Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Banned User
    Sponsored Links

Post All-Guide: Installing YDL/VLC/MPlayer/SNES9x on PS3!

Sponsored Links
    Note: Updated YDL 6.0 Guide HERE!

General Notes:

1. The information in this guide is not my own genius creation. Information about getting linux running on the PS3 is avaliable on the internet and in this forum, but in bits and pieces spread all over the place. I thank and salute everyone whose methods I mentioned. I only take credit for putting things together in one place to make life easier for everyone.
    2. There are 1001 ways of doing things in linux. I picked the simplest ways and methods to accomplish the installations. Should anyone have any suggestions, feel free to post them.
    3. The assumption of this guide is that you've never used linux before.

Guide for Linux Install on the PS3:

Installing YDL on the PS3:

1) Downloading:
    Download Yellow Dog Linux (5.0 PS3 version) DVD iso from one of the following mirrors. It should be under the iso folder. [Register or Login to view links]

2) Burning:

Burn the iso to a DVD-R or DVD+R using your favorite program. I used DVD Decrypter, but Alcohol 120%, Imgburn and Nero should work. No special settings are required.

3) Pre-Installation Notes:
    a) I know the guide already mentions this, but it’s important so I’ll say it again, DON’T forget to backup your SAVED GAMES before formatting the PS3’s HDD. You can do that by using one of the cards supported by the PS3 (SD, MS, CF) or using an external USB HDD. USB HDDs have to be formatted as FAT32 for the PS3 to recognize them. Scroll to your Saved Data Utility in the PS3s XMB and choose Copy from the options.
    b) You’ll need a USB mouse and a USB keyboard. Use simple generic ones. Fancy ones might not be detected well and cause the installation to halt.
    c) YDL by default runs @ 720p resolution, even during installation. So, it’s better to install it on a PS3 that is hooked to a HDTV or a Monitor. There is a low resolution mode of install, but it requires Linux command line configuration. I don’t recommend it for novice users, and the attached guide doesn’t cover it. Perhaps you can find instructions about the text install mode through google.
    d) You can use this Official illustrated Guide to help you through the specific steps of the installation: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/downlo...o=file&id=3555

4) Post-Installation Notes:
    a) YDL doesn’t support the PS3’s wifi adaptor yet, so to go online, you need to use a wired Ethernet LAN
    b) The official guide mentions that you need to use the command “boot-game-os” to return to the PS3’s XMB. But, another way in YDL is to go to:
    Start --> Applications --> Applications --> System Tools --> Boot PS3 Game OS. (Enlightenment Session Only)

c) To go back to YDL. In the PS3’s XMB Go to
    System settings --> Default OS --> choose other os and reboot the PS3.

5) Regarding Sessions:
    At the log in screen, there is a Session option that allows you to pick the type of Session you want to use. The default is Enlightenment. However, I'd recommend GNOME when playing media cause it's more stable.
    (Sorry couldn't screenshot the log in screen, but it's straight forward so need to anywayz)

6) Installing Repositories to get YUM running properly to install programs:
    a) You are going to need the repositories in the therepos.zip. Extract the zip in your Windows. There should be 9 files. Now you need to get those files to your PS3’s YDL. You can get creative here, but the 3 easy ways are:
    1) Putting them on a SD/MS/CF card. YDL detects those with ease
    2) Putting them on an external USB HDD. YDL detects FAT32 and EXT3/2 Only
    3) Downloading them using the YDL’s firefox
    b) After picking your transfer method. Log in as root. That means in YDL’s login menu your Username should be “root” and your password is the root password you typed during installation.
    c) At the bottom right corner there should be a folder icon, click it. Double Click File System from your Left. Browse to /etc/yum.repos.d and copy the 9 files there. Overwrite if necessary.

7) Hooking Up your LAN cable:
    If your LAN is hooked UP during YDL boot up, it'll initialize automatically, If your LAN isn't hooked up during YDL boot up, you are going to have to activate it manually after connecting the cable.
    Go to:
    Start ---> Applications ---> Applications ---> System Config ---> Network
    Click on Activate and Then Ok.

5) Installing VLC: (For the codes, no quotations)
    a)Log in as root. That means in YDL’s login menu your Username should be “root” and your password is the root password you typed during installation.
    e) At the bottom, beside the firefox icon to the left there is a black box icon called Gnome Terminal. Click it. In the Terminal type “yum update"

Note: I guess the "yum update" step is optional. Only run it if any of the programs fail to install, and if you run it, ignore the errors.

f) After the update is complete. Type “yum install videolan-client” hit Enter, during the process it will ask if "this is ok?", just type "y" and hit Enter.
    g) After completion congrats! You have installed VLC

6) Post VLC installation Notes:
    a) Using an Enlightenment Session, when you go into full screen, VLC will crash. To avoid this. At YDL’s login screen. Click on Session and choose GNOME. It’s more stable.
    b) Once in GNOME (not as root), to launch VLC go to:
    Applications ---> Sound & Video ---> Video lan client

7) Installing Mplayer: (For the codes, no quotations)
    a) Log in as root. That means in YDL’s login menu your Username should be “root” and your password is the root password you typed during installation.
    b) Launch Gnome Terminal. (Just like you did with VLC).
    c) This time type: "yum install mplayer" hit Enter. (type "y" when prompted and hit Enter)
    d) After the previous step finishes, Type "yum install mplayer-gui" hit Enter.
    e) After process is complete, mplayer should be installed on your PS3.

8) Configuring, Launching and Using Mplayer:

Mplayer doesn't seem to pick the right drivers for the PS3 by default, so we are going to have to configure it.

NOTE: These configuration might not apply to everyone, I'm using a component cable, not HDMI.
    a) Log in as root. Browse to /etc/mplayer and double click mplayer.conf. Make the changes shown in the pictures:
    In video settings, vo=sdl
    In audio settings, ao=sdl (Scroll down)

b) Once in GNOME (not as root), to launch Mplayer go to:
    Applications ---> Sound & Video ---> Mplayer
    c) Using Mplayer now should be easy, right click and check out the options.
    d) If you pick a video and mplayer still fails to initialize, Open up a Terminal (we're still in Gnome)
    Applications ---> Accessories ---> Terminal
    Type: "gmplayer -vo sdl" and hit enter. I only had to do this once. After that, Mplayer caught on.

e) To go to full screen, DON'T PRESS f, Press C. just trust me. To exit, press ESC
    f) For further controls, check the Mplayer site.

9) Installing SNES9x: (Super Nintendo Emulation)

a) Download the SNES9x Source Code. Extract it in windows and transfer it to your PS3. (Methods for transfer are mentioned above in the repositories section)
    b) Log in as root. Launch Terminal. Type: "yum install snes9express".
    c) Back in GNOME "not as root", Launch a Terminal, and browse to the snes9x folder where you placed your source code.
    For example, I placed the extracted folder called "Snes" on my Desktop. And, I want to get to the snes9x subfolder.
    My code would be: "cd /home/jcorso/Desktop/Snes/snes9x", where jcorso is replaced by your username.
    Once There, Type “./configure && make”. if everything goes well, an executable with the name "snes9x" will be created.

d) To make life easier, I place the snes9x executable on the desktop after that.
    e) Now Launch snes9express, go to:
    Applications ---> Games
    f) Ignore the skin error. Go to Console--->Preferences, point it to the location of the snes9x executable and the ROMs and Hit Ok.

g) Select ROMs from the ROM selector and hit Power to play.
    h) To use the SIXAXIS controller, hook it up through USB (no bluetooth), go to the controller option, click on Configure Button Maps, Hit the PS button once, and configure the buttons as instructed.

10) Okay that's it. Take care everyone.

Happy Linuxing.
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    utrx999,

Thanks very much for the install guide so far all working great

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Excellent guide! Is there anyway to install SIXAXIS Bluetooth drivers?

Also the code "./configure && make" does this compile any source code in the directory for use with YDL/FC5?

Also do programs have to be installed via the Terminal? I ask this becuase I downloaded the FC5 version of ScummVM and double clicked the RPM file and it said it installed but I couldnt find it anywhere to run it. When I click on it again it says its already installed. Is there a way to uninstall so I can try installing it from the Terminal?

Thanks

my linux runs on my CRT TV screen, the resolution is unacceptable, how would i setting it to full screen, tried screen resolution but it said no refresh rates found

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal View Post
    - No Bluetooth drivers as of yet.
    - Yeah, it should work with most source codes. But not all. Cause some source codes are more complex and require configuration before compiling.
    - I find the terminal's yum install to be the most concrete. Cause it's built in. Kinda like windows update. RPMs work too, but somtimes they don't install things properly or in the right places like what happened with you. In a GNOME session, go to Applications. Under that, there should be an add/remove software tab. see if you can remove it from.

Quote Originally Posted by zandi
    my linux runs on my CRT TV screen, the resolution is unacceptable, how would i setting it to full screen, tried screen resolution but it said no refresh rates found
    This method doesn't make the change permenant. you have to repeat it everytime you log in. I find this to be safer than editing the resolutions sys config file.

Also it's a trial and error thing. You have to see which settings works best for you.

Log in as root, open up a Terminal, The command to change the resolutions is as follows:

First Type: "ps3videomode"
    This should print down a number. This number signifies your current resolution setting. Note it down so you can get back to it, should you pick the wrong resolution later.
    From this table and formula, you can then tell what it actually is:
    Video mode ID:
    0:automode
    YUV 60Hz 1:480i 2:480p 3:720p 4:1080i 5:1080p
    YUV 50Hz 6:576i 7:576p 8:720p 9:1080i 10:1080p
    RGB 60Hz 33:480i 34:480p 35:720p 36:1080i 37:1080p
    RGB 50Hz 38:576i 39:576p 40:720p 41:1080i 42:1080p
    VESA 11:WXGA 12:SXGA 13:WUXGA

full screen mode: <video mode ID> + 128
    dither ON mode : <video mode ID> + 2048

To change the mode to what you want:

Type:"ps3videomode -v (the resolution ID number without brackets)"

Example, foor me the best setting is 720p @ 60Hz, Fullscreen. The ID would then be 128+3 = 131.
    Therefore my code would be:
    "ps3videomode -v 131"

After you change the mode the screen will go crazy. If it's toooo bad. Then the resolution you picked is not for you. You can still move around the mouse and type. so pick another one. If you find a stable screen, but the windows are out of place. log out and log back in. The windows will be in order again.

Can someone tell me whats going on with my YDL. I followed a lot of giudes how to install thing (VLC, Mplayer. Snes etc, but I cant see where they have installed too). I followed the snes one step by stpe and its exactly the same, i cant find where it has installed it for some reason?

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal View Post
    Also the code "./configure && make" does this compile any source code in the directory for use with YDL/FC5?

Also do programs have to be installed via the Terminal? I ask this becuase I downloaded the FC5 version of ScummVM and double clicked the RPM file and it said it installed but I couldnt find it anywhere to run it. When I click on it again it says its
    already installed. Is there a way to uninstall so I can try installing it from the Terminal?

Thanks
    - No Bluetooth drivers as of yet.
    - Yeah, it should work with most source codes. But not all. Cause some source codes are more complex and require configuration before compiling.
    - I find the terminal's yum install to be the most concrete. Cause it's built in. Kinda like windows update. RPMs work too, but somtimes they don't install things properly or in the right places like what happened with you. In a GNOME session, go to Applications. Under that, there should be an add/remove software tab. see if you can remove it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by zandi
    This method doesn't make the change permenant. you have to repeat it everytime you log in. I find this to be safer than editing the resolutions sys config file.

Also it's a trial and error thing. You have to see which settings works best for you.

Log in as root, open up a Terminal, The command to change the resolutions is as follows:

First Type: "ps3videomode"
    This should print down a number. This number signifies your current resolution setting. Note it down so you can get back to it, should you pick the wrong resolution later.
    From this table and formula, you can then tell what it actually is:
    Video mode ID:
    0:automode
    YUV 60Hz 1:480i 2:480p 3:720p 4:1080i 5:1080p
    YUV 50Hz 6:576i 7:576p 8:720p 9:1080i 10:1080p
    RGB 60Hz 33:480i 34:480p 35:720p 36:1080i 37:1080p
    RGB 50Hz 38:576i 39:576p 40:720p 41:1080i 42:1080p
    VESA 11:WXGA 12:SXGA 13:WUXGA

full screen mode: <video mode ID> + 128
    dither ON mode : <video mode ID> + 2048

To change the mode to what you want:

Type:"ps3videomode -v (the resolution ID number without brackets)"

Example, foor me the best setting is 720p @ 60Hz, Fullscreen. The ID would then be 128+3 = 131.
    Therefore my code would be:
    "ps3videomode -v 131"

After you change the mode the screen will go crazy. If it's toooo bad. Then the resolution you picked is not for you. You can still move around the mouse and type. so pick another one. If you find a stable screen, but the windows are out of place. log out and log back in. The windows will be in order again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggblahhh View Post
    Can someone tell me whats going on with my YDL. I followed a lot of giudes how to install thing (VLC, Mplayer. Snes etc, but I cant see where they have installed too). I followed the snes one step by stpe and its exactly the same, i cant find where it has installed it for some reason?
    You mean the programs won't launch at all? or you just can't find their folders?

The snes9x executable is where you compiled it.The link to Snes9eXpress which is used to run the snes9x executable is under:
    Applications --> Games (Gnome session)

If for some reason it is NOT there, simply launch a terminal and type "snes9express".

As to where snes9express folder is, it's under /usr/share in your filesystem. not much there though. only skins.

You didn't say if you installed VLC or Mplayer using the steps from this guide or another, so i'll wait till you clarify.
    Last edited by utrx999; 03-29-2007 at 09:09 PM

I did the mplayer and snes install from this guide. The programs do not show in my Applications > games or Applications > sound & video. I have no idea where they are lol, although if i type "snes9express" or "vlc" into terminal they launch. What have I done wrong?

Thanks

I just want to be able to put exe's of the programs i have installed on my desktop.
    Last edited by Eggblahhh; 03-29-2007 at 09:26 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Beautiful guide, this had to have taken hours to make the guide. Glad you had the time, I have these things installed, but definitely don't have the time to write a guide like this

I am impressed that you included the Snes9xExpress too (Have it installed as well) it is much more convenient than the terminal. Just wish we could get OpenGL working now.
    Last edited by hacked2123; 03-29-2007 at 11:54 PM

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggblahhh View Post
    I did the mplayer and snes install from this guide. The programs do not show in my Applications > games or Applications > sound & video. I have no idea where they are lol, although if i type "snes9express" or "vlc" into terminal they launch. What have I done wrong?

Thanks

I just want to be able to put exe's of the programs i have installed on my desktop.
    Hmm. It happens I guess. I don't think you did anything wrong. I can't think of any substantial soltuion. Just some thoughts: The link to Mplayer will only show up after you install Mplayer-GUI. I only find the links when I log in as a normal user (not root) in GNOME. Launch them from the terminal a couple of times and restart. They might show up then. If not, ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Calos
    Is it possible to use a ps1 emulator on yellow dog for the ps3?
    There is a linux version for ePSXe. I haven't tried it. But, I have a very strong gut feeling it won't work. I browsed through the graphics plugins. ePSXe uses OpenGL and D3D. These won't work in YDL. Either Sony and Terrasoft include OpenGL or 3D accelaration. Or somone comes up with a ePSXe graphics plugin for the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123
    Beautiful guide, this had to have taken hours to make the guide. Glad you had the time, I have these things installed, but definitely don't have the time to write a guide like this

I am impressed that you included the Snes9xExpress too (Have it installed as well) it is much more convenient than the terminal. Just wish we could get OpenGL working now.
    Thanks. You did alot of good work with blu-ray backup too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xplic1T
    theres no way use the wifi in ydl right ?
    No. Sony's fault.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News