like being regionist or something where people of a certain region can't play.

As they said, they simply don't want to lose sales from their respective regions.

well if they didn't rip the heck outta some countrys with prices i for one being aus wouldn't buy a lot of games from os, i'm sick of the lies and money gougin from these doufuses. we aren't kids and know whats right fair and just. you to me sir are egg suckin gutter trash!!!

I really don't care what their reason is. Congratulations Atlus, you've lost a sale and all future sales. You now join my no buy list, along with EA & Ubisoft. Hope it was worth it.

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News