Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Sponsored Links

help

Sponsored Links
    hi , i install the yellow dog on my ps3 and all what i get black screen ?? so now my ps3 freeze not working .did you know what i must to do to fix this problem and unisatll this yellow dog AND RESTOR THE ORIGINAL PS3 SETUP ?

sorry for my bad English
    thank you

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks for guide.

Is there any way for NeoGeo emulator? I know there is one for Linux but not sure if for PS3 Linux as well.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by utrx999 View Post
    Yup, I'm still alive.

Joysticks do not work with 5.0.2. Only 5.0 and 5.0.1. I tried to find a way to get the driver files from one version to another, but I couldn't.
    im having the same problem also. after installin ydl 5.0.2...the js0 and js1 files are gone. also it doesnt recognize the sd cards and my cd/dvd/blu-ray drive either. can someone help us?

Banned User
    Again, Yup. I'm still alive. If people who asked are still checking, here are the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCoMagNuM View Post
    im having the same problem also. after installin ydl 5.0.2...the js0 and js1 files are gone. also it doesnt recognize the sd cards and my cd/dvd/blu-ray drive either. can someone help us?
    As I said, latest ydl = no joysticks. Also, to protect against people dumping games, bluray drive is now disabled in ydl.
    Is there any way for NeoGeo emulator? I know there is one for Linux but not sure if for PS3 Linux as well.
    Neogeo is demanding. crippled PS3 ydl can't handle it well. atleast for now.
    hi , i install the yellow dog on my ps3 and all what i get black screen ?? so now my ps3 freeze not working .did you know what i must to do to fix this problem and unisatll this yellow dog AND RESTOR THE ORIGINAL PS3 SETUP ?

sorry for my bad English
    thank you
    As you power your PS3, Keep holding the power button for 5-10 seconds. This should reset the settings and boot the game-os.

Banned User
    Hello Everyone.

With the release of YDL 6.0. I thought I should update my guide.
    YDL 6.0 vs. 5.0:
    Goodies:
    - 6.0 has built-in WiFi Support
    - Joysticks in 6.0 are now working again, as opposed to version 5.0.2 (Still via USB though, Bluetooth requires super extra work)
    - 6.0 has updated linux kernel.
    Baddies:
    - I haven’t been able to get VLC to work in 6.0, Only Mplayer.
    - Performance-wise, there is still no access to hardware acceleration so many high quality videos will still lag.

Installing YDL 5.0 on the PS3:

1) Downloading:
    Download Yellow Dog Linux (5.0 PS3 version) DVD iso from one of the following mirrors. It should be under the iso folder. [Register or Login to view links]

2) Burning:
    Burn the iso to a DVD-R or DVD+R using your favorite program. I used DVD Decrypter, but Alcohol 120%, Imgburn and Nero should work. No special settings are required

3) Pre-Installation Notes:
    a) I know the guide already mentions this, but it’s important so I’ll say it again, DON’T forget to backup your SAVED GAMES before formatting the PS3’s HDD. You can do that by using one of the cards supported by the PS3 (SD, MS, CF) or using an external USB HDD. USB HDDs have to be formatted as FAT32 for the PS3 to recognize them. Scroll to your Saved Data Utility in the PS3s XMB and choose Copy from the options.

b) You’ll need a USB mouse and a USB keyboard. Use simple generic ones. Fancy ones might not be detected well and cause the installation to halt.

c) YDL by default runs @ 720p resolution, even during installation. So, it’s better to install it on a PS3 that is hooked to a HDTV or a Monitor. There is a low resolution mode of install, but it requires Linux command line configuration. I don’t recommend it for novice users, and the attached guide doesn’t cover it. Perhaps you can find instructions about the text install mode through google.

d) You can use this Official illustrated Guide to help you through the specific steps of the installation Here. ([Register or Login to view links])

4) Post-Installation Notes:

a) YDL doesn’t support the PS3’s wifi adaptor yet, so to go online, you need to use a wired Ethernet LAN

b) The official guide mentions that you need to use the command “boot-game-os” to return to the PS3’s XMB. But, another way in YDL is to go to:

Start --> Applications --> Applications --> System Tools --> Boot PS3 Game OS. (Enlightenment Session Only)

c) To go back to YDL. In the PS3’s XMB Go to
    System settings --> Default OS --> choose other os and reboot the PS3.

5) Regarding Sessions:
    At the log in screen, there is a Session option that allows you to pick the type of Session you want to use. The default is Enlightenment. However, I'd recommend GNOME when playing media cause it's more stable. (Sorry couldn't screenshot the log in screen, but it's straight forward so need to anywayz)

6) Installing Repositories to get YUM running properly to install programs:

a) You are going to need the repositories in Here, Extract the zip in your Windows. Now you need to get those files to your PS3’s YDL. You can get creative here, but the 3 easy ways are:

1) Putting them on a SD/MS/CF card. YDL detects those with ease
    2) Putting them on an external USB HDD. YDL detects FAT32 and EXT3/2 Only
    3) Downloading them using the YDL’s firefox

b) After picking your transfer method. Log in as root. That means in YDL’s login menu your Username should be “root” and your password is the root password you typed during installation.

c) At the bottom right corner there should be a folder icon, click it. Double Click File System from your Left. Browse to /etc/yum.repos.d and copy the files there. Overwrite if necessary.

7) Hooking Up your LAN cable:
    If you LAN is hooked UP during YDL boot up, it'll initialize automatically, If your LAN isn't hooked up during YDL boot up, you are going to have to activate it manually after connecting the cable.

Go to: Start ---> Applications ---> Applications ---> System Config ---> Network
    Click on Activate and Then Ok.

5) Installing VLC: (For the codes, no quotations)

a) Log in as root. That means in YDL’s login menu your Username should be “root” and your password is the root password you typed during installation.

b) At the bottom, beside the firefox icon to the left there is a black box icon called Gnome Terminal. Click it.

c) In the Terminal. Type “yum install vlc” hit Enter, during the process it will ask if "this is ok?", just type "y" and hit Enter.

g) After completion congrats! You have installed VLC

6) Post VLC installation Notes:

a) Using an Enlightenment Session, when you go into full screen, VLC will crash. To avoid this. At YDL’s login screen. Click on Session and choose GNOME. It’s more stable.

b) Once in GNOME (not as root), to launch VLC go to:
    Applications ---> Sound & Video ---> Video lan client

7) Installing Mplayer: (For the codes, no quotations)

a)Log in as root. That means in YDL’s login menu your Username should be “root” and your password is the root password you typed during installation.

b)Launch Gnome Terminal. (Just like you did with VLC).

c)This time type: "yum install mplayer" hit Enter. (type "y" when prompted and hit Enter)

d)After the previous step finishes, Type "yum install mplayer-gui" hit Enter.

e)After process is complete, mplayer should be installed on your PS3.

8) Configuring, Launching and Using Mplayer:
    Mplayer doesn't seem to pick the right drivers for the PS3 by default, so we are going to have to configure it.
    NOTE: These configuration might not apply to everyone, I'm using a component cable, not HDMI.

a)Log in as root. Browse to /etc/mplayer and double click mplayer.conf. Make the changes shown in the pictures:

In video settings, vo=sdl
    In audio settings, ao=sdl (Scroll down)

b)Once in GNOME (not as root), to launch Mplayer go to:
    Applications ---> Sound & Video ---> Mplayer

c)Using Mplayer now should be easy, right click and check out the options.

d)If you pick a video and mplayer still fails to initialize, Open up a Terminal (we're still in Gnome)
    Applications ---> Accessories ---> Terminal
    Type: "gmplayer -vo sdl" and hit enter. I only had to do this once. After that, Mplayer caught on.

e)To go to full screen, DON'T PRESS f, Press C. just trust me. To exit, press ESC

f)For further controls, check the Mplayer website.

9) Installing SNES9x: (Super Nintendo Emulation)

a)Login as root and open up a Terminal. Type: “yum install snes9express”

b)Download the SNES executable Here. Extract the zip. Copy the file to your PS3.

c)To make life easier, I place the snes9x executable on the desktop after that.

d)Now Launch snes9express, go to:

Applications ---> Games

e)Ignore the skin error. Go to Console--->Preferences, point it to the location of the snes9x executable and the ROMs and Hit Ok.

f)Select ROMs from the ROM selector and hit Power to play.

g)To use the SIXAXIS controller, hook it up through USB (no bluetooth), go to the controller option, click on Configure Button Maps, Hit the PS button once, and configure the buttons as instructed.

10) Thanks.
    Guide for Linux Install on the PS3: (UPDATED: 22-02-2008) (The following Guide Applies to the latest YDL version 6.0)

YDL 6.0 vs. 5.0:
    Goodies:

- 6.0 has built-in WiFi Support
    - Joysticks in 6.0 are now working again, as opposed to version 5.0.2 (Still via USB though, Bluetooth requires super extra work)
    - 6.0 has updated linux kernel.

Baddies:
    - I haven’t been able to get VLC to work in 6.0, Only Mplayer.
    - Performance-wise, there is still no access to hardware acceleration so many high quality videos will still lag.

1) Downloading:
    YDL 6.0 will be released to public mirrors on March 3, 2008. Keep an eye on the mirrors page ([Register or Login to view links]).

2) Burning:

I burnt on an Imation DVD+R using Nero 8. Worked fine.

3) Installation:

Whether you have YDL 5.0 already installed or you are starting fresh follow the official installation guide found Here

4) Installation Notes: (You’ll know what I’m talking about as you go through the guide)

a) I recommend using “install_ps3_720p” at the kboot screen. Note that the kboot screen only displays at SD resolution.

b) I strongly advise you to go through with the Media Test, discovering a bad burn now is better than jamming the installation later.

c) The network configuration you’ll be promoted to enter is for your wireless connection, not wired.

After installation is complete, Log in as root to continue the guide. Username: root. Pass: Whatever you entered during installation.

5) Setting your resolution:

a) Double Click Computer (If it doesn’t open, right click and browse folder). Browse through to /etc/yaboot.conf. Open it up. At the bottom, change the number in mode:4 to 131 for 720p fullscreen or 132 for 1080i fullscreen or 133 for 1080p fullscreen.

b) Save the file. Changes will take place in the next boot.

6) Installing the repos:

a) Download them from Here, Extract the zip in your Windows. Copy the files to /etc/yum.repos.d on your PS3. Overwrite.

- To install applications, your PS3 needs to be connected to the net.

7) Installing Mplayer:

a)Open up a Terminal

b)Type: "yum install mplayer" hit Enter. Since this is the first time you’re running Yum. It will connect to all repos and download pack lists. After that it will download the required packages for mplayer and install them. Type “y” and enter to continue when prompted.

c)After the previous process is complete, Type: "yum install mplayer-gui"

d)After that process is complete, mplayer should be installed on your PS3.

c) To use mplayer, open up a terminal, Type: “mplayer –vo sdl “/locationoffile/filename.avi” “
    Example: mplayer –vo sdl “/home/Desktop/op.avi”

8) Installing SNES:

The steps mentioned in the YDL 5.0 will work just fine here too. Refer to them Here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I updated the first post with a link to your YDL 6.0 Guide.

I can't seem to get Snes9x to run properly. I skipped installing the VLC and Mplayer since I'm not really interested in either at this time. I followed all the necessary steps. I followed the instructions for both V5 and V6. I have V6, but when it wouldn't work I tried (unsuccessfully with V5). The Snes9express is there, however it won't recognize snes9x.exe and I've no idea why. I get a readout like

execvp("snes9x", ...):
    No such file or directory
    - could not execute snes9x
    - make sure you have the correct snes9x path
    set in Preferences / Paths.

The path is set to the executable file, but it still doesn't seem to recognize it. Please help.

snes9x very low quality

does anyone else have horrible sound and laggy graphics?

i cant get passed the installation screen. im trying to install ydl 6.0 but nothing will happen. after i choose language and key board language nothing else happens. theres got to be something wrong. i installed all the other distros with no problem but i cant get ydl 6.0 to start installing.

also i did format hdd and repartition drive and allot 10gbs to linux. still wont get pass language screen. any help is helpful. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by oscare54e View Post

sorry for my bad English
    thank you
    When you turn on your ps3 hold the power button down for about 5 seconds and it should force the ps3 to boot into its original OS.

Sponsored Links
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News